Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2003, 09:47 PM   #46
PistolPete

Default Google as Default

Anyone tried the Google ads as a rich media default from another network?

Pete
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:31 PM   #47
epilogue

Yeah... doing it now as a burst richmedia default
epilogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:50 AM   #48
funtoon

Default Re: Google as Default

Quote:
Originally posted by PistolPete
Anyone tried the Google ads as a rich media default from another network?
I would love to ad Google ads as a default to Value Click anyone has any idea, if this could be done if so how!

BTW: A bit off topic but I thought I should share this, its been about 9 hrs since I have put the google codes on the site, and google bot has visited my site 12 times

Last edited by funtoon; 06-22-2003 at 12:51 AM.
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 01:46 AM   #49
joetec

Quote:
Wow! I went to sleep for a few hours, and madness ensued. Upon waking, I found that my effective CPM, which was nice but not overwhelming after a few hours of delivery this morning, had shot through the roof to 1999 levels.

Lets hope all of our effective cpms work out to 1999 levels.
joetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 02:24 AM   #50
Czar

Webmaster

Well, things have calmed down a bit since I made that comment, but the results I'm seeing are still impressive enough to tentatively grab some prime inventory away from the traditional networks.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:45 PM   #51
cheznoir
Member.

One site is doing very well, the ads are targetted and interesting. The other is a site with phpbb on it and they are doing horrid. It only seems to be able to parse forum related words.

I wish there was a way to block categories, not just urls. Going through and blocking hosting offers is getting tedious.

Chet
cheznoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 06:09 PM   #52
PistolPete

Richmedia defaulting to Google isn't working for me. I'm getting public service announcements. Just as I expected.

Pete
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:08 PM   #53
Kathy

I applied and got accepted within 24 hours. My payment rate is very good (I think!) and after only 3 days with their banner on the bottom half of my pages, I'm thrilled.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #54
hammer

Quote:
Originally posted by cheznoir
One site is doing very well, the ads are targetted and interesting. The other is a site with phpbb on it and they are doing horrid. It only seems to be able to parse forum related words.
Google is doing a great job on my site using phpbb 2.04. It's matching thread discussions with bang on ads.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 02:57 PM   #55
jnestor

Just started running these myself and all the ads I've seen are for JSP/Servlet development. While the site is built using these technologies that's not what the content is about. It'll be interesteing to see if Google resolves this better as time goes on. Do any of you with ASP or PHP based sites see ads for related technologies rather than for what your actual content is about?
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:49 PM   #56
Kathy

My website is built using php and around vbulletin and each thread's content is being hit right on target for the google ad running on each page.

I'm amazed....
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:49 PM   #57
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Interesting, I applied with a content site when the program was announced in the Adwords newsletter and was declined. Now, just a few minutes ago, I received a welcome letter from the program. This was without applying again to their program. Possibly they are doing a second run through to all those who they declined. Looking at their terms, I couldn't find anything that would prevent my site from joining unless they mistook some of my text links as text ads.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #58
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool

I'm in!!! it only took about three hours to get the 'Welcome to Google AdSense' E-Mail!! Now to see if it makes more than Amazon.com does!!! These ads are GREAT!!!!!!

For any one who has posted stats.....

:::You agree not to disclose Google Confidential Information without Google's prior written consent. "Google Confidential Information" includes without limitation: (a) all Google software, technology, technical specifications, materials, guidelines and documentation relating to the Program; (b) click-through rates or other statistics relating to Site performance in the Program provided to you by Google;

They don't tell you that until you get in the program.

Last edited by Nintendo; 06-23-2003 at 08:15 PM.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:36 PM   #59
gtmash

Hi,

Is it possible to run these ads through an iframe (which is how I show ads on my site)? I am guessing it's not, as I only see public service announcements, but it could also be because I live outside USA.

If this is not possible, is it effective to use <SCRIPT src="ad.js"></SCRIPT> in location of the ads on the page, and put the actual ad code in ad.js?

By the way, previewing a google ad set up as a fastclick default in the fastclick interface seems to show ads related to fastclick.

Thanks
gtmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:41 PM   #60
cheznoir
Member.

I run them in iframes with no problem past the phpBB issue I mentioned.

Chet
cheznoir is offline   Reply With Quote