Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default 100 million Web sites

At times I will see something that I think is really interesting. I'll tell myself that I think others would also find it interesting. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

I thought I would give this a try. I feel it is very interesting. I am not sure how many are going to agree with me.

There are now over 100 million Web sites and it is still difficult to agree on if it should be one word or two words. This represents 100 million Web sites with domain names and content on them.

Even with all of those sites around, many Geek/Talk members are having very good success with their sites. New sites are being added at a fantastic rate but it is still to have a successful new site.

Around 27 million of these 100 million sites were added this year. That is how fast the growth is now.

Back in 1995 there were 18,000 sites. I had 3 Web sites in 1995. I don't believe that at the time I was aware as to how many Web sites there were. But I do remember thinking during that period that there were a lot of them. Right then it did seem like a lot.

I've provided links to a couple of good articles about the 100 million Web sites and why there are so many of them. The first article also has a video story with it.

Possibly a few of you will think this is as interesting as I do. Here are the two links:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/interne...tes/index.html

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatc...es/008675.html
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
gophergas

An interesting side note to this is that many (perhaps most) of us have websites that are in the top 0.1% of all websites in terms of traffic. If we happen to rank in Alexa's top 100,000 sites, that puts us squarely in that range.
gophergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
LLWEB

Oh to have had sites back in 95. Man if I had started that early I'd be a friggin' millionaire by now

Interesting piece

Last edited by LLWEB; 11-09-2006 at 06:20 AM.
LLWEB is offline   Reply With Quote