Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2001, 11:44 PM   #1
DJ_B

Unhappy Best way to make money from his website...

Howdy guys!

A friend of mine runs a website. and me and him were curious how much money could be made from it. Right now he is making no money from it, since it has been mainly a hobby. But we figured "Hey! if it can be a money making hobby all the better! " http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
So basically what we are trying to figure out is

1) How much money can be made from his site?
and
2) What are going to be some of the best ways to make money from his site?

Now a little background on the site:

The site is a forum for the members of his city. It is only 3 months old, but already has nearly 700 members and 10000 posts. So obviously the site will continue to grow. This month he is set to get about 120000 page views.

One other problem we were discussing is that his city is very small and has only 2 ISP's. So basically nearly every user has a 194.xxx.xxx.xxx or 213.xxx.xxx.xxx IP. Is this going to pose a problem in banner tracking- mainly CTR's?

Here is the websites URL http://www.egizmokid.com/cgi-bin/iko.../ikonboard.cgi

Thanks,
Dave
DJ_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 12:35 AM   #2
wsz

Unhappy

There could be some problems due to the content - advertisers tend to dislike discussion boards and chat rooms, because (a) the CTR is likely to be low, since the users may tend to be very involved with participating, and (b) the users might post things with which the advertisers don't want to be associated. Unlike publishers, many obnoxious BBS/chat users don't care about whether their content is acceptable to advertisers.

Also, the site doesn't seem to have any specific topic or audience useful for targeting. It seems like it would mainly attract people with way too much time on their hands.

You seem to imply that most of the users are physically located in the same city as the publisher(?) If they are coming from a limited range of IPs, then yes, that could possibly be an issue with click-throughs, if different people dial up and get the same IP within maybe 12 or 24 hours, that could cause some of the click-thoughs to be disqualified as duplicates. An advertiser might also get suspicious seeing a large percentage of the clicks coming from the same two ISPs (i.e. they might suspect that the publisher is doing some of the click-throughs.)

The site notes, "All times are AbuDhabi (UAE)," implying that the publisher (and apparantly many users) are in the United Arab Emerites(?) That might severely discourage some US-oriented sponsors.

If I recall correctly I think Amazing Media *might* be willing to accept this general type of site. I suppose I can't hurt to ask.

Perhaps the thing to do would be to start some other site that would be more appealing to sponsors, and advertise that site with links and banners on the BBS/chat site?

Sorry I don't have any other suggestions.

------------------
Web Sponsor Zone - Internet Advertising Directory
http://www.websponsorzone.com
Earn Money With Your Site
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 05:02 AM   #3
funpage

Unhappy

Maybe you could try to find a sponsor that is local to you, since the site is targeted towards one city. The only trouble is that you'll probally have to do some offline searching for a sponsor.
funpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 06:55 AM   #4
Ralph Slate

Unhappy

You're going about this wrong. Instead of trying to find a national company to do banner sales, you have the perfect opportunity to sell local ads. Most of the rest of us can't do that.

It's easy to approach a local restaurant or other such company to ask them to advertise on your site. It's hard to find national companies who will listen to you over the other 1,000,000 people looking for their advertising.

It may require more work on your part, but a easy way to find the advertisers is to put an ad up on your site, or maybe a message on the boards, and see who responds.

Ralph

P.S. Don't sell your space by impression or by clicks. Sell it by the month. Most local advertisers are already familiar with that way of doing business. Guarantee that their ad will be seen X times, and rotate ads yourself so that a single ad doesn't get burned out.

[This message has been edited by Ralph Slate (edited 02-15-2001).]
Ralph Slate is offline   Reply With Quote