Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2000, 03:31 PM   #1
sterlingbeck

Lightbulb Why are we ignoring the Asian Market?

I've been reading large amounts of material and listening to long lectures on why Biz to Biz is the next big cash opportunity on the web. Today, it occurred to me that nearly half of this planet's population is asian, and that sites like click2asia.com and asianavenue are growing at a remarkable rate. I'm not asian, but I think that we as webmasters should recognize the Asian market as a large one. Just my thoughts on the rtopic, as a sidenote, I'm gonna be buying a few asian domains tonight, and have my web design staff throw some "asian" pages on them and test my theory. If I can get a 1000 members, I'll view the test as a successful one.
Sterling Beck
23d Networks
sterlingbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 05:11 PM   #2
Doug

Cool

Totally agree..but good luck with the asian (Chinese/Japanese) search engines!
Let us know if you get in!

------------------
Doug
http://www.MysterySea.com
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 05:45 PM   #3
Drastic

Question

I have also been thinking about this. I have read a report or two showing the web (as far as users) is starting to grow at a faster rate outside of the US/Canada/UK, and will continue to grow faster for some time. What I wonder is, what about language? Will we need to translate our sites to other languages, or do most of these new audiences accept English? If so, are they comfortable with it? I have heard English is sometimes considered the International language of business, but what about your average International surfer?

------------------
FreeAndHot.com - The Select Guide to Free Stuff Online
Drastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 07:03 PM   #4
zMan

Unhappy

Hey,

I am Asian and not only webmasters are ignoring the Asian market, so are Ad Agencies. As you must have seen, a lot of Ad Networks are throwing out websites with Asian content on them. I am not sure why, but that's the truth. I guess Ad Agencies just don't want any "Asian" visitors seeing their Advertisers ads.

You don't need to translate your website into the Asian languages, such as Chinese or Hindi. Just make everything clear and you should be Okay. Almost all Asians understand English, but some people who live in Asia may have problems understanding it.

A lot of big websites are by Asians... Even HotMail.com was started by some Asian and then bought by Microsoft or someone later on. So were a lot of big other websites.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Take care!
zMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 08:14 PM   #5
fairhousing
Member.

Lightbulb

there's more asians, but they've got less money and technology, except for the japanese and a few others.

therefore, size (population) doesn't matter, hehe. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Click 4 some tested resources for making money $, hosting, and web promotion.
My Site Got Hacked, But I'm Coming Back?

[This message has been edited by Steve_S (edited 06-13-2000).]
fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 08:20 PM   #6
notibrian

Unhappy

i agree with zman about the ad agencies, some ad companies don't even accept webmasters from asian countries even though the site is a .com http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

yeah, asian sites and surfers are growing very fast and will become the majority of the surfers in another 2 or 3 years. so making asian as a protion of your target visitors is a great idea ... just my thought http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
notibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 08:41 PM   #7
taehwan

Talking

hehehe. lucky me, i recently scored a good deal with an asian-targetted adnetwork http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

to everyone who's trying to start asian-oriented websites, well.. no offense, but i would think that it would be kinda hard unless you're asian yourself ^_^
taehwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 09:20 PM   #8
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

hehe, i was reading up on the financial effects of China's acceptance into the WTO http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Asian market is going to boom these next 5 - 10 yrs and it's either ride the wave or miss out...

i don't purposely target the asia visitors but i do get quite a few from japan, malaysia, singapore, taiwan and alot from mexico, peru, france and of course the US...

for me i can speak Catonese but don't ask me to read or write http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Evangelion in the 21st century
Eva2000.com
Australian Star Wars Prequels
ThePrequels.net
Anime2001 Network
Anime2001.com
Coming soon...
TheDesktopThemes.com Wallpapers
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2000, 06:07 AM   #9
CYBERWORLD

Unhappy

Making a site for Asian is not a very good way to make advertisement money... except you have a really big site... i think
CYBERWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2000, 06:51 AM   #10
goose

Cool

Well as you all know ive made several posts on this site about the asian internet market. I live in Australia but I also have a business in the Philippines and have been shuttling back and forth between the two for around twenty years. First of all the biggest internet company in the world is Chinese. Richard Li,s Pacific Century Cyberworks with a market value of around $us 180 Billion. It is also the fastest growing market in the world. Asia with the big five makes around over 60% of the worlds population. China also has the biggest cash reserves of any country in the world. The fact that Japan has dropped US like a ton of bricks to jump into bed with China, Korea and Asian to form Asian plus three is a good indication of where the real future lies. Im a liittle surprised by the coment that asians have no money, on the contrary in my opinion the opposite. Gee I remember when I first went to manila around 20 years ago, there were homless people everywhere , something you never saw in Australia. Now you never see homeless people in Manila but Australia now has people sleeping all over the streets.In fact the poverty I see here in my own country is some of the worst in the world. In fact tonight in just a short three block walk in the Brisbane mall I counted 32 homeless people. I have not seen a homeless person in Manila in five years. Wow, how things change. There is a lot of misconception in Western countries about Asia. Fact is there economies left us behind years ago. Take a quick look at the hotels in Manila. Asians stay in the 5 star hotels while westerners are struggling to afford a dump. Is the future in Asia, in my opinion Asia will completly dominate the entire world economy in Twenty years. Just my opinion from doing business in the place for around twenty years.

------------------
Without the Rabbitohs - there will be no game.
goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2000, 08:58 AM   #11
notibrian

Unhappy

as the economic condition is recovering(economic crisis in 1997) in most of the asia countries, and government is promoting internet(e.g. malaysia & singapore) rapidly, no doubt that the internet industry will be growing very fast in the next 2 - 3 years. by then, the economic will be fully recover and people will have more money to spend and the asian online purchasing power will grow and maybe ad company will have ads specially for those asian site http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif ... so creating an asian targeted site is kind of long term investment.

however, the computer literacy in asian countries is lower than the western countries and the online security will be the threat to the growth of the internet industry ... just my opinion http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

notibrian is offline   Reply With Quote