Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2002, 12:19 AM   #1
vincenttan

Default worth venturing? setting up entertainment portal that generates 5 mil impression/mth

well... i m runnning an entertainment portal site... more like a network of celebrity sites... and its geared towards asian celebrities... but really popular chinese artist..

the thing is.. i've just started the first one for 2 weeks now.. and its generating about average 5500 page views per day..

and i believe if i start expanding my network of sites to lets say 20 more celebrities... i can achieve few millions of page views per month..

now is this worth it? considering the amount of traffic i need to serve ... cost of server ..and stuff like dat..

coz i can't get into any ad network yet with my first site... .. and the cost of maintaining a site that generates few million page views per month isnt cheap..

and how much will this site worth ? for acquisition ? ...

i m tyring to figure all this out before i expand this network ..

and anyone knows of any asian ads network ?? .. i think there should be right? .. cater for asian traffics ... ? .. if yes pls let me know too

thank you all
vincenttan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 02:28 AM   #2
Edwin

Fundamental question: is all your content licensed and legal?

YES - it's worth analysing your prospects further

NO - end of discussion
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 02:45 AM   #3
vincenttan

well, our news are from many sources and we do not cut n paste directly.. we run in a weblog type of manner ..

we have editors around the world to get news for us..

and for our first artist, the recording company knows our existance and we are working with them to organize contest and stuff like that and also setting up official fan clubs ..

so what do you think?
Old 03-24-2002, 02:50 AM   #4
Edwin

Surely the most obvious thing would be to have the recording company be the official sponsor of the site or site-section relevant to them!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 03:02 PM   #5
cyrex
Member.

While you mentioned that your site content is for asians, It would be nice to know what % of your traffic is from us? If you have a high enough % you might get an american companies who target asian's to advertise on your site.
cyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 03:05 PM   #6
firstmark

It is a lot more work than you think to get to a few million page views a month.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 04:11 PM   #7
SWD

your work is always worth it. Also in case you get to hit that kind of traffic, 5 millions impressions a month how you said, you will be making good money.
SWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 10:11 PM   #8
vincenttan

i estimate that about 70% traffic are from asia... 30% shared between US, europe ... US more then europe..

it looks as through asia traffic is not in demand ..

the thing is my resources are limited..
by the time i hit 5 million impression per month.. i may not survive long enough to get advertisers... see.. thats the prob..
hehe..

i m hoping to grow while generating a bit of revenue to cover some expenses ..

even if i can get 5 mil impression .. which ad network will want it ? ... even for now.. burstnet, fastclick ... all those mid range ad network already rejected my application...
Old 03-24-2002, 10:22 PM   #9
Ted S

advertising is a rather dead part of revenue, only real nice sites and well converting sites make a profit. fan sites are not known to convert well so they donít do well with advertising... your effort should be to find a way to make profit, makes sales, etc.... if it means CPA ads thatís fine, if it means selling something that works too.. even selling access could work but donít expect banners to cover the costs

until you find how to make the money doing the site isnít worth it.. the goal of any venture should be to provide your service and to keep it running with a logical business model, fan/ entertainment sites donít usual have those

Last edited by Ted S; 03-25-2002 at 02:49 AM.
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 11:28 PM   #10
hobbnet

Ted said it well. I am currently working with a site that gets 3,000,000 + pageviews a month and so far it has been incredibly hard to get revenues that partially cover our hosting costs (nevermind other costs)

So, I would have to say be sure to have a good idea of where you are going to be getting your money from before you jump into it or else you might find yourself in trouble.
hobbnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 04:42 AM   #11
jasperz

It is very difficult to run fan based sites profitable, mostly because of hosting costs (most visitors are only interested in pictures). Futhermore, once your site becomes popular you can just wait until someone representing the artist contacts you regarding copyrighted content.

So if you want to expand your network, adding new celebrity sites is probably not the best way. A better way would be to add pages that have low bandwidth costs and don't contain copyrighted content. It this way, even if your average CPM remains fairly low, you should be able to run a profitable site.

The first thought I have about this, is creating a link directory for Asian celebrities. From my experience with Celebrity Link (http://www.celebrity-link.com/) I know that hosting costs can remain relatively low because most content is text based and you should generate some revenue by using the usual banners, buttons, popups etc. Besides this, selling posters and other celebrity related products can work really well.
jasperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:03 AM   #12
geekvillager

If it's your first site, start off with something you are interested in, something you are passionate about. You will learn a lot and there are a lot to learn. Most likely you will not get paid much in the near future. You can ask most other webmasters. It's the passion and interest that drive us. If we did it for the revenue, we would have given up long ago. Concentrate on building a site you are interested in and most importantly it must be of interest or beneficial to others. Then money will come later.
geekvillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:36 AM   #13
vincenttan

well.. i've been into web designing since.. html 2.0 ... i think.. hehe

but this is my first majority-asian-traffic site ..

i think not many people in this board created such site before... else someone would have suggested some asian ad network .. either that or there isn't such ad network !! .. haha
darn..