Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2004, 12:42 AM   #1
Brett2004

Thumbs up Big site needs Big help maximizing revenue

I have recently helped take over (in partnership) an existing website that averages around 4M hits per month. The site has no controversial or adult material, and is primarily original content.

Up until this month, the site generated a two digit monthly income through affiliate sales only (no adwords, adsense, or CPM programs).

We have recently been approved by Fastclick, Burst Media, RealTech Network, and Google Adsense. We applied and are awaiting word with Tribal Fusion and CaSale.

I have started implementing the code for Fastclick as primary, and with some trouble, have been getting defaults to Burst (although many seem to get lost in the transfer). We've placed Google Adsense on selected pages.

Fastclick has generated a significant income source (relative to what it used to be, anyway). Burst has been much less, and Google Adsense has generated a VERY small amount, considering the number of impressions we've sent there.

I know I'm getting long winded, but is there anyone who could share some tips for maximizing our income and use of ad space?

Thanks much in advance- I feel kind of like the 16 year old kid who has just been given the keys to a Ferrari. I don't want to wreck the thing, yet I know there's a lot of potential!
Brett2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:47 AM   #2
NathanSlow

If you give us the type of site it is we can help you out. I would suggest putting adsense that is embeded into your content, alone with 1 banner ad at the top of the page. That always gets me going, Since about 60% people will look at ads embeded into the test, I get high CTR with adsense because the links are embened and users are always interested.
NathanSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 01:18 AM   #3
Brett2004

The site is a love, romance, and dating advice site, with a large amount of love poetry and lyrics as well.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-10-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
PistolPete

Have you tried signing up for one of those dating affiliate programs. Given the theme of your site, you should do well with something like that. I believe the pay you a commission for each signup.

Pete
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
e_d

Default yes

Yes I would say go with a dating website that pays you per valid email. I believe alot of them pay at least $1 per signup...
e_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Hi Brett,

Welcome to the "Village" and best of luck

Please consider posting the URL of your Mainstream site in this thread for even better advice with repsect to exactly how your adverts are integrated into your content. For example, we have had a number of threads on the effect of changing colors and position of the AdSense advert on your pages. Sometimes even better results can be obtained with tweaks of this nature.

Good luck
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:59 AM   #7
Brett2004

The website is:

links2love.com

I currently have the 'chain' of defaults set up as:

Fastclick -> Casale -> Burst

I'm waiting to hear back from Tribal Fusion, and I've been approved by Realtech Media, but their user interface and seeming lack of CPM campaigns has kept me from implementing it yet.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, as far as choosing minimum CPMs and selecting campaigns so as so maximize revenue and minimize PSAs and blank defaults. There seems to be a wide range for variation here.

I put Casale's pop-under on the front page only, and have it as default on others. I think Google Adsense is only on a couple of pages at this point. It really hasn't generated a significant income as far as eCPM is concerned- but perhaps I need to learn more about this as well.

Thanks again for all your help- I look forward to posting, and contributing what I can to this forum in the future!
Old 10-11-2004, 04:41 AM   #8
dRD

I would personally approach the ad setup by doing this kind of setup, before I'd start experimenting with various CPA deals here and there (to first get the idea of your "real CPM chances" for few weeks, so you know what would the minimum level of eCPM be that it is reasonable to run CPA ads on):

-remove pops and most ads completely from the front page, I consider frontpage to be the "hook" for users -- once they get deeper to your site, e.g. make decision to click through, they're in my mind more likely to come back later as well. And frontpage filled with ads is a big turn-off for most people.

-put FC popunders to other pages, default them to Casale's pop code

-use 728x90 AdSense as main creative, default it to FC, which then continues your chain if necessary. But, look for pages that don't have much content, like search page's criteria page, etc and use FC instead on those, as I've noticed that AdSense outperforms ad networks on content-rich pages, but ad networks perform better on pages with very little actual content.

-add channels to AdSense, so you can test various things for few weeks at a time (I don't believe in 1-3 day tests) to see what works best. Change your chain for four weeks at a time to see what ad networks perform best (in terms of eCPM). If you have a geo-targeting ability, try tweaks like "US impressions (or half of them) to FC and down the chain, but non-US impressions to AdSense", as Google can typically fill even Swahili ads pretty well :-)

...just my 0.02
dRD is offline   Reply With Quote