Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2003, 11:34 AM   #1
jnestor

Default AOL puts another nail in the pop coffin

I realize there was an earlier thread about this but figured it was long enough and this was important enough to put this in a new thread. Mods if you disagree feel free to merge the threads.

Just heard on the TV news today that AOL is making available a free pop blocker for download to their users. And worse the next version of the AOL software will include the pop blocking feature. No word on whether it'll be enabled by default.

It's clear that this was the next step for AOL to ward off the threat by Earthlink. It also seems pretty clear to me that MSN will likely be next. I highly suspect that within 9 months to a year most of the ISPs will make some form of pop blocker available to their users.

My prediction - a year from now 40-50% of the internet users will have a pop blocker installed.

Wild speculation - as pops are increasingly blocked and continue to fall out of favor the larger sites will increasingly use layer ads. Smaller sites will increasingly use multiple pops in an effort to save their revenue. My hope is that layer ads will largely be available only to larger well established sites and so we won't see as much of a demand for software to block them. Though this will increase the trend of more and more of the online advertising dollars going to the top sites and less to the smaller sites.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #2
jkcity

"Just heard on the TV news today that AOL is making available a free pop blocker for download to their users. And worse the next version of the AOL software will include the pop blocking feature. No word on whether it'll be enabled by default. "

I've heard there pop up blocker will not block pops on thier own sites.
jkcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:27 PM   #3
georgec

I saw the news on the web as well on this, though I get the feeling the feature won't be enabled by default. If that's the case, it makes a big difference than if it is.

I think by the time popup blockers become truly mainstream, such ads would have lost its effectiveness/appeal already. I'm not sure what the next big time is, but contextual ads from Google look promising. I think one way or the other things will work out for the best as net advertising matures even more.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 10:57 PM   #4
robwod

GeorgeC: actually, the report I saw on television (CNN newswire) said the user can "choose to view" pops if they want to, thereby implying it is enabled by default. The commentators even went so far as to wonder aloud why anyone would even want to enable the popups because they are so "annoying".
robwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:44 AM   #5
maddeningcrowds

Maybe this is true for the medium-long term. However, Pop ups are by no means dead yet. They are my highest earning spot by far. My fastclick popup revenue has been going up steadily for months - with little marketing effort going into my sites.
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:56 AM   #6
Chet

Quote:
The commentators even went so far as to wonder aloud why anyone would even want to enable the popups because they are so "annoying".
I would agree, these days you can't go to any website anymore without being bombarded with popups. It is almost like a darn video game now, you can see how long it takes you to shoot down all the popups and break your record. Anyone ever see that Earthlink commercial? That is about the truth of it these days. Though not all sites abuse popups but you can thank those the blast you with 2 pops when you go on their site and then when you try to close them they close but spawn new popups when closed. I must catch myself at least 5 times a day getting frustrated over popups...plus I am having troubles beating my high score. I would have a popup blocker myself but I know alot of non abusers depend on them to keep their sites online.

Someone here should invent a popup killer video game. See how many popups you can close in one day and then offer prizes to the top players.

Last edited by Chet; 03-13-2003 at 03:57 AM.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 04:29 AM   #7
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chet
Someone here should invent a popup killer video game. See how many popups you can close in one day and then offer prizes to the top players.
You have plenty of time on your hands now Chet, you can make one! I will play it for sure, to get better practice on my "trigger" finger.

I hate the ones you can't close until it fully loads and also delays the loading of the site you are actually visiting
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:02 AM   #8
Chet

Quote:
I hate the ones you can't close until it fully loads and also delays the loading of the site you are actually visiting...
And lets not forget the ones that don't give you a way to close them. You either have to do the control-alt-delete thing or restart your computer. Or the ones that have a "click here to close" link on them as a trick to get you to click on it so it opens a site with even more pops...
Old 03-13-2003, 05:36 PM   #9
sdarken

[Taking this thread even further off track....]

If you don't already know, ALT F4 is a pretty handy way to close the current active window (or popup) and it can be used repeatedly to quickly close spawned windows when you enter "pop-up hell". It's much faster than trying to close each window using your mouse.

Last edited by sdarken; 03-13-2003 at 05:37 PM.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 04:49 AM   #10
maddeningcrowds

Also, a long forgotten but should-be-remembered trick, "ESC" stops the download in the current window, meaning that window can't download its javascript code and start spawning more and more and more.....
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 10:43 AM   #11
jnestor

There already is a popup video game out there somewhere. It's a flash thing I saw on some site. It's actually only amusing for a few seconds and then gets old.

I too am making more than ever from pops. I don't think however that it's going to last. Pops are annoying enough that I'll probably install a pop-blocker too. 1 to combat the pop-hell sites but also to combat the multiple pops on mainstream sites like Washington Post and IMDb.

When even a webmaster who makes money off of pops wants to block them you know its bad.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote