Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2002, 04:00 AM   #1
Wrangler

Default Web Design Leads?

I ahve a quick questions for web designers/developers. Would you pay for quality leads from people looking for web designers? I know buyerzone.com has web design leads but they run $7.50 each and all you get to do is submit your purposal. If you would purchase leads, what would be a fair price to you?
Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 04:09 PM   #2
TDNetworks

Well I would pay a fairly good price for this if the leads are complete sales. I own a webpage design business and have staff members that earn 25% of each sale they make. But it all depends on the type of lead you get. If you can get a lead that will pay $500 for a design I would pay about $100 for the lead which I think is very good.
TDNetworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 07:49 AM   #3
besimple

I would agree with TDN, I send out quotes of over $160,000 every month but rarely do any of those quotes turn into sales.

So I'd pay for confirmed customers only but i'd pay good & it would only depend on the actual project itself.

Another thing I find is that I get 80% of my website customers from offline sources. Past customers, friends and families etc.....biz cards work the best. They cost about 50 cents each and almost each one gets you some sorta lead.

Besimple
besimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:19 PM   #4
TDNetworks

Yeah, the only way that you are going to get webmasters on is if you offer something unique and will benefit them. If not, it will be a waste of time and you wont have anyone paying for leads since they can go on elance and do the same thing with more possible customers.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:55 PM   #5
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Nice signiture besimple, but what part of 'WARNING: Maximum permissable length of your Signature is 4 lines, when viewed at a screen resolution of 800 x 600. Please consult our Rules for additional requirements.' don't you understand?
Old 10-07-2002, 08:07 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by TDNetworks
Yeah, the only way that you are going to get webmasters on is if you offer something unique and will benefit them. If not, it will be a waste of time and you wont have anyone paying for leads since they can go on elance and do the same thing with more possible customers.
Ok, let me argue a few points

Elance cost $70 a month (for basic) and you have to compete with designers from Asia and Europe who can under bid an American provider very easly. For example I can get a site design for $50-$100 depending on the experience of the provider however the only American designers that go that low are the ones just starting out.

Elance gets about 1000-1200 projects a week, for the entire site, I woul guess about 800 of those are for web development, so for an entire a month there are aprox. 3200 projects which is a lot of projects the only problem is there are well over 2000 providers in web development alone and many projects get well over 100 bids so to be noticed you either have to be a featured provider which cost several hundred each month or you have to have the lowest price, unfortunatly if you are an American provider you lowest bid is far from being the lowest because of foreign providers.

I'm not saying my way would be the perfect solution, but wouldn't a designer have a better chance of getting a job by purchasing qualified leads for $2-$3 and competing againts 10 American designers? Or if I setup it up on a membership basis for a monthly fee ($20?)and by joining members would get access to all the leads, say 100 leads a month?
Old 10-07-2002, 08:17 PM   #7
TDNetworks

You have a good point. If you can produce 100 leads a month the $20 charge would be good, but for $2-$3 may work fine. The 100 leads for $20 is a good offer though, now the only thing is needed is to make sure someone can get 100 leads
Old 10-08-2002, 06:48 AM   #8
besimple

Nintendo........sorry mate, I'll trim it up right after this post

Umm.....me likes the $20 and would most certainly join if you can get the 100 leads that you suggested you could.

Besimple
Old 10-09-2002, 02:09 AM   #9
Wrangler

Thanks for the input guys. If you hear of somebody offering 100 leads for $20 you know who it is, of coarse you might also hear about the biggest business flop of the year
Old 04-24-2003, 10:33 AM   #10
besimple

So Wrangler,

Whats the latest???

Besimple
Old 04-25-2003, 02:34 PM   #11
firstmark

If you offer something free in exchange for the interested customer lead you might do better.
If say a webdesigner will give a free one page mockup of what they have in mind, or at least a nice one page summary of everything they would do for a given site or topic that would help conversions tremendously.
Most webdesigners want people to pay for their services solely on their portfolio of work or due to just willing to take a chance with you.

If you offer something free, a basic mockup, discount on domain hosting or anything it might be easier for affiliates to promote your program effectively. Otherwise one designer is almost the same as another as no immediate differences spring forth from their websites alone.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote