Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2002, 10:33 AM   #31
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool

I think they used a very long domain name for that reason, so 99.999% of the people that hear it won't remember it. It's only got 67 views since June last year and it took me a while to get it memorized!!!

::Another candidate for the spiderific Google, no doubt.

On all my store sites I don't even try to generate traffic to the index page or try to get people to link to them, I simply make the framed pages and then let the search engines add them, and yes, Google is the easiest one to get listed in.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:17 AM   #32
ceo

Arrow Great going !

Nintendo,

I wish someday I can make a site exclusive to the Amazon affiliate program and get good sales as yours.
I would like to know what % of your visitors come from what various methods....

I was thinking 90% from Searchengines, and though I see your in the Top 5 for Nintendo for the SE that matters the most, funnily, I also think that's not your 1 st soruce of visitors.

Could you advice. I am thinking on the lines of creating some sites as you were mentioning, but the HUGE, let me repeat HUGE competition is just killing.
Fortunately, I don't sit back but make money other ways that I can, much more easily : )
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 12:34 PM   #33
Nintendo

Lightbulb

Yes, search engines are the BIGGEST source, BIG time, thanks to the sites being around so long, one site being around since 1996. For the store sites, that's the only way I try to get people there, using the frame trick. I get the search engines to find it by adding a tiny hidden link on my content sites. My store sites have a much higher conversion rate than the content sites, since most people that go to the content sites are kids/teenagers. Pay Per Click is one way to quickly start geting sales, just make sure you submit A LOT of keywords, if you have it at $.01 per click. I got 12,874 keyword listings in goclick.com for example. I use 7search, FindWhat, and GoClick.

:::but the HUGE, let me repeat HUGE competition is just killing.

If you can get hundreds of files listed in Google, you'll get clicks!!!!
Old 11-28-2002, 01:20 PM   #34
Gracklor

Hmmm....I may have to put together a "shopping site" soon.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo
I got 12,874 keyword listings in goclick.com for example. I use 7search, FindWhat, and GoClick.

If you can get hundreds of files listed in Google, you'll get clicks!!!!
I can vouch for Google. Now that I've adjusted my joke site's PHP script to automatically add meta tags to my site's 600+ pages, Google is starting to spider them, and I'm starting to get hits on the content pages. In fact, I think that soon, Google will surpass Yahoo as my site's greatest source of search engine traffic.

Question, though, Nintendo: Around how much do you spend a month in these three search engines?

Last edited by Gracklor; 11-28-2002 at 01:22 PM.
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 03:20 PM   #35
Nintendo

$2.00-$3.00 a day, Amazon framed links. I have all listing at $.01 which is why it takes so many listings for me to get a few hundred clicks a day, from 7search, FindWhat, and GoClick. Today I'm adding around 4,400 listings to FindWhat, the most populer PPC search engine that I use.

I would probably also be using Xuppa.com and Ban-x.com but there not very friendly when it comes to submiting a ton of listings at one time.

I also use Brainfox.com, but there worth trash when it comes to geting clicks. I got about 10,000 listings there, the max allowed, and have got TWO clicks in the last week, with $597.550 left there!!!!! When I signed up with them they gave you an extra 500% so I gave them $100.00, not knowing I would only get about 2,500 clicks in two years!!!

Anyone here know how much the name of the domain can help generate sales? I registered these domains that will turn into Amazon.com stores.

make-a-kid-smile-buy-toys.com
its-showtime-buy-dvd-movies.com
its-showtime-buy-vhs-movies.com
rock-n-roll-buy-music.com
learn-and-gain-knowledge-have-fun-buy-books.com

and of course the Rush Limbaugh domain that will contain political book links,
WeWannaDoAnyThingWeWannaDoAnyTimeWeWannaDoIt.com

Originally I didn't plan to make book stores, but that changed when I put code book links on all of my code files. Thats giving me up to around 20 books a day being ordered which may not pay very much, unless it's 15%, but it sure does help you get up to the next tir faster, I'm at 6.5% right now.

If I don't get 100 items ordered in one day this year then I sure will when the next holiday season comes around!!!

Last edited by Nintendo; 11-28-2002 at 03:24 PM.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 06:48 PM   #36
Gracklor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo

Anyone here know how much the name of the domain can help generate sales? I registered these domains that will turn into Amazon.com stores.

make-a-kid-smile-buy-toys.com
its-showtime-buy-dvd-movies.com
its-showtime-buy-vhs-movies.com
rock-n-roll-buy-music.com
learn-and-gain-knowledge-have-fun-buy-books.com
Well, from what I understand, you've already gotten a bit of a head start by registering these domains. I believe that quite a few search engines will view hyphenated domain names as individual keywords. So the domain names themselves should help things out at least a little.
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 07:41 PM   #37
Nintendo

Cool

I wasn't even thinking about the search engines when I though them up, was thinking about the visitor, trying to give them a reason to buy, for example, buying toys for kids sure makes them smile, make-a-kid-smile-buy-toys.
Old 11-30-2002, 12:44 PM   #38
Nintendo

Cool

I did it!!!!!!! Got more than 100 sales in one day. Got 120, didn't even expect to do it on the day after Thanksgiving, since every one was supposed to be out shopping.

Guess the message worked, 'Get your Holiday Shopping done online. No long lines or traffic james, GUARENTEED!!!'

Here's the stats!!!!
Old 11-30-2002, 12:53 PM   #39
qball0213

What's your average commish per order, I think mine is around a buck or so.
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 10:04 PM   #40
Nintendo

About a doller something. Last year it was about $2.00 but with the Marketplace, and people geting more books, toys and other cheaper stuff ordered it's gone down. It used to be mostly video games, but now less than 25% of the sales are video games because of the PPC and non-video game stuff that I've been doing.

This weekend, using a free script, I edited it so it lets you get links extremely fast. I got around 5,200 non-video game links in about four hours which will be used to make the six web sites. Here's how. Copy and paste 10 links, go to next page, copy and paste 10 links, go to next page and so on. It's great when you want a ton of links fast!!!

There's a link at the bottom to download the script. On the main page, ignore the links on the right. On the rest of the pages it lists the category number and links to the category at Amazon using your category code.

Last edited by Nintendo; 11-30-2002 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:40 PM   #41
Steve_S

A really great thread everyone Another "Kodak Moment" in quality. Thanks.

Another way to stick the "MrRat" script right inside your site's look and feel using his template system.

http://www.free-webmaster-tools.com/...ype=AsinSearch

Note the one click pop

Please consider sending the "Rat" a $$ contribution.

This script is so easy to install and has a new version about every hour or two. </joke>
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 08:33 AM   #42
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Hey Nintendo, good job! You are truly an inspiration.

I'm averaging a little over a dollar per item purchased. The low marketplace commissions are balanced out by the 15% commissions I receive on the most popular item I sell.

Curious as to what ratio you all see between orders of Amazon items vs. marketplace items. Mine is ~ 5:1. The smallest marketplace commission I've received to date was three cents!

So far the strangest purchase made from my sites was eleven copies of a book titled, "Responsible Restructuring: Creative and Profitable Alternatives to Layoffs." Kind of an odd purchase considering my sites are all humor related.

I browsed that MrRat script. I'm getting tired of building links by hand, but I don't know Perl. Is this thing tricky to install? Does it require tweaking? In other words...can a programming-challenged idjit like me figure out how to use it?
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 10:59 AM   #43
Czar

Webmaster

Great work [x2] Nintendo. You've set the benchmark; now we'll have to see if any other Geeks can match it before Christmas.

Personally, I'm only doing about 10 items a day at present. That's from about 200 uniques a day, and I'm averaging a pitiful $0.50 commish/order. Sadly, that's just the picture from the past 5 days or so. Before that, the conversion ratio was even lower (closer to 1% units-to-visitors), which valued the traffic at less than one cent/unique.

Though I'm sure that conversion rates will remain high this month, it's still hard justifying granting Amazon a huge amount of exposure while that remains the case. (For me, at least. Your mileage should vary, and I can only hope that many of you have the same success as Nintendo.) I will, however, be giving a few of Nin's techniques a run for their money, and hope to see things improve somewhat; without a huge investment of effort or inventory.

Rhea, you should have no problems getting MrRat's script up-and-running. And if by chance you do, there will be plenty of Geeks ready and willing to lend a hand. For a brief run-down on the script's requirements and the installation process, please see this page:
http://www.absolutefreebies.com/dire...ucts-feed.html
In short, as long as you can change permissions (usually done through an FTP client), and know your server's path to perl (usually /usr/bin/perl, which is the script's default), the script will be functional within seconds, with the only necessary change being the insertion of your affiliate ID into a variable field within the script. Beyond that, everything's plain-ol' HTML.

Linking and customization instructions:
http://www.absolutefreebies.com/dire...-feed-faq.html

Best of luck.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 04:23 AM   #44
Nintendo

Cool

:::I'm only doing about 10 items a day at present. That's from about 200 uniques a day

Per click, I'm doing very badly, since a lot of them are from video game sites and the mean dead link trick. Gave them 242,352 clicks so far this quarter with 1,447 items ordered.

:::Curious as to what ratio you all see between orders of Amazon items vs. marketplace items.

November had 913 from amazon and 258 from the marketplace. Yes the script is very easy to put up. Edit one or two things, like your ID, and set the file permission and you got it.

Last year a lot more of the stuff was video games, for example from 11/29-11/30 26 out of 65 items ordered were video games and this year for the same two days just 33 out of 192 items were video games, showing how much the one new site has made a difference. Next year I'll find out how much all of the new sites do. Thanks to my version of MrRat's script making it so easy to get links, I'll probably have as many as 13 new sites up by the next holiday season. Have they invented Amazon Anonymous yet?? I need help, big time!!!!!
Old 12-03-2002, 06:57 PM   #45
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.
Thumbs up

I just wanted to give a public pat on the back to Czar for helping me get the amazon-feed script installed on my server. Without his assistance I definitely would have become frustrated and confused and given up!

Thanks, Czar. You're a pal!

Yum!!! Links!
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote