Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2001, 12:58 PM   #1
anton

Question How good do you target your banners ?

Hello,

I was just wondering, webmasters of a big and small sites , how good do you target your banners ?

1. like, do you have different banners for each country (maybe not each , but some countries) ?

2. if you target by countries, you just get from what country they are from just a host name ? ...

3. if the same IP does two impressions on banner in the same day, second time you show him different advertiser ?

4. Maybe you target them by a time of a day ?

5. Do you target them by browsers (or maybe if they support flash/javascript or not) ?

6. Do you target them by operation system ?

7. From what site they came from ?

8. Maybe even you show the banners targeted by their OS language ? (this one would be cool, show to japanese ppl , japanase banners http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif )

9. On what page they are now (if u have one banner rotation software for all pages) ?

hmmm ... can't think of anything else http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif ... what else do you target them by ?

Thanks.
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 01:06 PM   #2
anton

Smile

ok ... here are some others ... I looked at what site can identify http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

10. Target them by their kind of CPU maybe ?

11. Connection type ?

12. Target them by a day of the week ?

13. at what resolution/color depth they run their systems ?

14. The width of the window in which user browse your site ?

that's all for now http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Old 07-08-2001, 12:30 AM   #3
clay
Member.

Unhappy

I think most people just target them based on what type of site they have. Like a car advertising banner on a car site etc. Or they try a little bit of everything, and keep the ones that work, find something new for the things that don't.
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 08:37 AM   #4
intellected

Unhappy

Hmmm, this is interesting... The ones that I find useful are:

Browser (javascript/flash)
More for detection purposes, than targeting, really - BUT it would be cool to target microsoft alternatives to visitors using netscape, for instance.

Country
YES! This is cool! It happened to me a couple of times, and I even clicked thru to see what it was. Localized targeting is in the future - I can smell it.

Language
I would be darned impressed by a site that displayed content in my own language.

Operating system
That would be very useful - displaying windows ME ads to windows 9x users, and displaying win2000 ads to NT4 users. Also, showing linux ads to linux people.

From reffering link
Man, combined with reciprocal links, this could turn into something bloody profitable. For instance, if you had a pet site, you could show dog ads to visitors that come from dog sites, and cat ads to people that come from dog sites. WAY cool.

Connection type
Broadband and DSL ads to modem users... Internet connection optimizers would also work.

I really cant see any use of the others, though.

intellected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 12:03 PM   #5
anton

Unhappy

thanks for all replies... waiting for more http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

also , aren't there any network that will let u put up any approoved banner linking to their site ?

also , with such targetting even on blind clicks you can earn more probably , you just have to spend a good amount of time designing all those different banners ...

and Scuba, if program is programmed smart, it won't take a lot of time to decide for it as to what banner to show to visitor ...

[This message has been edited by anton (edited 07-08-2001).]
Old 07-08-2001, 07:13 PM   #6
Marty Winston

Unhappy

I've been setting up a master-rep operation, and we're rolling up local media (newspaper/TV) sites so we can offer advertisers - like restaurant or store chains - the ability to geo-target to users of branded sites in the top 200 markets. It's been taking off like a skyrocket.

I'm also developing an online model with extraordinary tracking - and a really cool way to do it while preserving privacy - that allows a level of alser targeting the Web hasn't seen before. For example, if you wanted to reach women 31-33 eyars old who live in greater Duluth and have demonstrated an interest in both Jamie Lee Curtis books and swimming pools, and only on Thursday mornings, we'll be able to make ads appear on screens they view on the fly. I'm hoping to debut this early next year - I can tell you that it's based on a lot of Oracle 8i.

Targeting is the first reality check for advertisers - and branding is the most often underestimated component.
Marty Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 11:30 PM   #7
gethosted

Unhappy

Quote:
I really cant see any use of the others, though.
I disagree http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

I can see an ad targetted to people when it's late at night there. "Having trouble sleeping? Maybe our product can help.", or "Find yourself working late into the night? Your job could be destroying your health. We can help." with advertisements for such things as sleep aids or even an employment site.

"That old [name of processor detected] slowing down your internet experience? Come to Best Buy and get the newest version."

"We'd be willing to bet that with your current resolution, your monitor is not big enough. Try our larger monitor, it reduces eyestrain, and it has more colors than the one you're viewing this page through too."

I can just imagine prozac taking advantage of this one: "Got the monday blues? Does this normally happen? This may be more than just the normal ups and downs in life, you may be depressed.". On the other hand, appealing to ones sense of self help instead of tricking them into turning to a pill, one ad could be "Are you wondering why you're home on a Friday night while couples all over are having a great time? Check out our personals site and never be alone again."

It's really possible to target to anything http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Ezcoolpages: Free 20 megs webhosting for all sites, including celeb.
Harsh Rejection: Send a clever personalized E-poem to show your true feelings.
Celeb Banner Exchange
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 11:49 PM   #8
Scuba

Unhappy

I dont know who is targeting that specific but,
To do so - you will need advertisers from all countries, languages, products, ets...
If the ad network is big enoght, the problem will be the time from the moment the surfer come to the site, being detected, and the system need to decide what add to serve him and serve it.... LONG.
What i'd do to short cut it Concidering that the site is in English only, cut the system to 3 time Zons, US/Canada, UK and AU, and serve ad's acording to pik surfing hours from each zone.

------------------
Why don't you read the free literature we included with your computer? It's a Classic love story about a spanish guy named Manual
If you are into Video Editing - http://www.highvid.com
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 10:00 PM   #9
anton

Smile

Well , I have nothing to do and decided to see for each one what webmaster can do , please, respond as what do

you think about this...

1. like, do you have different banners for each country (maybe not each , but some countries) ?

first you can do a "news" ad about that country , for example "Germany wins a noble prize" , well , something

like this http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif ...

people from other countries , surfing US's sites would especially click on that .

3. if the same IP does two impressions on banner in the same day, second time you show him different

advertiser ?

this is not really a targetting , but a technic, and I think you can use this very wisely , for example you have

big site with a lot of pages, and you can make more revenue by having many advertisers (ad networks) there and

showing each time a different one to the same IP

this is not bad , like at about 7PM you can show ad like "tired from work ? come here , have some fun" ... or

like gethosted said ...

5. Do you target them by browsers (or maybe if they support flash/javascript or not) ?

well , that's again probably a technic, so you site wouldn't be looking stupid asking ppl to download a shockwave

just to see your add http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif ... you also can combine that with the speed of the internet, so for fast internet show

very cool flash banners

6. Do you target them by operation system ?

that's a good one too , ppl that are especially on Macs or *nix's will react to that , like you can make an ad

"Want to see an alternative for a windows ? " or "Recompile your linux's kernel now ! We will help you "

7. From what site they came from ?

first you can target by like TOP 10 of your referers , so what ppl came for, they will see it ... or you can also

analyze that site's meta tags and title for specific keywords, or maybe keywords of the text which links to your

site and see what those ppl are looking for

8. Maybe even you show the banners targeted by their OS language ?

well , that's about the same as targetting by countries, but a little different, b/c like many foreign ppl living

in US have their OS set-up for their first language, so when they see a banner relating to their home country and

in their first language , they will sure click on it (well, that's what would I do anyway http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif )

9. On what page they are now (if u have one banner rotation software for all pages) ?

that's can improve your CTR by a lot, if they are on page related to Half Life, you put up some intresting banner relating to HALF LIFE , and also have rotation of different banners, but still related to HALF LIFE http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif ... like , "improve your skills in killings"

I don't know if you can find out a speed of CPU , but you can see who made that CPU , so you can make banner like "compare your Intel CPU to an AMD" or "Upgrade your intel cpu NOW!"

11. Connection type ?

that's might help a lot, for fast connections you can show very cool flash banners, pop-ups, and for slow connections you can show banners like "Speed up your connection now for FREE!"

here you can make banner like on Sunday : "bored at home again , Click here to see what you can find FUN in your city" ... or on Monday at like 10AM : "boring work ? click here to find a new one"

here you can put up like banners offering good monitors, or something like this ...

14. The width of the window in which user browse your site ?

well , what can you do here ... hmm ... well , for once you can make a trick banner like "click here to maximize the window to see more important info"... something like that

well , I think that's it http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif ... just a suggestion , if you will spend time doing this , you won't regret this, I garuantee this to you http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

p.s. it's not proof-read, b/c I got lazy
Old 09-19-2001, 12:01 PM   #10
roy7

When you have this sort of data, even the basics and not the level of detail Marty mentioned, I think the way to go is to use the data to automatically optimize/target your ads for the greatest response and/or the greatest sell-through.

I did a Master's thesis on this actually (never did defend it though, need to do that eventually), where I used basic information like type of web browser, type of OS, and area of web site to optimize ad banners for increased click-through rates. It worked well. What led me to this was noticing two ads for the same company, one mentioning college sports and one mentioning something else, had very different CTRs based on domain name. As expected, the college sports ad did much better with .edu users than .com or .net. Depending on what you are doing, I think this sort of targeting is far more useful than choosing a demographic yourself. Look at the data, see what you can use to increase whatever you are trying to increase.

Say you are CJ or some other affiliate company, and have 20 affiliate programs to show. You and your publishers get paid on conversions. If you log various info with the conversioins, such as web site, area of site, country user is from, OS they are using, and whatever other demographics you have available, then you could optimize which offers are shown to maximize the # of signups. This makes the affiliate program more money, and the web site more money. But I don't believe any affiliate programs offer this sort of automatic optimization/targeting of their programs.

To answer the original question, although we have tried targeting CPA deals by country, we don't bother much any more. We can't find any ad networks to take our small site and it's low traffic anyways. I know a quality sales person could make us some good $, but they are hard to find and networks don't care about site-specific representation.

-Jonathan
roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote