Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2001, 11:16 PM   #1
sdarken

Default Complaint: Webshots

[ Some people may consider my complain pointless since the parent of Webshots (Excite) is currently under Chapter 11 Bankruptcy however a recent announcement from the director of Webshots says that "The current plan calls for Webshots to become an independent company and continue operation." ]

1. Complaint with: Webshots
2. Name: Simon Darken
3. Websites involved: alexis-bledel.com, piper-perabo.net, bigstars4u2.com,bigstars4u.com
4. Email Address on file: sdarken@bigfoot.com

5. Nature/Timing of Contact Efforts:
- Received termination email from webshots 9/13
- Sent email 9/13 requesting further information. No response received
- Sent email 9/25 again requesting further info. No response received
- Sent another 10/8 email and received response 10/10.
- Sent email 10/10 requesting further information. No response received since.

6. Nature of Complaint:

I joined the Webshots program on April 10th of this year and displayed approved Webshots banners on my celebrity sites for approximately 5 months during which time I earned approximately $75 (@ 3 cents per click). I abided by all affiliate program terms and conditions.

On 9/13 I received a brief email which said "Thank you for your interest in the Webshots Cash Club program. Unfortunately, your site is not eligible for our program." At this time my access to the affiliate statistics was disabled. After sending several emails requesting more information I was told "You account, sdarken, was flagged during the review process because it had an abnormally low download rate (10% or below). Accounts with abnormally low download rates are terminated."

My Comments:

The Webshots program is a pay-per-click program, not a CPA program. There is no clause in the terms regarding "conversion" rates and affiliates have no way of checking the conversion rate. I certainly believe that affiliate programs have a right to terminate affiliates who are not providing profitable traffic but when a company accepts traffic for 5 months before terminating an affiliate, I don't see that they legally have any right to withhold monies earned to that point.

$75 is not a big deal to me but the principle involved is. I am disappointed that I have to post a complaint about a normally reputable company such as Excite.

[Off Topic But Worth Mentioning]

The purpose of the Webshots website is to offer a wallpaper/screensaver download to visitors. According to a recent post on GetHigh Scumware Forums, and a brief comment on these forums, the Webshots download now includes Scumware Gator which is installed without notification or permission.

Last edited by sdarken; 10-21-2001 at 11:17 PM.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 07:19 PM   #2
Bomber

Cool

Very understandable, seems like more and more the advertising companies have no leverage these days.

I'm also an affiliate of webshots and have not been cancelled. Hopefully after this chapter 11 filing with Excite, they don't go under also.

I think you should try to get some phone numbers and call them to discuss your situation, its been happening more and more where us publishers have to go and chase our payments down.

Good luck!

Bomber
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote