Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2000, 08:10 PM   #1
kantora
Member.

Question Searching main search engines from your site

i noticed that many search engines have affiliate programs under wich a webmaster is paid for searches made from his/her site. i noticed the payout is very low.. something like half a cent per search.
Has anyone tryed these programs and do they really bring in trafic or are you just sending your visitors away by doing this?
kantora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2000, 08:43 PM   #2
WebsiteSponsors
Member.

Lightbulb

I am not sure about the payouts but this could be a good way to earn money by using it to do searches on specific things related to your website....

Lets say you have a site that is related to "Car Repair" you could then put the code in for the search engine that you are an affiliate for and have something like "cheap car insurance" or something to that sort.

The words are aready there in the search box and the visitor just has to click the search button, and you are not giving away free traffic to your competitors.

Of course, you will want to check with the search engines rules to see if this is not against them....

------------------
Need a sponsor for your website? Join Website Sponsors and earn 12-20 cents per click and a referral program as well.
www.websitesponsors.com
Chet@websitesponsors.com

WebsiteSponsors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2000, 08:13 AM   #3
goose

Cool

Hi, I am using a number of these programms and they are great. 4anything pays six cents per search and ask jeeves and most of the others pay three cents. I agree the payout is a bit low but they have a high click through and there a good attraction for the site, regards Goose.

------------------
check out my web site at http://www.paralumun.com
goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2000, 09:47 AM   #4
mellow

Lightbulb

I am using SearchTraffic with great success.
Pays 5 cent / search and best of all, you can modify the search-box so it fits your site + use pre-defined search-terms!

Good Luck,

mellow
mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2000, 02:02 PM   #5
Meowser

Cool

Have you checked out where the SearchTraffic leads you to now? It no longer brings up a relevant search of your search terms - instead it brings you to http://clickheretofind.com/ and banners pop up trying to get you to sign up for some mailing list.

I consider this a bait and switch by SearchTraffic.com - I liked the program because I could offer the search engine easily for my visitors. But now that it no longer brings up what they might be searching for it's time to dump the program. Ever since I discovered this yesterday I've been removing them from my pages.
Meowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2000, 02:38 PM   #6
mellow

Cool

I've just tried to search from my own page and I was redirected to About.com as I always been...

Thanks,

mellow

Old 02-26-2000, 02:54 PM   #7
Meowser

Cool

Try it from my site and tell me where you end up - http://www.meowser.com/d/

When I try it from my other website it goes exactly where I expect it to at about.com - but from my meowser.com domain it goes to the url I gave above.

It's at the Bottom of the page where it says Search The Net - Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Meowser (edited 02-26-2000).]
Old 02-27-2000, 03:26 AM   #8
mellow

Cool

I end up at ClickHereToFind.com and I think I found out why, it's something wrong with your searchtraffic-code. I'll email you with details...

Thanks,

mellow
Old 02-27-2000, 10:31 AM   #9
Meowser

Cool

Yup, somehow my code got trashed during some updates I've been doing. Though how and why I've not a clue since that wasn't part of the pages I've been changing.

Thanks for checking and for letting me know what you found.

Old 02-28-2000, 08:06 AM   #10
torifan

Question

Mellow, I'm curious, why use searchtraffic to bring up an about.com page, when you can use about.com's affiliate program directly? It also pays 5 cents per click and you have a large choice of banners and text links.

Also, HOW does searchtraffic redirect to a context-sensitve search on about.com - sounds like a pretty neat trick?
torifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 11:02 AM   #11
12clicks
Member.

Cool

About.com pays 45 days from the end of the quarter (5.5 months later) SearchTraffic pays monthly.

About.com requires you to use their searchboxes and graphics. SearchTraffic allows you to use generic boxes and customize them to match your site.

Also, we are not members of About's affiliate program. We are partners with About in a number of projects, one of those projects is buying searches from SearchTraffic. If you use one of our searchboxes today there will only be a 1 in 15 chance of you ending up on about.com
12clicks is offline   Reply With Quote