Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2001, 09:36 AM   #1
a1022

Unhappy Hosting Cost = Ad Revenue

My hosting cost and bandwidth is getting closer and closer to my ad revenue. Just out of curiosity, has anyone noticed that hosting companies refuse to lower their prices respective to the advertising climate we are in? It seems as though I am working 12 hours a day for less than minimum wage.
a1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:55 AM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

me again

how's the rackshack.net affiliate program performing for you? maybe try placing it more visible on your site ?

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 02:19 PM   #3
LordBiO

If you can get your hosting company to lower your cost, that would be pretty amazing....I don't think my hosting company (Interland) would do that for me no matter what...I have told them in the past, that they may even lose me as a customor as much as I love them, they are expensive.

I spend about $1300/month on 3 dedicated servers...I can get the same servers at rackshack.net for like $450 a month with an 900GB/month of transfer, total and right now I only have 775GB/month.
LordBiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:22 PM   #4
a1022

Unhappy

That's not as bad of a deal as mine. I pay about a grand for one machine with less bandwidth. The reason is because they are charging me $4 per additional gig over my plan.

What kind of hardware are you getting for your $$$ at Interland?
Old 10-24-2001, 06:31 PM   #5
LordBiO

We have a 2 Cobalt RAQ4r and and a Cobalt RAQ2 (co-located). It's a pretty good deal though, I think Rackshack.net is a much better offer....I have talked to their sales once, and they were extremely helpful.

Only reason why I am not moving is that it would be pretty hard to move over 350 web sites and get everyone set up again.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:43 PM   #6
Taz

Default <|+

you have a degated server?
what is hard you mail or UPS over the server and set it up with those Ips and wait for the new ips to propiagte on the domain name...

simple a few days down.... could even
leave a older small server on old ip ( host) start new plan before old ends run site on old IP then move new servers to new host.. then doamin to new IP then old ip is up and working untill the old ip is off the domain poof..

only problem is *if* your content changes daily you might have a harder problem but that can be fixed by adding later.. or "sharing the data" thus when updated it sends to bother servers ( mentioning as in that on one dedicated sends to other Ip for the MYSQL data base like example if this forum was on two websites and they both could feed into one"

I mean it is a little harder than what i am saying but with a dedicated server hosting is easier no need to uplaod anything ( 302) sites just ship the server over and a little down time ( i recommend warning users of this in advance and not during peak usage months )
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 06:49 PM   #7
Taz

Default <|+

by the OFF chance that you don't actualy own your server ( which i doubt) but for others that don't own it offer to Buy your Hard drive and then ship to the new host. they then get money for the old HD you had and can upgrade the machine with a newer model ( more memory) for what you paid for the old.

or you could set up a cron job to upload folders on off hours like hmm maybe 2.00 am or so this is a harder method though
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 08:09 PM   #8
LordBiO

Well we only own one of the server, the other two are leased from the hosting company...but we can't afford to be even down for a few days especially right now. But I don't think Interland will just give me the hard-drives or even the server unless I bought the full servers from them but I can't afford to do that.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:46 PM   #9
Ted S

Obviously a move would not be fun at all but if the avings are that great, it may be worth the effort. Chances are you would have to shut off ftp access one night, move all the files quickly then email users their new ftp url and do a very, very large apache or ip based fowarding scheme to force propegation. This might be out of the quesiton but it could work.

As for the orginal quesiton... some hsots are certainly over priced in general and some are coming down a bit but for the most pat, hosting costs haven't changed which makes lowering prices hard to do. Some hosts are beggining to offer real bandwidth prices (like a dollar and a half a gig or less) which is nice but past that the profit margin is thin enough (at least initially).
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 11:06 PM   #10
a1022

Besides RackShack, what other hosting companies are giving us geeks the best bang for our buck?

I would love to use RackShack but they haven't added more powerful servers yet. I heard it's coming though.. If it was here, I'd get one right away.

Last edited by a1022; 10-24-2001 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:07 PM   #11
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by a1022
Besides RackShack, what other hosting companies are giving us geeks the best bang for their buck?

I would love to use RackShack but they haven't added more powerful servers yet. I heard it's coming though.. If it was here, I'd get one right away.
actually i was meaning their affiliate program i've made 17 sales so far at US$50 each over the last 3 months ! although i haven't been paid yet since it's net 45 days

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote