Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2001, 01:58 PM   #1
ref
Member.

Default Bye, Bye commission tracking with IE6…

With IE 6.0 having the security at Medium High, anything loaded from a different site is blocked. This includes but is not limited to a counter image, affiliate image/id/js, so on.

My first observations of things that don’t make it are: CJ, Befree, advertising.com, and webtrendsonline tracking code, goclick js, image served in a email message … and my own js [since I served them from another server] :{.

The more people will switch to IE 6 and change the security settings a little bit higher … the more free lunch for your merchants
ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 03:14 PM   #2
Aaron Dragushan

Wow. This looks like a big stick in the spokes of affiliate and advertising networks. The only kludge I can think of that *might* work would be for sites to add a sub-domain that redirects to the advertiser/network?

so instead of calling ads/images/tracking from cj.com sites could call it from cj.examplesite.com

I don't know enough about DNS or the way this new system will be implemented to know if that would work though. Anyone have any other ideas?

Hmmm, I suppose another way would be for sites to use scripts to emulate calls to the advertising server, so the page would call localscript.php which would simply call the image on CJ and pass it the right variables, etc. It's a darn ugly solution though, and much slower experience for the visitor.
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 03:46 PM   #3
gagsplus

Default not a problem for most

I don't think this will be a problem for most people. How many people that you know who use AOL or a local ISP can go in and change their homepage, delete files from the cache/history. These are the people who pay Best Buy to put a new CD - ROM in their computer.

Even I don't really mess with the system security levels for sites. THink about the common user not the power user.
gagsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 03:46 PM   #4
clay
Member.

actually, the real problem is that cookies aren't accepted from off site in the medium security range unless the company has a microsoft approved privacy policy on a P3P platform. So it's not gonna accept those cookies(which is needed to track), even if you call them in a script from your site. It'll still show up as off site.
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 06:12 PM   #5
Jeff Booth

Why oh why did Microsoft have to do this? They should know the importance of cookies as far as 'e-commerce goes', considering they are investing what, 100 million dollars into proving online branding/advertising works?

As if having to deal with a crappy economy, adblockers and scumware wasn't enough, now we have to be concerned with our cookies and offsite advertisements!

Ahh, will it ever end?

Last edited by Jeff Booth; 09-03-2001 at 06:15 PM.
Jeff Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 09:05 PM   #6
suresk

Default Actually...

Its not Microsoft's approval you need, but W3C's

Creating a compliant Privacy Policy and getting cookies to work really isn't all that hard. I imagine most people can do it in under 15 minutes.

Also, for tracking to work, your site doesn't need to have a beefed up privacy policy, but the merchant's site does. I'm guessing bigger companies that have lots of programmers have already implemented compliant policies.

For more info on this, check out the Webmaster Issues forum.
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote