Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
Decius
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default Stolen / Fake credit cards

Hi there,

Well, our orders are coming in more and more now it seems due to the fact that affiliates are starting to place our ads all over the place.

Our next problem is illegimate orders. I've received about 3 in the last few days that are suspect, and I'm not certain what to do.

Here are the details of my setup:

User enters credit card info on our page. We send encrypted data to processor, get validation, and then confirm the order. Money is withdrawn from card at end of day.

I have access to all the billing information, including the credit card information.

I do not have AVS (address verification service) but I don't think that makes too much of a difference since it seems many of these people have the billing information of the credit card owner.

My question is, if I have the credit card number and expiration date, what can I do to find out the owner's real name and phone number? How could I contact them to confirm the order?

The only method I'm using right now is to request the buyer fax me a photocopy of their drivers license and credit card, but I'm certain many legitimate customers won't want to do this, or don't have the means of doing it (especially just for some shirts).

I haven't called VISA yet but I don't think they'll be able to provide me with much.

Any info or help on this would be great. The main questions are:

1. If a transaction is suspect, how do I confirm with 100% certainty that it is legitimate or illegitimate?

2. What are some ways of spotting if a transaction is illegitimate?

Thanks!