Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2002, 04:10 PM   #1
Lil_Red

Default Today's spam

Some "company" in Singapore called Scriptnow decided I want to add our site to their very empty directory. They took each application we offer and prefilled all the boxes. They even sent email on the applications we no longer publicly offer.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 09:00 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Default 6711 emails!

I've got one for you.

Today, I received 6711 EMAILS in one sitting!!!

I've never seen anything like this, but some spammer has apparently put his handy little email distribution tool on autopilot (whether deliberately or not), and I'm being flooded in a manner similar to a DOS attack.

These 6711 mailings represent my first email check of the day, and my last check was conducted less than 12 hours ago.

In any case, I'm shutting down that addy as a temporary measure and letting SpamCop know about this creep.

For those interested, this was the message:
Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: <snipped>
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2002 12:06 PM
Subject: FWD: Are you paying too much for waste disposal?

>
> Business Savings Program
>
> 79% of businesses are paying too much for trash removal services.
>
> You will not pay more for waste removal even after our fee. GUARANTEED
>
> Program objectives:
> 1. Save on your trash removal cost with your current waste vendor
> 2. Reduce heavy truck traffic on your property and unsightly overflow
> 3. You keep control, not someone else
>
>
> Program includes:
> 1. Review current practice
> 2. Survey equipment
> 3. Site specific program recommendations
>
> ANY BUSINESS SMALL OR LARGE ANYWHERE WILL SAVE. Guaranteed!
>
> Let our years in the waste and recycle industry work for you.
>
> Call us today
>
>
> TrashChek Waste Consulting
> PO Box 2155
> Shawnee Mission, KS 66201
> (913) 725-9281
I can think of some waste that I'd like removed right about now...

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 09:39 PM   #3
Lil_Red

I can sympathize. Knock on wood but this hasn't happened to me in awhile. The last time it did, I ended up with a little over 10,000 of the same email.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 10:16 PM   #4
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Hey Czar,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune with these guys. I ran a search on Google for the name and got nothing, but when I ran a search on the phone number...well, look for yourself. I wonder what name they use when they answer the phone. Probably changes from one month to the next.

Waste removal and private trash collection in the U.S. have historically had a strong tie to organized crime.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 10:27 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Thanks for the reference, Rhea. Looks very fishy indeed...

And they've used multiple email addresses at rn.com - which looks to be a humble nursing community that happens to offer free email (to its detriment). I bet they're as sick of these guys as the rest of us are.

It does make you wonder, though, how could these guys possibly think that sending 1000s of emails to each address would generate any business for the group? I know of plenty of people who have fallen for single spam-mail pitches, but doubt that anyone would be stupid enough to call these guys with any intent other than to engage in a 'debate'.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 07-28-2002, 07:15 AM   #6
Jan

Administrator

Default Re: 6711 emails!

Quote:
Originally posted by Czar
Today, I received 6711 EMAILS in one sitting!!!
How ridiculous! I wonder how many more received the same amount? It could have shut down their email service
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:14 AM   #7
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Stumbled across this article today http://www.clickz.com/feedback/buzz/...e.php/1432751.

According to the chart on this page, the 6,711 emails Czar received from a single company cost that company $0.06711. Czar's cost of receiving those emails works out to $671.10. Czar's cost is 10,000 times greater than the cost assumed by the sender. So thinking about this, Czar spent $671.10 on *nothing* which he might have spent instead on on a commodity that would have made him *and* the seller very happy. I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to economics, but this can't make good economic sense, can it? Assuming that's a valid statement, why don't governments step in to stop this nonsense?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:25 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Well, the FTC and the NY Attorney General's Office have edged into the fray somewhat, with both charging and jailing spammers recently.

The problem is that apparently, little to no legislation exists at present that explicitly defines or prohibits the distribution of unsolicited bulk commercial email. The FTC, for example, has cracked down through indirect means - such as charging spammers for featuring false or misleading claims in their mailings, and doing the same for the brokers of "74 million email addresses on one CD!" if their own ad material contains dishonest or unreasonable claims about the likely profitability or legality of making a bulk mailing, or the number of addresses that are valid and unique.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that some groups are admirably testing the waters, but those of us with several public email addys are still likely have a few more years of pain ahead.

(BTW, I actually received about 9,000 from that firm before the changes to my redirect settings came into effect. Now I just have to figure out a way to banish Klez from hitting my mailbox, and I might actually be able to check my email without my blood pressure rising. )

Last edited by Czar; 07-29-2002 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:07 AM   #9
FocaJohnL

Wow Czar, that's an intense mail-checking situation. I've gotten a few thousand before, but I don't think I've ever broken the 5,000 mark.

I think the only thing worse is when someone spams with *your* address, meaning that instead of getting mailbombed with spam, you get mailbombed with bounces. Then of course, user complaints arise from people wondering why you're sending them that mail. (This has happened to me before.)
FocaJohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:25 AM   #10
jokearound

rhea : how do they / you figure out that each spam email recieved costs 10c?!

it takes me about 10 seconds to download, scan and delete a piece of spam..nowhere near close to 10c of time and energy (although it would be nice!)
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:47 AM   #11
Rhea

Hey jokearound,

I didn't calculate the cost, the figures were provided in a chart on the URL I referenced. But I also wondered how the cost of receiving spam was calculated. Unfortunately there's no documentation on the site to support the figure.

I'm guessing that it's derived from 1) bandwidth cost to receive the email, 2) increased costs passed on to subscribers using ISP hosted email, 3) time spent managing unwanted email. But those are just guesses and there are probably other issues involved, too.

I think the bottom line is...spammers steal from all of us.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:00 AM   #12
Jan

Administrator

How's this for a *disclaimer*?
Quote:
This Information on Office Depot is being sent to you as part of your Free Membership Benefits package as a result of submitting your website:
http://www.mysite**.net for listing on the Claymont Search Engine (www.claymont.com) on August 7, 2002 with a contact email address of me@hotmail.com. We are committed to your right to privacy and if you do not wish to receive Membership Benefit mailings such as this in the future you may have this email address permanently removed by replying to this email with the word "Cancel" in the subject line.
Your email address will be removed from any future mailings. #
I haven't submitted any site to a search engine in over two years I think!
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote