Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2000, 10:48 AM   #1
CyberMan
Member.

Question Proxy server blocking question

Disclaimer: This question has got nothing to do with defeating the purpose of corporate servers' proxy blocking.

One of my sites is a popular celebrities site that gets upto 15,000 unique visitors per day. This is a very clean site with absolutely no nude and adult stuff. But the domain has been blocked by many corporate proxy servers for adult content.

I am sure I am losing on lot of visitors because of this. My question is how do proxy servers decide a particular site has adult content?. Is there any directory or something that proxy servers look at to block sites. I would like to know if there is a way I can unblock my site from any such listing. It's simply not fair blocking this site because it's a straight celebrities site. FYI, I do not have any keywords or meta tags on my index page that can suggest it's an adult site.

------------------
CyberMan
cyber_man2000@email.com
CyberMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 01:22 AM   #2
gallery

Unhappy

Cyberman,

Tons of sites are blocked by corporate proxy servers. Not only adult but entertainment, music .... Anything that does not relate to your work.

This is of course to avoid employees surfing on sites not related to their work.

Here (where I work) they have bought a "banned sites" file at a company and they uploaded it on the proxy.
The funny thing is that the domain names are blocked but not the IP addresses in my case.

------------------
www.pics4fun.com : a huge collection of funny pictures, cartoons and comics.
www.cartoons4fun.com : funny cartoons based on humor puns.
www.humorandfun.com : increase traffic to your humor site.
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 07:14 AM   #3
CyberMan
Member.

Unhappy

gallery, I am concerned because the proxy server throws an error saying 'Smart filter denied access because of sexual content' where as the site is clean http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif.

Do you know any place where I can find this banned sites list online. If you can not post here can you please send an email?.

Thanks.

------------------
CyberMan
cyber_man2000@email.com
CyberMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2000, 01:28 AM   #4
gallery

Unhappy

Sorry, I searched but I haven't been able to find what you wanted.
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote