Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2002, 02:14 PM   #16
jokearound

depending on how you are sending your newsletter, a text based one is more economical. It uses less bandwidth, so costs less if you are paying by the GB for your list hosting.

With a jokes list, the subscribers are not exactly loyal. Joke / Humor sites are 2 a penny these days (believe me, I know!). I know people that do HTML joke mails, and they say although it looks better (you can do thumbnail images etc etc), it doesnt make that much of a difference to response rate.

myself, ive never tried HTML mails, except for solo adverts..maybe that backs up what OC said..
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 03:58 PM   #17
ticksoft

The multipart mime feature isn't as good as it sounds, because there are the odd web based email clients that don't properly support it (certain squirrel mail versions)... also, some of the big commercial email systems like Groupwise and Lotus don't fully support it properly either. Ideally, if you want to write a system it needs to at least be able to send a HTML/Text mime encoded version for those that select HTML and a text only version for those that select Text. Additionally a good feature is to have an AOL version for the weird things you have to do to make URLs clickable in their software.
ticksoft is offline   Reply With Quote