Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2000, 02:33 PM   #1
Lavee

Unhappy How to promote a new site

Hi all,

I have recently started a new website www.TheTopList.com . Could you review the site.
This is basically a top sites ranking script with multiple categories. I know few links are broke. I want a overall review in this.

Also, How do I get traffic to this site. I have set up links at clickxchange to get some traffic. What else I could do?

Thanks

Lavee
Lavee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 03:16 PM   #2
mtgm

Exclamation

Things to consider changing:

1. I would definately consider adding a logo of some sort, "THETOPREVIEWS.COM" in standard text just doesn't seem very eye-catching.

2. Consider changing the background color, personally I find gray as a background to be boring and uninviting.

3. The font Times New Roman found on your index page should be changed to either Verdana, or Arial.

4. After clicking on one of your categories, have the table located flush top by inserting <body topmargin=0> into your body tag.

5. Finally I would consider adding more content to your index page. Perhaps you could add the Join, FAQ, Login, Rules, and Contact Us features on your main page as well.

I apologize if I have been a little harsh, but I am just trying to help you make it better.

------------------
Get Paid to Surf !
Reviews of the top pay-to-surf programs.
mtgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 09:11 PM   #3
Vancouver_BC
Member.

Unhappy

Got to say I like the domain name! But besides the name, unfortuneately, there is not much else I like about your site http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif There is no reason why I would come to your site if I was browsing the web. All you have is a bunch of banners! You should consider having a little right up under each banner describing the page that I am going to be going to-the old saying "a picture (or in this case a banner) is worth a thousand words
" is not always true when it comes to the web.
Having a webpage is not an instant portal to richness. People need a reason to come to your site and to stay at your site. With a little effort a webpage may be a portal to success but with no effort it is a portal to nothing.
Just some of my blah-blah-blah.
Vancouver_BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 10:03 PM   #4
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

hmmm, the colours definitely need changing... as already it doesn't look inviting at all...

may the table should be '0' bordered and have the table 1 or 2 pixel cell spacing with a background colour as the table divider and the cell colour for the actual table ?

Only a few days ago i created a top site page for my eva2000.com site
http://www.topsitelists.com/start/ev.../topsites.html

if you want to see a successful top site in action check out
http://anime100.com with nearly 900 active sites on the list http://geekvillage.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
Evangelion in the 21st century
Eva2000.com
Australian Star Wars Prequels
ThePrequels.net
Anime2001 Network
Anime2001.com
Coming soon
TheDesktopThemes.com
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2000, 07:47 AM   #5
Lavee

Unhappy

Hi all,

Thanks to all your comments. I will be working this week end to fix these issues. I will let you know and again would like to further review my site.

As of now I have designed a small logo.You can look at the logo at the TopLeft hand corner at www.TheTopList.com/freestuff

Right now I am promoting only this part of my site.

There is only one problem here at this URL. If some one does not include a banner in the top site listing, it is defaulting to the page back ground color instead of table back ground color. How to fix this.

mtgm,
Actually I use a true color. I think your system is not configured for true color, hence you are seeing the grey / white color. I figured out that this is not browser safe color. Could you recommend a nice pleasing color to go with this site.

Vancouver,
You see a bunch of banners because at this point except my free stuff top site there is no participation by any site. Hence the content is empty.
After having success in my free stuff site www.Lavee.com , I think I branched out and working on two sites at the same time. I actually started to develop a humor site www.APlusJokes.com That is also half finished. Suddenly my interests changed and I am doing this TheTopList.com You see too many at the same time in the developing stage will spoil everything.

Thanks

Lavee

------------------
Free Stuff Directory
www.Lavee.com
Are You In TheTopList.Com
Webmasters - Add your site to thetoplist and get moretraffic
Old 04-28-2000, 12:20 PM   #6
KHN
Member.

Unhappy

Since there are so many top sites these days, you're not going to survive if you don't have a good design. It will also be very hard to recruit members if they feel it's worthless to join.

If you're going to make a top site with varies category. Then try to make it like www.top20free.com not just a link page with some ugly click here graphics.

------------------
KHN
www.thefreeguide.com - Free Stuff and Webmaster Resources!!
www.totalclipart.com - Your #1 Source to Free Clip Art Sites!!
KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2000, 09:03 AM   #7
m3rcury

Smile

In my experience click exchanges and banner exchanges are not worth the effort. Most of the hits i get for my sites come from top 50's and search engines.... but you're kinda sunk becuz your site IS a top 50 or whatever. I'd try the search engines. Submit it to DMOZ.org and if you have good keywords and everything you will get hits from several various search engines like aolsearch netscapesearch altavista, etc.
Hope that helps.
--shane www.fantasticards.com
m3rcury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2000, 01:26 PM   #8
Lavee

Unhappy

Hi all,

Let me also tell you, that I am only promoting my Free Stuff category as of now.
Khn,

Just not to leave my front page empty, I just added a simple page, I could create in few minutes. Hence you are seeing the ugly clickhere graphics.

All,

Could you look at my free stuff page and let me know what needs to be changed there. Preferably some comments about color scheme, layout ....You can see the page at TheTopList.com/freestuff

Thanks

Lavee

------------------
Free Stuff Directory
www.Lavee.com
Are You In TheTopList.Com
Webmasters - Add your site to thetoplist and get moretraffic
Old 05-02-2000, 01:50 PM   #9
funpage

Unhappy

With top site lists, I believe all you need is 3 or 4 fairly big sites to join and others will follow.

I noticed that you have two clearbluemedia banners on the same page, is that allowed?

------------------
Top 50 Cool Sites - is your site cool enough?
Webmaster Resource Center - All, no a few resources for your webmatering needs.
funpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2000, 02:24 PM   #10
Joe

Unhappy

I'd start by submitting your actual top site list to other top sites.. I did this with a greeting card top site once and it worked great.

- Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote