Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2003, 07:44 AM   #1
buttsie

Default Any Suggestions anyone

I know absolutely nothing about managing a server so would need to have a managed solution.

My Budget is approx $100 per month. With this in mind do I have enough for a managed, dedicated server solution or would I have to dig my hands a little deeper into my pockets.

If this is enough do any of you have an recommendations?

Thanks for your help

Buttsie
buttsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:16 AM   #2
Gracklor

I actually have a server with Dedicatednow.com, and it too is unmanaged. I got in during their initial "free setup deal"....now, if you don't want setup, you pay $20 - $50 more per month depending on the server you're getting. Then, you can add CPanel/Webhost Manager for $12 a month. All in all, I pay about $120 a month for a P3, 512 MB of RAM, 80 gig drive, and 500 GB of transfer.

I actually didn't know squat about dedicated server, either, but the CPanel/Web Host Manager made things a lot easier.

I agree with Aleksd on the point that you probably won't find a managed hosting solution for $99 a month. (And if you do, you probably want to run away from them as quickly as possible...they'll eat your web sites or something.)

Last edited by Gracklor; 10-14-2003 at 09:19 AM.
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:57 PM   #3
inogenius

I would recommend going to Nocster for a managed server. They have servers for about 55 dollars a month (69 dollars a month with cPanel) where they will do most security updates and fix some errors for you when a problem occurs. You may also wish to go through a Nocster reseller, so that you'll have an extra layer of support being reseller, and then actual Nocster.

The cool thing about Nocster is that most of their support team uses AIM so you can contact them almost instantly. As for finding a nocster reseller, you may want to look at WebHostingTalk.Com and then post in the advertisement forums asking for one.

MainArea.com is one that I can think off the top of my head you may wish to look at.
inogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:34 PM   #4
Kathy

You might check with my favorite server solution:

www.effectonline.com

They might have a solution for you. I'm not sure though...your budget is a bit sliim for a managed dedicated box. Might you be able to share a box with a few other people to cut your costs and get a box that could handle several good sized sites?
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:46 AM   #5
denisdekat

I hear for the price, ev1servers.com (formerly rackshack) has some good deals I like Gnax/DV2 but they are more pricey...

HTH
denisdekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:47 AM   #6
denisdekat

Default correction

woops sorry, it was .net not .com as in http://www.ev1servers.net/english/index.asp

Sorry about that
Old 10-21-2003, 02:00 PM   #7
inogenius

Quote:
Originally posted by denisdekat
I hear for the price, ev1servers.com (formerly rackshack) has some good deals I like Gnax/DV2 but they are more pricey...

HTH
EV1 does absolutely nothing server management wise though.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:26 PM   #8
denisdekat

Sorry, my bad I thought they were managed servers...

I don't use them, I just know they have pretty good cheap servers, my friends are quite happy with them. Outside of them, I can't think of any Co that has servers that cheap, and managed too
Old 10-21-2003, 05:44 PM   #9
EMINEM79

If you know absolutely nothing about server management I would stay away from Rackshack and go with something semi-managed.

Nocster has been mentoined already and also http://www.servermatrix.com I heard was decent
EMINEM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

Another option to consider is a managed Virtual Private Server setup. These offer developers virtual root access and the allocation of dedicated resource allotments, but without the expense of leasing a whole server. Generally, a VPS will feature something like 6-12 accounts/box, which allows for some pretty robust application, but not quite the level that may be attained through a full ded.

Still, if cost concerns remain, something like ServInt's VPS may suit your needs:
http://www.servint.com/vps/

I recently moved a large site to a VPS setup away from RackShack and have not only saved money, but have had far greater levels of uptime and, just as importantly, hands-on service (patches, monitoring, etc).

Managed service is definitely worth the price if you do not possess the time sufficient to properly manage and monitor a server or two.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:04 PM   #11
inogenius

Is Servint still beta testing the VPS System? If not, I may get an account there for a new monitoring service I've been thinking of starting up. Anyway, back onto the topic....

You may also want to look into SpashHost.Com. They've switched from offering reseller accounts to "fully managed virtual servers." Their prices are fairly affordable too.