Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2001, 02:39 PM   #1
Bingo

Default Valueclick - serving only non pay Valueclick ads

Is anyone else with valueclick and have suddenly found their clickthrough rate down through the floor? We average anything from 100,000 to 150,000 ad impressions a day with an average of 0.40-050 percent clickthroughs.

I'm in the UK and my sites demograpgics is divided roughly 30 percent UK visitors, 50 percent Canada/Usa, 20 percent rest of world.

Today, VC have been serving only non paying Valueclick banners. In the last couple of hours Uk visitors are seeing some normal ads but I've asked users elsewhere to mail me with what ads they are seeing and all are seeing only Valueclick ads. A high percentage of out clickthroughs come from the Candian/USA fan base it would seem. Can VC really have 'no' ads to serve?

The site depends really heavily on the CT revenue for it's survival as it's highly graphics intensive and our bandwidth usage is immense (9GB a day approx).

I'd be grateful for anyone's views and experiences. We've never had any real problems with VC at all but if something has changed I will meed to make some big decisions and quick as it's a pretty hand to mouth operation.

Other question is, given our ad impression rate, if we end up having to leave VC what other CT advertisers would other users reccomend who would pay around the same rate as VC. We get approx 14cents US perclick.

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions offered.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 04:20 PM   #2
Furton

I've been hearing a lot about Value Click serving defaults lately, something we should keep an eye out for.

To recommend another ad network, we need to see your site (URL) also, I would recommend going for a CPM program with that amount of visitors.
Furton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 07:44 PM   #3
zeng31

Not happy with ValueClick

In the member section, they seem to have a some advertisers, but paid banners aren't displaying

I have served tons of defaults lately and made little with them, I think I will stop running them until things get better....
zeng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 01:21 AM   #4
Bingo

site URL is

www.csvu.dial.pipex.com/gbook.shtml

site is actually csvu.net but the above is the most popular area opf the site.

I asked overseas visitors to let me know what ads they were seeing and in only an hour I had over a hundred emails all saying they were getting the Valueclick ad only. UK users are getting ads ok.

The members ad list shows plenty of advertisers listed.

I'll be mailing support this morning and will post later with any news I get.

As I've said previously, I've had nothing but good experiences with VC but with the click rate down by over 90 percent over the last 36 hours some quick decisions will need to made at our end if they cannot serve the bulk of our users with pay ads.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:46 AM   #5
freakysid

Well I'm in Australia - I refreshed 3 times (don't know if I was cookied) - default all three times.

BTW - are there any good lookers on that TV show - all the photos on your site are of old duffers?
freakysid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 03:54 AM   #6
Jan

Administrator

There is a recent thread about this.

Might help to read some comments here, especially regarding default ads

http://66.33.83.213/forums/showthrea...threadid=12634
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 04:14 AM   #7
denasio

Yep, I refreshed a couple of times and got the default VC ad every time. By the way, I'm from the Netherlands.
denasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 05:32 AM   #8
zeng31

It seems that everyone with Valueclick is not doing so well or getting xtremely high defaults, in that case it is affecting the whole network. It would be interesting to see how Valueclick perform over-time before webmaster find another income source...
zeng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 06:09 AM   #9
a1022

Thumbs down

ValueClick will tell you that they are starting to geotarget your ads. This is hard to believe. They give preferences to each site. Different sites gets different inventory.

Also I think it depends on where you live, not where the surfer lives. They have different regional offices handling your account. I was once getting 0.5 - 1 % CTR when my account was over at the US side but since they have switched me to the Canadian side, I am getting a pathetic 0.09 - 0.15% CTR's. I told them that my majority of my traffic is US based and they said that they will change it. Whatever they did, it did not make a difference.

Could someone from ValueClick please respond? Could one of the mods or Steve invite a rep here to discuss this issue as it seems to be quite a big problem with its members.
a1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 06:27 AM   #10
Bingo

I would sincerely hope that this Geo-targetting isn't true. It really makes the whole idea of the internet as a global thing laughable.

We were transferred from the American organisation to the Uk one a few months ago but everything ran exactly as normal until now.

It would basically not allow anyone in one country to run a site which would predominantly serve another. We served over 133,000 ads yesterday and according to my visitors stats over 78 percent of those visitors would have been served default VC ads.

I've had nothing but good experiences with VC since joining them but if what the above poster has said is true it doesn't bode well for anyone like us who runs a site that people access from all four corners of the globe.

I'm still hoping, maybe againts hope, that it's just a temporary problem but Uk support, who are normally excellent at dealing with emails, haven't replied to me as yet.

With 2.5 - 5 million ad impressions a month, hopefully if push comes top shove, we won;y have too much trouble going elsewhere but I'd be incredibly sorry to leave VC. They've been superb in the past.