Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2000, 10:58 AM   #1
BlueHouse

Red face ClickXchange Valid vs. Invalid clicks

Someone's brought this up before but I couldn't find the thread. The amount of valid to invalid clicks we're seeing through ClickXchange seems almost unbelievable, often less than 90% of the clicks are valid, sometimes it's more like 80%. Today one of our sites had 7 invalid clicks to zero valid ones--that can't be right, we're no cheaters.

The only thing I can figure is that we have multiple ClickXchange advertisers on the same page and that maybe some clicks are not being registered if the same visitor goes to multiple advertiser sites. That still wouldn't explain 7 invalids to zero valids, when there was only one other visit to any other advertiser for the site.

We advertise on ClickXchange, so I appreciate the anti-fraud mechanisms, but I have to question their legitimacy based on what I've seen recently. I e-mailed ClickXchange, but you already know what they told me: nothing, they didn't answer. Anyone know?

------------------
Blue House Affiliate Programs Links
Who Wants Money?

BlueHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 12:36 PM   #2
WebsiteSponsors
Member.

Unhappy

I also used them on one of my websites as well for the text links. I applied for about 20 advertisers and they all approved me...

As soon as I put them on my site and got a few clicks on them just about all the advertisers cancelled me from them...

I don't know what the deal is with that but I took all CE links off my site right away and don't plan to use CE no more...

I emailed them about it three times, and of course no reply...
WebsiteSponsors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 12:40 PM   #3
WildComputer

Unhappy

I think I have figured it out

Y = Valid

N = Invalid (duplicate IP address on the same ad)

P = Pending. This comes up when a person clicks on a pay-per-lead/sale advert, but hasn't yet hit the page on the advertiser's site containing the lead/sale confirmation code. They may never hit the page, as once on the advertisers site ClickXchange can't track them at all, until the lead/sale tracking code page is reached.

For a pay-per-click program you'd expect mostly 'Y' and a few 'N' if a person double clicks or whatever

For a pay-per-lead/sale program you'd expect mostly 'P' (most people don't signup), some 'Y' (people who do sign up), and a few 'N' for people who double click or whatever. This is exactly what I see on my advertiser account.

------------------
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 12:56 PM   #4
AK

Unhappy

BlueHouse, I think you are referring to this thread. What I wrote there still is true, the clicks that ClickXchange register are 80% of what my own script registers and on top of that approx 10% are "invalid".
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 01:43 PM   #5
BlueHouse

Unhappy

AK, that is the original thread I referred to, and to follow up on something WildComputer said on that first thread, it's true that it is not in ClickXchange's best interests to declare clicks invalid--they only get paid if their affilates get paid. Because I know that that's true, it makes it even harder for me to believe that they would find so many clicks invalid (by the way, we only run pay-per-click with CE, so I'm not talking about leads or sales here).

It makes me wonder if someone's asleep at the wheel at CE and doesn't realize how much money they may be losing. (Again, we're advertisers, too, so I suppose we're gaining benefits from this on the opposite end, but I'd rather just have everything right.)

------------------
Blue House Affiliate Programs Links
Who Wants Money?

BlueHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 06:32 PM   #6
fairhousing
Member.

Lightbulb

just my personal thoughts

well ce is way too anal/paranoid about cheating/fraud. i've already had my words with the owner about this, it's all on this board some where. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

it would seem a key for what y, n, and p stands should be available, why the mystery? http://geekvillage.com/ubb/eek.gif

wildcomputer (think he's a longtime affiliate/advertiser with ce) seems to be the most knowledgable and biggest supporter of ce i know of besides the owner. so if u've got a q and they want answer it ask wc, he might know the answer.

------------------
Click 4 some tested resources for making money $, hosting, and web promotion.
My Site Got Hacked, But I'm Coming Back?
fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 07:06 PM   #7
WildComputer

Unhappy

I am almost purely a ClickXchange advertiser. I don't have clickxchange affiliate links except the referral code.

I have around 400 affiliates with my ClickXchange programs.

I also a program in Commission Junction, and more affiliates there.

My opinion - NOT fact. From an advertiser point of view:

CJ is way ahead in terms of support & functionality ...but then again it takes much more work to setup/integrate and costs $800 to open a program.

ClickXchange has better advertiser info on potential affiliates, and clicks received, and more flexibility for changing stuff around without having knock-on effects on affiliates.

Neither program is perfect. Neither program has perfect tracking. Both programs are honest.

CJ helps advertisers with the setup and verifies it for correctness - so they make sure the lead/sales tracking code is installed correctly. ClickXchange does not, leading for potential for incorrect code insertion for lead/sales programs.

and BTW

Fairhousing -
1. You can never have enough anti-fraud mechanisms. They are way too many cheaters.
2. Cheaters hurt not only advertisers, but also honest affiliates as they stop advertisers offering honest affiliates higher payouts, and they cost huge amounts of time.
3. Without referring to any specific program or network, ask yourself why many affiliate programs in networks try combined CPM/CPA or CPC/CPA models and quickly switch back to purely CPA ? I have spoken to perhaps a dozen merchants about this, and in every single case it's because within 24 hrs of putting CPM or CPC into their program hundreds of cheaters hit their program - either because of automatic approval or because of previously inactive CPA affiliates turning on them.
4. I remember the thread you refer to. As far as I recall (a) you got paid, and (b) they asked/told you not to frame links (?). I do not see what your objection to this is.

------------------
[This message has been edited by WildComputer (edited 05-04-2000).]
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote