Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell > Archives of old posts from Let's Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2001, 02:06 PM   #1
subprofile

Default Advertising on AIM Profiles

I run the site www.subprofile.com which allows users to "enhance" their AIM Profiles with a counter, guestbook, visitor log, stuff like that. The site has been up for less than a week and I'm already getting over 180,000 views to the subprofiles per day. What I'm looking for are advertisers who would allow me to put small textlinks on the bottom of the profiles and pay on a cpc basis. Now, this would be no problem except that when somebody clicks from an AIM Profile, AIM gives no referer address which most advertising companies need for fraud prevention. So, this AIM Advertising is sort of a cross between normal cpc advertising and newsletter advertising (since no referer). I'm sure I'll need to contact networks about this to work something out since this is a relatively new form of hybrid advertising. I'm wondering if anybody on this message board can suggest ad companies to contact. As I said before, I'm getting a ton of traffic and it's increasing everyday (I had over 4,000 user registrations yesterday). Thanks for any advice,
Toby

PS: Just for reference, my ctr will be somewhere between 1% and 3% (these numbers are based on the "Powered by SubProfile" link on the bottom of every SubProfile). My audience is anybody who uses AIM (I'd guess average ages 12-25).

Last edited by subprofile; 09-27-2001 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:43 PM   #2
Furton

I'm thinking the only networks that could work with you on such a personal level are the big ones or those with a good reputation.

Try these

www.valueclick.com
www.adallies.com
www.doubleclick.net
www.burstmedia.com
www.fastclick.com

There are probably others that other board members will list.
Old 09-27-2001, 07:55 PM   #3
xuniverse
Member.

hey subprofile:

my screen name is "themagictrickkkid" on AIM.. i may be interested in *partnering* with u with skinbot... www.skinbot.cjb.net

thanks,

aaron
Old 09-29-2001, 03:16 PM   #4
LaNMaN
Member.

Default Re: Advertising on AIM Profiles

Quote:
Originally posted by subprofile
I run the site www.subprofile.com which allows users to "enhance" their AIM Profiles with a counter, guestbook, visitor log, stuff like that. The site has been up for less than a week and I'm already getting over 180,000 views to the subprofiles per day. What I'm looking for are advertisers who would allow me to put small textlinks on the bottom of the profiles and pay on a cpc basis. Now, this would be no problem except that when somebody clicks from an AIM Profile, AIM gives no referer address which most advertising companies need for fraud prevention. So, this AIM Advertising is sort of a cross between normal cpc advertising and newsletter advertising (since no referer). I'm sure I'll need to contact networks about this to work something out since this is a relatively new form of hybrid advertising. I'm wondering if anybody on this message board can suggest ad companies to contact. As I said before, I'm getting a ton of traffic and it's increasing everyday (I had over 4,000 user registrations yesterday). Thanks for any advice,
Toby

PS: Just for reference, my ctr will be somewhere between 1% and 3% (these numbers are based on the "Powered by SubProfile" link on the bottom of every SubProfile). My audience is anybody who uses AIM (I'd guess average ages 12-25).
Is the window that the profile appears in a WebBrowser control?

Lenny
Old 09-29-2001, 11:26 PM   #5
subprofile

lanman: What is a webbrowser control? Please specify. SubProfiles open up directly in the AIM Profile window.

Update: I now get over 300,000 impressions/day and my server is getting bogged down so I'll need to make some ad deals. If anybody here is interested in some small text links for a cheap cpc rate, please email me. Also, I'm looking into coregistration (I get 4,000+ registrations/day) so if people could suggest companies/individuals who might be willing to partner with me that would be very helpful. Have a nice weekend everybody,
Toby
Old 10-05-2001, 08:51 PM   #6
david11982

I checked out your site, SubProfile, and I have to say I'm impressed with this service, especially the visitor log. I think you need more advertising on your actual site. I know you have those text links, but I wonder how much money they make. Most of your visitors are probably in the 18-35 range, which of course is a great age group for advertising.

On another topic, I think you can get more return visitors by allowing people to keep their visitor log private and make it accessible to them through your site. I don't know how you feel about the ethical implications of this, but I think that people have the right to know who is viewing their profile without it being displayed to everyone who wishes to see it. I also think this would make your service even more popular, because I know many people who have shown an interest in a private visitor log (myself included). I realize that you don't really need more traffic right now until your advertisers are set up, but I just thought I'd share those ideas.

In conclusion:
More advertising on your site
Private visitor log