Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2001, 11:49 AM   #1
Mbarb

Default Fast Click Pop Behind

Urg.. how can we expect to make any money when even the ad companys are running ads to help people do away with pop behinds...

New Fastclick popbehind campaign, I'm sure not running this one...

http://200.30.53.111/PopStop/PopStop.htm

Now to send mail to fastclick...
Mbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 12:05 PM   #2
Lil_Red

That's a little silly to run a pop on how to stop pops. I would advise deselecting that one from rotation.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 12:47 PM   #3
darnell

And FastClicks pop-unders are doing well it seems. Plenty of other advertisers. No reason to accept ads from just anyone. It does not appear to be a wise business move at all .
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:03 PM   #4
LetsGoPens.com

Thanks for the heads-up, Mbarb. I've dropped that campaign.

RJ
http://LetsGoPens.com/
LetsGoPens.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:25 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

I'm bamboozled by this decision by FastClick - assuming that they did actually review this creative prior to going live.

I'd like to think that FC have been 'hijacked' by being shown one page before a switch by the advertiser, as without that being the case, they may as well be running a banner campaign featuring the text "Whatever you do, don't advertise with FastClick. Our ads irritate consumers and will do more to hurt your brand than elevate it" (of course, they'd need a pretty looong banner to carry this .

Anyway, I guess their official reaction to the email complaints that this will likely attract is going to tell the real story.

BTW, welcome back to Geek/Talk, LetsGoPens. Great to see you here.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 02:20 PM   #6
LetsGoPens.com

Czar, thanks for the welcome back! I haven't had much to say since I've been busy (hockey season is back in swing) and I wasn't making much money either. FastClick popunders seem to be doing really well for me. I just joined them a few days ago and have been very pleasantly surprised so far.
LetsGoPens.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 05:36 PM   #7
Jan

Administrator

I would be inclined to say that fastclick are aware of it now at least. (Probably from all the irate emails )

I just logged in to uncheck it and it was already unchecked.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 09:39 PM   #8
PWR_Paul_Banker

I have the auto select feature on, and this campaign wasn't automatically selected. Looks like FC is giving us discretion (as they should) w/ this rather hypocritical pop-behind .
PWR_Paul_Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:28 AM   #9
darnell

Yea it was not selected for me either.

But the same company is advertising a product named SpeedBOOST via FastClick pop-unders as well. This ad is auto-selected. I'm just hoping the company does not try to cross-market PopSTOP to customers that get SpeedBOOST.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:37 PM   #10
Lawrence1

The following message is from a Fastclick representative who wished that the message be posted in response to webmaster inquiries:

Quote:
Fastclick decided to run the PopSTOP campaign because their product is: a)
not illegal, and b) we cannot be discriminatory. We believe that our
job is to provide an advertising channel for clients and provide revenue
opportunities that Publishers can take advantage of. To facilitate
Publisher control of this campaign in particular, we took the precaution of
setting up the campaign to be 100% opt-in, meaning that each and every
Publisher must specifically choose to run the campaign (even if their
"auto-select" feature is turned on). In no way did we mean to alienate the
goodwill of our publisher partners.

Thank you for your continued support,
Alexis Brown
Lawrence

Last edited by Lawrence1; 12-10-2001 at 09:39 PM.
Lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:04 AM   #11
Czar

Webmaster

Well, there's the evidence that we're smack-bang in the middle of a buyer's market. Next thing, we'll see fur coat distributors booking spots on PETA's site, and PETA electing to run them because, well, fur products aren't illegal.

FastClick's a middle-man media buying/ad representation firm (with a little technology ASPing thrown in for good measure). It's their job to discriminate - in the name of protecting both their advertisers and publishers. Running an anti-pop pop hurts both sides of the equation (not to mention FastClick themselves), while serving to benefit PopSTOP alone.

I know, I'm being somewhat snide, and the network-wide opt-in procedure effectively does away with publisher concerns regarding the campaign in question, but FastClick's resistance to restricting campaigns and/or creatives that undermine the credibility of its own product will likely be widely interpreted as an act of short-term desperation - despite the company's apparent strength in the market following the demise of several direct competitors.

BTW, it would be nice to see Alexis contribute here personally. I've been following her discussions on the O-A email list, and have eagerly awaited her bringing the same wisdom, feedback and insider FC info to Geek/Talk - particularly given that this forum's members have long been some of the network's most ardent supporters. (hint, hint...register)

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 12-11-2001, 01:17 PM   #12
darnell

You make some good points Czar.

I'm sure ABC would love to advertise Monday Night Football during Fox Sunday games, but I don't think it's ever going to happen . And I'm sure Fox would love to advertise their Sunday games DURING CBS's Sunday game broadcast, but it ain't gonna happen...

This is like CBS being presented with advertisers from an ad firm and INCLUDING THE FOX ADS IN THE PORTFOLIO!!! The ad company would be thrown out on their BUTT. It's just not good business to present things to business associates that conflict with their interest...
Old 12-17-2001, 08:46 PM   #13
Fastclick.com

Default Pop-Stopper

Okay, okay. I'm finally up to date and in this forum! Sorry for the delay.

We always review every creative before it goes live, and the popStop campaign was one that was definitely debated. We decided that by allowing all publishers to choose to opt-in to the campaign, we would offer you the control.

A number of people here felt that the campaign would act in the same way as our opt-out policy. Currently, users can opt-out of Fastclick pop-unders by going to a link on the homepage. This removes individual users who would "waste" an impression--that is, they wouldn't respond to it if it popped, rather they would probably close it in disgust and send us an email.

By removing this section of the online population, the advertiser is happy because their ad is now being seen by individuals who might respond to the campaign.

Additionally, more inventory for our publishers (almost rate card, nonetheless).

That's the logic. Now what do you think?
Fastclick.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 09:01 PM   #14
Czar

Webmaster

Well, I think you're aware of my thoughts on this issue, but I just have to extend a warm welcome to you on behalf of all those Geek/Talkers who have been devoted FastClick publishers for many a month (myself included).

Alexis? Jeff?

Old 12-18-2001, 12:00 AM   #15
firstmark

Fastclick and another thing. Why is the Netflip skyscraper, the only campaign that is CPM running as a secondary campaign? Thats the highest effective CPM campaign you have running for this creative size so why push it to the secondary campaign area?
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote