Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2003, 11:46 PM   #61
gtmash

You are getting targetted results through iframes? Hmmmm. I would've thought google's code wouldn't be able to read beyond the file where the ad code only is located. I'll have to keep watching my earnings. The ads are probably country-specific.

Oh, and I've set up the google skyscraper as a fastclick default, shown through iframes on my site (a long winding route). I'd appreciate it if someone in USA could tell me what ads they're seeing

Thanks

Last edited by gtmash; 06-23-2003 at 11:51 PM.
gtmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:55 PM   #62
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

I've had a bit of time to play around with the program and have a few thoughts:

First from the terms and conditions:

" Google may at any time, in its sole discretion, terminate the Program, terminate this Agreement, or terminate the participation of any Site in the Program for any reason. If Google notifies You of any such termination or cancellation, which shall be effective immediately, or a breach of this Agreement, You shall remove all Javascript or similar programming from Your Site(s) within one (1) hour of receipt of notice"

I think that pretty much speaks for itself.

Anyway, what I've really been thinking about is what type of quality these advertisments will bring. As an AdWords advertiser, the quality of content syndicated ads has been absolutely horrendous for me when they worked with the 20 million+ page sites. For one site I track, they are only bringing in 13 cents of revenue per click (off from an average of about 32 cents of revenue per click from Google's own pages). I can't help but think this new AdSense program will drive down this number further. Of course, the good thing is that Adwords advertisers can turn off content syndication if they so choose. However, this could present a problem for publishers who attempt to rely on this network as a primary source of income if many advertisers stop supporting content syndicated ads.

Anyway, it is a new program and we'll see how it turns out. So far, it is doing fairly well for the content site I implemented it on earlier tonight (around the 60 cent CPM range).
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:10 AM   #63
Guava

gtmash,
It is only showing PSA's (Peace Corps... etc.) and I'm the the USA. Might want to try using the code directly in your pages instead of through FastClick.
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:51 AM   #64
jgower1

Have any gaming websites implemented this? If so, what CPM rate are you getting?
jgower1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:02 AM   #65
Jack

Quote:
Have any gaming websites implemented this? If so, what CPM rate are you getting?
The site I mentioned above getting a $.60 CPM is a gaming site. However, as of this morning, the CPM rate is down to around $.50. I expect once the novelty wears off, this will end up around $.20-$.30 CPM. This is all off 468x60 banners by the way.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:11 AM   #66
gtmash

Quote:
Originally posted by Guava
gtmash,
It is only showing PSA's (Peace Corps... etc.) and I'm the the USA. Might want to try using the code directly in your pages instead of through FastClick.

Yeah, I think you're right. I hardcoded it onto some of the pages and now ads are showing up.
gtmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:11 AM   #67
jnestor

Just browsed the AdSense FAQ and realized I was blocking the AdSense spider with my robots.txt. Since I allow the Google spider on most page I figured I'd be fine but AdSense apparently uses its own. Hopefully allowing it will increase the relevancy of the ads and the effective CPM. Might be something that all of us in the program want to check out.

Ultimate I expect that Google will be forced to allow bidders to specify a different rate for syndicated clicks vs. search clicks. I have to imagine that the search click will always yield a better return for the advertiser and without a different rate for the syndicated clicks many will probably just opt out entirely.

Interestingly enought this program is essentially working the way I think all affiliate networks shoud work. Why can't CJ either spider the page or let me specify the content and come up with an ad that's targeted? The affiliate networks could/should even optimize it based on which specific programs actually work on the page. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the affiliate network that realizes this and can implement it in a halfway decent way will make a lot of money.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:58 PM   #68
emmzee

I've been using them on my dosgames.com site and on another site of mine potofgold.org. I'm running the 468x60 ads at the bottom of the dosgames.com pages and the middle of the potofgold.org page. I'm getting nearly $0.50CPM right now. Your milage may vary ... I can only hope that these rates keep up like this!
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:05 PM   #69
Nintendo

It looks like it's not real good on Message boards, when it comes to the ads being related to the site. I'm geting links about cookies, pop-ups, Ireland (because of the location box), and even stuff that kids should not see!!!!

It looks like I'll probably replace the Amazon.com text links with Google, at the very top of my content sites!! In the last 54 days those text links have made about $197.00. And just from my message board site, and two smaller video game sites it looks like those will make about $120.00 in two months. So with all the main sites having Google up it will be much higher per day/month.

Last edited by Nintendo; 06-24-2003 at 07:18 PM.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:26 AM   #70
Jan

Administrator

I have just bitten the bullet and applied. I am usually very cautious with new programs, but everyone seems to have positive results so far. Now to see if I am accepted
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:59 PM   #71
Nintendo

Question

Here's what Google says about Amazon.com ads on the same page as the AdSence ads.

Thank you for requesting a clarification. You may place our ad code on pages containing affiliate associate ads, such as with Amazon.com. We only ask that you do not run other text-based ads or content-targeted ads
on the same pages that you place the AdSense ad code.

They say you can have Amazon links on the same page, yet they say 'text-based ads or content-targeted ads' arn't allowed on the same page as AdSence, and I think that's exactly what Amazon text links are!!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:03 PM   #72
Jack

Quote:
They say you can have Amazon links on the same page, yet they say 'text-based ads or content-targeted ads' arn't allowed on the same page as AdSence, and I think that's exactly what Amazon text links are!!
I believe their restriction for other text based ads are those similar to their program. For example, a revenue sharing Pay per click type of ads.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:20 PM   #73
hammer

Amazon looks like a big buyer of Adsense keywords. For example, on one page, every ad in the sky is for the book by Hillary Rodham Clinton, "Living History" they bought every position...
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:52 PM   #74
Jack

Quote:
Amazon looks like a big buyer of Adsense keywords. For example, on one page, every ad in the sky is for the book by Hillary Rodham Clinton, "Living History" they bought every position...
Those are likely Amazon affiliates bidding on those terms. You can tell which are affiliate listings by looking to see if there is an 'Aff', 'Affiliate', 'Assoc', or something like that in the listing. Sometimes an affiliate listing does get by without that distinguishing text though.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:09 AM   #75
YongF

Angry I don't know why got rejected by AdSense

Actually, I want to ask a question here:

How do your guys get into AdSense?

After went through the post here, I took off from the site any adnetworks from USA, say TF, Fastclick, Maxonline, 24/7 and etc, and then applied, as I did see some of them running context campaigns from google.com

But i got rejected three times, with the same refusal email listed here by other members of the board.

During the awaiting period of approval, I just kept some campaigns from Response Republic running aross the site, which I am 100% sure they won't show any campaigns from Adwords or somthing.

I really don't know why? :-(
YongF is offline   Reply With Quote