Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/create
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Arrow GEEK/TALK CONTEST: Put your design skills to the test and WIN!

Hello all,

Would you like to trade your talents for cash in Geek/Talk's first ever design contest?

If so, then we've got just the deal for you! Geek/Talk needs some new badges. You need some new gadgets. Together, we're the perfect couple.

HERE'S THE DEAL:

Knowing how incredibly talented many of our members are in designing graphics, and knowing just how much you folks put my lame skill set to shame , I'd like to see YOU help to make Geek/Talk just a little more attractive.

What we need are graphical badges for use by our GeekGuides and members of Team/Geek. One of these was designed for the "Contributing Geek" program years ago. It may be seen at the top of this page, for reference:
http://www.geekvillage.com/contribut...ing_geek_1.htm

The new badges need not borrow any elements from that graphic, but they are to suit a similar purpose (appearing under our member names and avatars).

ELIGIBILITY:

Only Geek/Talk members with posting privileges are able to enter this contest. There is no entry fee.

WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU:

One lucky winner will be selected in a non-contestable decision made by Team/Geek within days of the contest's conclusion.

That fortunate member will win the choice of either:
1. $100 cash paid via PayPal
2. $100 Amazon.com gift certificate
3. One year's hosting under the "Business Basics" package by GC Host, which is valued at approximately $150. This includes 100MB space, 2GB data transfer and the provision of exceptionally personal service.
4. Four month's advertising placement within the "bottom region"'s text advertising panel on Geek/Talk. This region is outlined here and the placement is valued at $199.80.

(All prices quoted are in $USD. The winner is allowed only one of these options. Options 2-4 are not exchangable, refundable or redeemable for cash.)

CONTEST DRAWN:

Entries will be accepted until midnight (American EST) on 31 July, 2005. A winner will be decided by Team/Geek by 7 August, 2005 at the latest, with the winner's name being announced within this thread as the new designs are rolled into rotation.

The winner's entry will become the copyright property of iOnline Pty Ltd once the winner has chosen his/her reward and has received his/her chosen prize.

THE BADGES WE NEED:

1. Administrator/Webmaster
2. Administrator
3. Moderator
4. GeekGuide
5. Geek of the Month

The top three positions make up part of Team/Geek so you may choose to link those three stylistically if you choose.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Format: GIF or JPG. Transparent GIF preferable, as badge should suit both silver and white backgrounds.

Animation: Not essential, but welcome.

Size: No more than 150pix wide, 80pix deep. For reference, the Contributing Geek badge is 113x19.

Weight: <= 5 kb

Colours: Feel free to go crazy, but consider that the scheme selected should harmonize with our logo and the default forum skin (which features a tan background).

Graphical elements: While not essential, you may incorporate our propeller-cap image into the design (feel free to contact me to request a PSD of this if required)

DESIGN PROCESS:

Feel free to contact me with design drafts throughout the process if you'd like casual advice or guidance. Any advice that I give will carry absolutely no weight as far as influencing the contest outcome, but may assist you in deciding which direction to take on certain decisions. Feel free also to post your designs for public critique within this thread. You may modify your drafts until the contest close date, so multiple submissions will be allowed.

This forum does support BB IMG code, so you may feel free to embed images directly into posts you make within this thread. Please also feel free to post questions or comments within this thread if anything is unclear.

Please do not contact any members of Team/Geek other than myself via email or PM, since they will be making the ultimate decision and cannot enter into private correspondence for that reason.

SUBMITTING AN ENTRY:

Once you are ready to submit your final entry or entries, please do so via email to:
webmaster [ at ] ionline (dot) com.au

Your submission should include the following:
- Your full name
- Your Geek/Talk username
- All five badges in web-ready GIF or JPG format
- The original artwork file(s) (layered PhotoShop PSD, Fireworks PNG, EPS or similar)

Fine Print: Entries can only be retracted or modified prior to the contest conclusion date. No entries submitted beyond the contest conclusion date will be considered. No monetary compensation will be offered to entries that are not chosen as the winner. Multiple entries may be submitted by the same member, but entrants are ultimately judged on quality and not quantity. Once a winner is selected, the decision will be considered final and no further correspondence will be entered
into. Employees of iOnline Pty Ltd and members of Team/Geek are ineligible to enter this contest. Contest conditions subject to change without notice.

GOOD LUCK DESIGN GEEKS!

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV

Last edited by Czar; 07-17-2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

My artistic talens are limited to stick figures. (and poorly drawn ones at that.)

Best of luck to all!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:33 AM   #3
James

I may have a quick go, if I've got the time.

I'm not terribly good with creating things like this, but I'll at least try.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:38 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Thanks James. My design skills are about as limited as Robert's, but for those who have a flair for button graphics, this challenge should be loads of fun!

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 07-19-2005, 02:52 AM   #5
James

Okay, just wondering: so you're looking for something like this? (yeah, I know it's a PNG)
Old 07-19-2005, 03:05 AM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Potentially. You don't have to limit yourself to the exact dimensions of the existing Contributing Geek badge. Those details were simply provided for reference, but for all intents and purposes, that is indeed the type of graphic we're looking for.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
masm50

I'll throw my hat into the ring

I'm no professional, but I'll give it a go over the weeekend.

Cheers

Tim
Old 07-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #8
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow Tips and Good luck!

Good luck to all.

TIP: Iv'e found that using a screen cap as a template helps to visualize how your badge will look on the BB and insures that you don't blow out the cell/table since a badge which is about 165 pixels wide appears to be the max size.

Use your screen capture on one layer, lock it, and cover up the old text title with a rectangle and then insert your badge on another layer.

Like this GEEKS

http://www.g17.com/gv-help-1.html

HTH

Note: Hot link protection enabled on my site

Last edited by Steve_S; 07-21-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
Jan

Administrator

Clever tip Steve

I look forward to seeing our Geek Creations
Old 07-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
masm50

Default Here's my 1st draft

Well, here's my first attempt at a design competition.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Tim

Last edited by masm50; 07-23-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
Larwee

GeekGuide

masm50, I guess I should make a brief comment about one of those since it is a bit close to me right now. The one you have as Guide should be GeekGuide rather than just Guide.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #12
masm50

Thanks for the note Larwee.

I've updated the graphic.

Tim
Old 07-27-2005, 02:11 AM   #13
FunPunch

Here is our first draft.

Another Variation

Hope you guys like it.

The art work is original and exclusively created for this badge.

FunPunch

Last edited by FunPunch; 07-27-2005 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:14 AM   #14
Czar

Webmaster

Default LAST DAY!

Hi all,

Great work thus far. I've seen a few entries arrive already and they're looking very nice. Hopefully a few of those who contributed to this thread earlier will submit their final collections shortly.

Please be aware that it is currently 31st July EST, so this is the last day during which eligible applications will be accepted.

If you wish to enter, please be sure to submit your works today!

The diversity present in the examples that I've seen during the running of this contest has been fantastic and I'm sure that Team Geek will have a challenging decision ahead of them. Make sure that yours is one of the entries up for consideration by emailing your final copies to the address specified in my first post.

Thanks in advance, and best of luck to you all!

Old 08-03-2005, 07:40 AM   #15
Czar

Webmaster

I'd like to send a sincere "Thank You" to those of you who entered this contest. The quality of the entries has been encouraging and I'm sure that Team/Geek will have a great time debating the virtues of each.

I'll lock this thread temporarily for now so as to avoid confusion, but will re-open the thread in a few days to announce the winner.

Thanks again!