Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Email client?
MS Outlook Express 13 38.24%
Pegasus Mail 5 14.71%
Netscape Messenger 0 0%
Eudora 9 26.47%
IncrediMail 1 2.94%
ePrompter 1 2.94%
Other 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2001, 02:04 PM   #1
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow What is your favorite Email client?

Please only vote once. Please tell us which client you use and why you like it. Frankly, Iv'e had it with MS Outlook Express and it's numerous security holes and the ability of third parties to "exploit" my email with nasty stuff. Finally, I can't even look at the headers of my POP email and deleate the ones I don't wan't before I download them. That nasty "I send you this file in order to have your advice" attachment virus is still around so this is really important.

For the last few days Iv'e been testing and using Pegasus Mail at http://www.pmail.com/

This client is 100% Free and appears to not be "spyware". It's got an incredibly small memory footprint and seems very stable and fast. The single feature I love the most is File > Selective Mail Download which lets me quickly look at the headers and deleate those nasty attachments email from my server which saves me tons of download time. Unfortunetly, I don't see a feature to import all my Outlook Email.

And you?
Old 09-29-2001, 02:31 PM   #2
CJB

I personally use pine. Since it runs on UNIX, it suffers from none of the Windows based vulnerabilities. It's quick and easy to use -- there's no real GUI to bog it down. Also, because it runs on a central server, my mail is portable to any computer with an SSH client. That's probably the main reason I use it.

Anyhow, it's not a client for everyone by any means, but it is my client of choice.
Old 09-29-2001, 04:53 PM   #3
Scuba

Thumbs up

I am using Eudora for over 3 years and Happy

My opinion of outlook is of a Virus Magnet
Old 09-29-2001, 06:46 PM   #4
singloon

GeekGuide

using the latest paid version of Eudora.. i like OE's functions but got sick of it getting corrupted and corrupting my inboxes since i at one stage had nearly 200,000 emails lodged in 5,000+ folders in OE5.5

i imported them into Eudora and it works and hasn't corrupted once although it seems to crash Eudora once a week with the 100s of mail filters i use to direct email to the right folders.. Eudora's filters don't seem to be as powerful as OE 5.5

I need something to handle up to 800 emails per day

Old 09-29-2001, 07:32 PM   #5
Tiggy

Lightbulb Don't keep an address book!

Been using Eudora for approx 2 years now - orignally moved over for the filters (which seemed more customisable than the version of OE I was using at the time)... this was before I discovered that OE was a virus magnet. Not had too many problems with viruses, as I have set it so that any mail over 20K is left on the server... this allows me to preview what I want and not have to bother downloading files to discover they are nasty!

My tip for preventing viruses from abusing your contact lists is to refrain from storing lists of addresses anywhere on the computer. If I can't find or remember someone's contact details when I need to contact them (either a reply or enquiry) then it can't have been important really can it?

Last edited by Tiggy; 09-29-2001 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:47 PM   #6
mjames

I know it has holes and vulnerabilities, but I use Outlook (2002/XP). I am used to it and its functions and wouldn't want to switch to another client. It is my belief that if you have updated and running antivirus, use caution with e-mails and attachments, and update patches to your products, you will be fine. And I have.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:53 PM   #7
paulj

I use Mulberry from http://www.cyrusoft.com/ it's the most powerful and configurable email I have used and excels at handling multiple accounts, including multiple SMTP servers. Prior to discovering Mulberry, I used PC-Pine, but the increasing popularity of HTML mail forced me to change. I chose Mulberry from a short list including Eudora and Pegasus. It runs on Windows, Linux, SPARC Solaris and Mac OS. It's $35 for a single license.
Old 09-30-2001, 06:06 PM   #8
Strider

I use Eudora but I think it does a terrible job of rendering HTML emails. I just download RitLabs Secure Bat which I have heard some great things about but it doesn't support the latest version of PGP.
Old 09-30-2001, 09:00 PM   #9
hobojoe

While we are on this topic does anyone know how to open up emails which are in their folder files?

The story is I was on win98 and just saved my folder files which have all the emails in them and I can't figure out how to import them into my new outlook express on win2k, or if thats possible becuase maybe I did it wrong

Anyway, I use Outlook Express because I can use it for newsgroups and mail and it came with my os of course so it was free and easy. I guess I am just waiting for a virus to hit me to switch over. I switched to eudora once for like a day but I didn't feel like figuring it out.
Old 09-30-2001, 09:54 PM   #10
malibber

I use outlook express because it is convenient. When I use to produce html newsletters, I found that Eudora was essential because Outlook or Outlook express wouldn’t get the job done. I also use yahoo mail daily because it easy to access my accounts from any computer.

Last edited by malibber; 09-30-2001 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2001, 04:16 AM   #11
LastActionHero

I use eprompter to check my mail and since I write only about 1 or two mails per day either I log on to the web and write my mails. My mails are always stored on the various web based accounts. But I'm thinking of setting up a password protected webpage and set up a formail script there so that I can write my mails quickly.

Before getting broadband I used to use Eudora mainly because of OE security issues.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:44 AM   #12
Jan

Administrator

Until recently, I used Netscape for mail. Like for 4 years!!!

Then suddenly if someone included a .jpg in their email it crashed.

I persevered for a couple of days and it happened it each time.

So I moved to outlook express. Okay .jpgs downloaded okay, but if I hit reply, the recipient got a weird code instead of a message (one that I had seen on replies from others in the past)

It was too hard to explain to those that got just the code to look at properties and see what I wrote, so I did a full uninstall of Netscape (including registry) and installed it again.

The same problem occurred (crashing with a .jpg in an email)

So I gave Incredimail a try and that works for me in all respects now.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:17 AM   #13
Scuba

MS as the only program vendor on the planet made Outlook to send the atachments as some sort of a dat file that only outlook can read.
I had several problems with it untill we have found out that if you send the atachment as zip it is being sent normally.

Now my friends that still use it from verius reasons send all in zip and all are happy.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:00 PM   #14
Scuba

Angry MS MS MS MS

MS are the official problem for the last 5 years or more
And with upcoming XP they dont seem to get any better soon </rant>
Old 10-09-2001, 04:50 AM   #15
Supermoo

Smile Pegasus Mail

I love it! It's trated me well for over two years, a truly amazing program! It's great, oh and FREE!