Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your pre-tax profit for fiscal year 2003-2004?
DUDE! I'm in the red for 5 figures or more. 1 0.88%
I'm losing thousands a year and it hurts! 0 0%
I'm losing hundreds and I can't sleep! 2 1.77%
I break even. 7 6.19%
My profit is 2 digits. 4 3.54%
My profit is 3 digits. 8 7.08%
My profit is 4 digits. 23 20.35%
My profit is 5 digits. 50 44.25%
I'm making 6 digits or more. I need a dump truck when I make a deposit. 18 15.93%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Default Poll: What is your pre-tax net profit for fiscal year 2003-2004?

Greetings fellow geeks,

In what has become somewhat of an annual tradition around here, the time has come once again to run a confidential earnings poll to track the general state of the online advertising/web publishing industry through a sample of our membership.

Previous polls:
2001 calendar year - http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=11635
2002 calendar year - http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=21181

In the interests of consistency and tradition, this poll will share the same criteria as Steve's previous efforts, with the one significant change being its focus on fiscal/financial years rather than calendar years. The reasoning behind this is that reports generated for tax reporting processes are more likely to give an accurate representation of a company's annual earnings activity than a calendar-year report.

Time span:
As per the discussion below, it's is clear that many of us work from different fiscal years. The figure that should be put forth in the poll response above must reflect gross operating profits generated by our members during their last complete annual reporting period. This can be July 03 - June 04 if that is your standard financial year, Jan 03 - Dec 03 if you have aligned your financial and calendar years, etc.

The following instructions are an approximate replication of those used in last year's poll:

Translations:

2 digits: $US 10.00+
3 digits: $US 100.00+
4 digits: $US 1000.00+
5 digits: $US 10000.00+
6 digits: $US 100000.00+

Definitions:

"What is your pre-tax net profit for fiscal year 2002/2003?"

1) See above. Please use the 12-month period accepted as the financial/tax year in the country in which your company/business is based.

2) "pre-tax net profit" for the purposes of this poll and a ballpark definition for self employed folks is :

I cashed checks for $12,000.00 in INCOME from CPA, CPM, and CPC campaigns during the last financial year. That's your gross and NOT your net. It's never your NET as all business have expenses.

I spent a total of $7,000.00 for the period 1/1/02 through 12/31/02 for EXPENSES like hosting, advertising, custom coding work, rent, salaries, graphic artists fees.

My "...pre-tax net profit for calendar year 2002" is NOT $12,000.00. My pre-tax net is:

$12,000.00 minus $7,000.00 = $5,000.00

3) Comments often heard: Dude1: "Dude! I'm making 3k per month.

Dude2: Are you positive of this? Is that number gross or net? Is that number after you pay your taxes? Is that number your pre tax net?

Dude1: <gulp>

Please post in this thread if you require any clarification. Good luck and thank you for assisting to generate an accurate presentation of our membership's progress from year to year.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV

Last edited by Czar; 10-22-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
coolbuddy

Default too late

dude,Its nice idea but pretty late.
Now everybody is thinking of 2004-2005 fiscal numbers.
Who wants to remember the year when profitibility was rare in dotcom industry?
Anyway I hope ,next year, u wont be that late .
How about starting with half yearly numbers??????

Last edited by coolbuddy; 10-21-2004 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
Blubster

I guess the curve might be shaped in big part by the taxes, even if we talk about pre-tax net profit.

When somebody gets big profits one year, the next year (s)he'll spend a lot more money just to avoid the big taxes that profits pushed.

In Spain limited companies have a 35% tax on profits... I wonder what is it like in the States.

Last edited by Blubster; 10-21-2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
gtmash

Talking

Darn! I just voted 4 digits instead of 5 digits. Thought it was monthly. Oh well...

Anyway, my costs are negligible and taxes are non-existent here
Old 10-21-2004, 09:56 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Default Re: too late

Quote:
Originally posted by coolbuddy
dude,Its nice idea but pretty late.
Now everybody is thinking of 2004-2005 fiscal numbers.
There's not a company on planet Earth who will be able to verify their 2004-2005 numbers for months, whereas we're right in the middle of reporting season for 2003-2004 fiscal in most major markets right now.

In fact, unless I'm mistaken, the US fiscal year ends September 30, which means that this post is being made a mere 22 days after the close of 2003-2004 fiscal. No meaningful numbers are likely to emerge before then so unless you're interested in working from projections, I don't know how this thread could be construed as late.

Admittedly, those based in Canada, India or Japan, for example, may have long closed the books on 2003-2004, but they're still nowhere near finalising next year results given that my calendar still says we're in 2004.

Am I missing something? Is it too confusing working from fiscal years rather than calendar?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV

Last edited by Czar; 10-21-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
coolbuddy

Default too late

the best option would be either calender or go for every quarter.
Infact quarter reporting will be the best.
Thats more like getting ready for nasdaq listing.
hahahahha
atleast i hope to get listed one day.
But jokes apart geekvillage has the capabilty to be there one day.
Have I taken the thread too far off.But arnt dotcommeres supposed to be wierd and daydreamers??????????????
Old 10-21-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Here in the URL, tax wise our year is from January 1st to December 31st, in the eyes of the IRS, so many of us won't know how this year will be like until about the end of the holiday season.

2003 was $17,828.00, and this year'll be way higher than that.

:::US fiscal year ends September 30

I think that's about when the US Government ends there fiscal year and starts war over the next years budget. Almost all business in the US go with Jan 1st to December 31st when it comes to keeping track of there earnings.

Last edited by Nintendo; 10-21-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:24 PM   #8
bhanna

Default There is no "standard" fiscal year in the U.S.

There is no such thing as a "standard" fiscal year in the US. Companies can declare their fiscal year as starting with any month they choose, so long as they then continue to follow that same pattern consistently. Our company happens to use the calendar year (January thru December) as our fiscal year.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
Czar

Webmaster

Welcome back Bob. Great to see you here.

Thanks for the clarification. The following guideline adjusts the criteria accordingly:
- For the purposes of this poll, we'll keep the base criterion as the 2003-2004 fiscal year where possible. Companies that use the calendar year as their reporting period should use figures from their last complete annual P&L (Jan 2003-December 2003) instead.
- For clarity, the poll above reflects gross operating profits generated by our members during their last complete annual reporting period.

I shall edit the opening post to reflect this.

Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #10
fantasia

wow quite a few members making 6 digits.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:15 PM   #11
Martin64

Interesting, but not shocking, results.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:23 PM   #12
Czar

Webmaster

Definitely interesting.

While the sample size at present is insufficient for any meaningful analysis, it is already producing some interesting results when compared to years prior. It seems that fewer members are in the red and that many of those who are generating profits have extended their earnings quite substantially given the relatively short time span that separates these three polls.

The participation rate is also looking good and may itself indicate greater confidence in the market.

Let's see how things evolve...

Old 10-22-2004, 07:06 AM   #13
bhanna

Quote:
Originally posted by Czar
Welcome back Bob. Great to see you here.
Thanks Czar...never left. Just lurking mostly. Congrats on the new business venture, too.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #14
MarkJH

I guess you should also clarify that the poll is referring to a common currency - US dollars? Otherwise, it would be meaningless. I'm a multi-millionaire in Turkey!
Old 10-22-2004, 11:41 AM   #15
Martin64

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkJH
I guess you should also clarify that the poll is referring to a common currency - US dollars? Otherwise, it would be meaningless. I'm a multi-millionaire in Turkey!
Does it really have to be clarified? I'm sure you, me and even Mr. T knows we're talking in US dollars.

btw, good for you that you're a mulit-millionaire.