Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email > Anti-Spam Talk For Webmasters
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
Nikolas

Default Domain marked as spammer question

Recently I found that one of my main domains had marked as spammer.

I think this is too bad because propably I will get penalized by search engines for that. I believe that this done by the previous owner of the domain.

Does anyone knows how I can fix that?
Nikolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:45 AM   #2
wsz

How did you discover this?

Is this a domain which you just recently bought?

And, by "spammer" do you mean email? Usenet? Or spammy Web site optomisation practises (e.g. white-on-white keyword-stuffing)?

Also note that, some spammers will use a false domain in the "From" header for email spam. And if they insert your domain (either randomly or on purpose) then you may be blamed. E.g. a "Joe Job" where someone tries to make you look bad. Or a virus that spreads a spam, and uses random addresses from the infected people's email client (i.e. making the spam look like it came from you, because you were in the victim's address book.)

More details, please?
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:50 AM   #3
Nikolas

There are two or three databases on the internet that keep domains that have spammed. They do not keep domains that send mail, but domains which are advertised through spam.

For example if someone write in the body of an email my domain, the most email readers will consider it as spam.

I don't remember the name of this database, but I am sure that there are a lot of mail servers that use it to determine spam mail
Nikolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

A number of databases also catalog IP addresses associated with spammy domains.

It could be that your current IP, and not your domain, has been flagged. Plugging your IP into the following link would help to determine whether or not this is the case:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=YOURIP

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
c3r3br0

Default IP

Yes, usually, the IP is flagged not the domain name although the originating domain will be catalogged as well.

You might want to ask your hosting provider if they had an infection with a virus/worm that exploited their mail subsystem.
c3r3br0 is offline   Reply With Quote