Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2003, 08:31 PM   #1
TN Todd

Default What day of the week for newsletter?

What day of the week is a newsletter most likely to get read? I know this subject has come up before but I can't find the post.

Thanks!
TN Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
EMINEM79

From my experience, its usually middle of the week, tuesday/wednesday.

Dave
EMINEM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:48 PM   #3
Gracklor

So far, I've found myself sending e-mails to my site's joke list on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

However, I don't usually send the monday e-mail until the middle of the day so that the joke e-mail hits e-mail accounts after people have cleaned up the weekend stuff.
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:42 PM   #4
iwinweekly

Tuesday is usually considered the ideal time to get a email in front of a prospect. Because that is the day with the lowest volume of mail. So that the person receiving it isn't distracted by the tons of other mail they receive. I would say Tuesday-Thursday!
iwinweekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:09 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

I don't manage newsletters, but I remember reading the results of a study into email response rates a year or two ago (probably on ClickZ or IAR) that claimed 11am Tuesday was ideal.

By that time, the logic goes, workers in particular have cleared out the Monday barrage of spam and social greetings, have sifted through the mail for the next day and are receptive to external stimuli as they advance into their daily regimen. Backing up those over-reaching assumptions were quantitative response figures that seemed to support the hypothesis.

Of course, timing the email distro by time of day only works if your core audience reside in a similar time zone, but it can't hurt to at least aim for that time.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:55 PM   #6
TN Todd

Hi folks!

Thanks for the responces so far. I am not an mail expert at all but have recently been helping with a politically related newsletter list. No records or information has ever been tracked about this list, besides # of subscribers, so we have no previous numbers to compare to recent information to.

Here are a couple of numbers we have had. Maybe you have some insight into why they seem 'off'.

The list an HTML e-newsletter that has aprox. 3,600 subscribers and goes out once per week. Either late Sunday night or early Monday morning. For the last 3 weeks I have placed an image in the newsletter that I could track and here is what I have found.

Week 1 - 1450 views
Week 2 - 1950 views
Week 3 - 1900 views

A couple of things to keep in mind ....

I know that 3,600 members 400 of them are on AOL and can not see the images. I know that about 200 receive the e-mail in plain text format. But, I wonder where all the other members went. Keep in mind this letter isn't selling anything and they don't send spam of any sort, all members have joined the list and most need it for work related reasons.

It seems that about 1/3 of the subscribers fall into 1 or more of the following categories.

1) They throw it out with the Monday morning trash.
2) They are on some obscure ISP, like AOL, and aren't receivng the images.
3) They can't receive html mail and should be on the text list

Any other reasons you can think of?

Some vocal part of the members have expressed a desire to receive the newsletter Monday morning so that is when he sends it out.

What do you think? Is most of this 1/3 just throwing it out?
Old 04-16-2003, 09:08 AM   #7
Andrew Okunev

Here's a point of view:

http://ezine-tips.com/articles/manag...20020604.shtml
Andrew Okunev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:34 AM   #8
klickman

I read an article posted on another forum a couple of days ago which there was a complaint from a ezine publisher who stated that 1/3 of his aol subscribers email addresses were getting bounce.

He attributed this aol's new spam filtering policy. I don't know how much there is to that statement. AOL doesn't not guarantee that they will deliver email and they do have the right to filter questionable email which they consider spam.

Just a point you should consider if you have a great deal of subcribers who have aol email addresses.
klickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:59 AM   #9
TN Todd

Hi lickman,

We know that there are a number of AOL subscribers (around 600?). We have heard from several AOL users that they receive the newsletter but with no images.

I for the life of me can not figure out why anyone would use AOL. They are so non-compatible with the rest of the free world it's rediculous.

If you are or know of an AOL user why do you/they use AOL?
Old 04-24-2003, 10:24 AM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by TN Todd
If you are or know of an AOL user why do you/they use AOL?
I'd venture that it's the same reason people eat junk food on a regular basis; Convenience, ignorance and marketing.

Many people choose to use AOL as it's ostensibly more user-friendly and controlled than the alternative. Another reason is undoubtedly the fact that tens, if not hundreds of millions of people worldwide have been promised countless hours of free usage via the service's ever-pervasive CD distribution effort, and more still have been suckered in my snazzy marketing, entertainment tie-ins and the promise of original, exclusive content from a 'trusted' media behemoth.

As we know, most of these are net newbies whose needs eventually grow beyond those provided by the increasingly expensive (in comparative terms) market-leading service. Until then, we just have to put up with the email rendering differences and hope that AOL doesn't stimulate yet another browser war to kick off a second era of web display inconsistencies.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV

Last edited by Czar; 04-24-2003 at 10:25 AM.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:05 PM   #11
matty_c

Post Open Rate

Hey all, interesting discussion going on here.

Thought I would give you all a bigger perspective. We have 110000 subscribers on our mailing list and our open rate is about 8-10% That may not seem like much but we are getting about in about 9000 ppls minds.

Every email you have is a potential prospect. It all lies in the From Address, and the subject. Previously the subject was "Your Freelance Job Report" and we getting 6% open rate. We changed it to suit the jobs listed in site. such as "Transcribe from home" etc, and the open rate went up to about 15% average.

We don't usually worry about AOL subscribers anymore. They proved to be too much of a hassle and were in the minority of our subscribers.

Good luck to everyone
matty_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 06:49 AM   #12
BigMike

Quote:
We have 110000 subscribers on our mailing list and our open rate is about 8-10%
Matty,

how do you measure the open rate?

Regards,

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #13
matty_c

Thumbs up Get Response

Mike,

We use the feature available in Get Response Pro. It's quite handy when checking the open rate.

http://getresponse.com/

Matt
matty_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:17 AM   #14
BigMike

Thanks for the pointer, Matt, I'll check it out.

Regards,

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote