Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2001, 08:06 PM   #1
starluck

Default Maybe the best freebie tip of the year for Geeks

This board always contains a wealth of invaluable information. Today, I came across a thread which for unrelated reasons was locked. Within that thread was a link to a great freebie suggested by FreeGraphic. I think she deserves Geek tip of the year for this.

Closed thread: http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=13458

Quote:
From Free Graphic. If you're looking for a free spreadsheet program, check out Sun's StarOffice.
I found myself in a similar situation as the originator of that thread. I recently bought a couple more computers and needed to get some kind of Office suite on them. I usually use Microsoft Office Professional, but I was looking at about $1,000 to get licensed versions.

I downloaded the program suggested by FreeGraphic. This is a free program downloaded from Sun Microsystems and its an excellent alternative to MS Office pro.

It's packed with every imaginable application you could want. It takes a bit to learn and has a very different feel than MS products. It is compatible with MS products and most competitors products. Certainly worth the trouble to download.

Last edited by starluck; 10-20-2001 at 01:04 PM.
starluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 08:53 PM   #2
Jan

Administrator

Pssst, FreeGraphics is a girl

Staroffice is rapidly being put on educational and government servers in Australia, replacing Microsoft products.

I haven't seen it as yet, but I have a copy on a 'free' CD that came with a computer magazine.

I will instal it one of these days
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 09:55 PM   #3
FreeGraphics

Pssst, FreeGraphics is an old woman.

Glad you like the software -- it's one of my favorite finds, also.
FreeGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 10:12 PM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

I've been using StarOffice on my laptop for over a year as a replacement for Office. I still prefer Office as a product, but it's hard to beat the cost appeal of Sun's alternative.

And chances are it will gain far more ground within the US (it's already huge in Australia, as Jan suggested) when Microsoft's revised licensing terms come into play.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 10:17 PM   #5
Lil_Red

It is gaining momentum here in the US. I've used it myself for almost 2 years and I know more people are switching to it now that Microsloth has made themselves even less desirable.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 09:42 AM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Funny, I was just cleaning out a few old Favorites and came across the following site, which presents an office software suite similar to StarOffice in that it supports the most common MS formats and is free for the taking (for basic license). Anyway, though I've never actually used this package, some of you may find it interesting:
http://www.software602.com/

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 10:05 AM   #7
LastActionHero

the 602 suite is good office suite. It has everything a basic office software should have.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 01:15 PM   #8
starluck

First my apologies to FreeGraphic, I've now edited my above post

All of these are great suggestions. It's amazing all the stuff you can find out about on this board. I had never heard of any of these products til now.

I like my "Microsloth" Office , but the cost of always having to buy a whole new software package everytime I add a new computer is a bit frustrating.

Now, because of these tips, I have a very workable solution at much lower cost.
Thanks to all.

Last edited by starluck; 10-20-2001 at 01:16 PM.
starluck is offline   Reply With Quote