Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Arrow Keys to a successful site

With that subject you might have been expecting something from some guy saying he had made ten billion dollars online in just one month and for only fifty dollars he would tell you how you could do the same.

Well, that isn't what this is all about. It deals with things that are a lot more realistic than that.

A few weeks ago I started this thread http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=26663 Newbie affiliate program selecting tips. That thread has done very well and possibly even helped a few people who are new to all of this.

So I thought I would start this thread with some tips on how someone getting started can be more successful, and keeping in mind that successful means different things to different people.

I hope some of my fellow Geek/Talk members will add some more tips.

I'll get things started with several tips which aren't in any particular order:

First, ask for help whenever you need help. If you have a problem try to get help with that problem. Posting the problem here at Geek/Talk is one place you can get help.

Luck also can play a role. I hate to say it but it does sometimes and that may or may not be something you can control. Bad luck can hurt you and good luck can really help.

Lots of hard work always helps. Spend as much time as possible working on your site and finding ways to make it better.

Make sure you have your own domain name and not some strange something from a free service. Register that domain name with an established registrar which has a low price. No need to pay a high price.

Make sure your site has lots of content. This will help you with your visitors as well as provide plenty of food for the search engines.

Design your site so it is easy to read and easy to navigate.

Get listed in directories. You might keep hearing get listed in DMOZ. It doesn't need to be DMOZ. If you get listed there fine, if not fine. There are many fine directories and many of them will list you much quicker than DMOZ. Try to get listed in as many directories as possible. Do manual submissions. Don't try to find some quick, easy automatic submission.

Being listed in lots of directories could bring you some traffic. But, may or may not provide you with lots of traffic. However, being listed in directories will provide links to your site which will be found by the search engines and search engines can bring you plenty of traffic. It doesn't take lots of directories, just as long as you are listed in some directory that will provide a link for search engines to find you.

You can submit to search engines, but this doesn't guarantee that they will list you. The search engines like to find you through a link from another site.

When you design your site, design it with your visitors in mind and try to make it the very best that you can. Do not try to design it for search engines by using all types of tricks to fool the search engines.

If you design your site with your visitors in mind, there will be people who will like your site and link to you from your site without you even asking.

Consider building links by such things as exchanging links with other sites.

Try to update your content and add new content. The new content provides more for the search engines and that will give you more opportunities to attract more people to your site.

Try to make sure that your site is about something you have an interest in. That makes your site much more fun for you to work on and will encourage you to spend the time needed to help make it a good site.

Avoid using FFA (Free For All) listings, and buying traffic from places that promise to deliver traffic to your site for a fee.

Avoid doing business with those who promise to submit your site to thousands of directories and search engines for a fee. The major search engines and a very few directories are the only ones which really deliver much traffic.

Repeat visitors can be very helpful. Keeping your site up to date and adding new content is a good way to keep visitors coming back.

Try to develop good contacts with other people who have sites. These people can help you to advance your site.

Consider adding a newsletter. Newsletters might not be as effective as they once were because of all the spam filters etc., but they can still be helpful. Traffic often increases after a newsletter is sent out and some of your subscribers will forward you newsletter to their friends if you have a good newsletter.

Word of mouth really helps. If you have a good site, people are going to tell others about your site.

You might also consider adding a Tell A Friend feature to your site. This works much better for some sites than others. But it might be worth a try to see how it works for you.

Get a good stats program or service so that you can examine your stats. This will provide you with valuable information about the people who visit your site as to where they visit, where they don't visit and how they arrived at your site. You can use this information to improve your site.

Above all, be patient. Don't expect things to happen real fast. Too often people just simply give up because things didn't happen as quickly as they wanted them to.

Stick with it. Fight against the disappointments. Learn from your mistakes. Be willing to wait long enough for your work to bring you the rewards that you want.

There you have a few tips to begin with. I only listed things which don't cost anything. There are things you can do that will also be keys to your success that involve spending money. But remember that you can make it without spending lots of money.

There are many more tips that others can provide to you. Some might not agree with some of the things I've said or have different tips that they would like to add.

With a little luck some other Geek/Talk members will contribute to this and provide more tips that can be very helpful to people getting started or to some people who are running into some temporary problems.

What keys to success do you have to offer?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
tobiasussing

Nice thread, all the stuff that it takes you a few months to learn the first time around, and then becomes second nature.

Good contribution

Sincerely
Tobias Ussing
Old 03-28-2005, 12:57 AM   #3
e_d

I would like to add one tip that helped me. This is for those who are somewhat computer literate and know how some stuff works. Learn the specific details on how google works (most search engines follow google). You may want to read "The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine" located at http://www-db.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html written by the two men themselves who do it best ;-).

As larwee also already said, be patient, very patient. It took me 5 months before I got more than 1000 pages indexed by any major search engine. Also just get like $50 gathered for testing advertising ideas that cost money. Try your hand at adwords with like $10 and see how well it works, study up about it.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
assass

Default Re: Keys to a successful site

Quote:
Originally posted by larwee
Make sure you have your own domain name and not some strange something from a free service. Register that domain name with an established registrar which has a low price. No need to pay a high price.
There are indeed a lot of registrars and domain name hosters who ask to much money for a domain.

First of all never get a pre-registered domain. Some registrars go out and just registar thousands of domain names they think have a lot of potential. Always try to think of a new unregistered domain name, which you can register for a fair normal price!

There are a lot of sources out there on the internet where you can find quality information about relatively cheap, but good hosting companies/registrars. Like the following:

1. Go to http://www.hostchart.com/hostcowizard.asp, fill in the wizard, get some results
2. Go to http://www.hostchart.com/show_reviews.asp and find out if there are reviews available about the specific hoster
3. Try sites like Alexa (http://www.alexa.com/data/details/?u...uwanttosee.com) to find some user comments about specific companies who specialize in hosting/registering domain names
4. http://www.upperhost.com seems to have some good reviews
5. ask around geekvillage.com for experiences on specific hosters and always try googling, http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=...+reviews&meta=

Remember that you will be very dependant of whatever company takes care of your domain and web site hosting. When they mess up, create down time, it costs you visitors, popularity, reputation, increases chances for visitors to go and keep visiting competitors of your site, in the end it'll cost you money.

That's why it's indeed very important to be sure finding a good company.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:54 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Another great thread from Dr. larwee, who has successfully summed up a number of essentials for those starting out in the biz.

One that I'd like to further emphasize is that related to asking questions. Regardless of how far you've progressed along the professional spectrum, don't be afraid to ask questions in public, even if you are concerned about appearing unknowledgeable.

I know that one of my biggest failings a few years ago was in mistakingly thinking that having an experience base and promoting oneself as an expert within a particular field means that asking "stupid" questions would be perceived as weakness. Rather, being afraid to ask and being closed to new ideas, new processes or new voices had the opposite effect. Now, I'm never afraid to reveal just how weak is my knowledge of certain specific matters, and doing so has only brought benefits. Apart from tapping into a ready base of talent, asking questions may help to forge professional and personal relationships and may stimulate discussion of alternative methods, all while highlighting that you're still willing to learn and grow in your profession.

So, be confident in the knowledge that asking seemingly foolish questions could do more for you than simply help you out of a single sticky situation.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
Larwee

GeekGuide

Can anyone think of anything to add to this thread?

There are plenty of smart Geek/Talk members out there with many interesting ideas.

People often come to Geek/Talk because they need help. This is a thread that can provide plenty of help to some people who need it.

If you can think of any tip or tips that would help anyone have a successful or more successful site, please post them.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:47 AM   #7
Dalgar

This isn't applicable to all sites, but if possible you should try to engage the community who visits your website to contribute. Recruiting 3-4 "staff" members can greatly increase the amount of content you offer.

It will also increase the rate at which content is added, which will help with repeat visitors.

If it works for your topic, I would also suggest trying to post daily news on your front page. It doesn't take much time, and it can get people coming back every day. Try to dig around and find interesting things that other sites in your area haven't mentioned. Even thats not entirely necessary though, as you can also have good success consolidating the news you read on other websites about your topic.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
jlwcashflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larwee
Get a good stats program or service so that you can examine your stats. This will provide you with valuable information about the people who visit your site as to where they visit, where they don't visit and how they arrived at your site. You can use this information to improve your site.
I would like to ask the group for a list of features they would want in their stats program and explain why so I can start understanding the importance and make my own listing. Also, if you use autoresponders, could you please provide a features listing here as well. Thank you...look forward to learning from your replies,

JW
Old 03-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
Larwee

GeekGuide

jlwcashflow, here is a link to a thread that tells about some of the stats programs that Geek/Talk users like and some of the reasons they like them. You may want to examine some that are mentioned and see some of the features they offer. http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26591
Old 03-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
jlwcashflow

Thank you Larwee...I did read that thread. It does mention many statistical sites / programs available; but it's the features specifically for websites and autoresponders I am interested in. Once I have a good understanding of features that individuals find invaluable and compare to a list of needs, I can go shopping.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:13 AM   #11
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default Some more keys to a successful site

Since this thread has been brought back to life, I thought I would add some more keys to a successful site since it has been close to one year since someone last added a tip to this thread.

Some person just getting started might find this thread to be very useful to them. So I am hoping more Geek/Talk members will add some keys to a successful site that would be helpful.

It is even possible that someone who isn't just getting started could be helped by this thread if they are having problems with their site being as successful as they would like for it to be.

Your site could possibly benefit a great deal if you learn about blogs and RSS feeds and put them to use.

A blog can be successful on its own. But you can use your blog to help your site. Of course you would have a link to your site on your blog, but you can also use your blog as a promotional vehicle for your site. With RSS feeds people can subscribe to your blog.

http://www.blogger.com isn't the only choice you have for a blog. It is one of many choices you have. But it is free, plus it will automatically create feeds to make it possible for people to subscribe to your blog.

Try to create a good and interesting blog that is loaded with content. You could end up having a successful blog, plus you will be able to use your blog to increase traffic to your website.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:32 AM   #12
jlwcashflow

Quote from Larwee: Make sure your site has lots of content. This will help you with your visitors as well as provide plenty of food for the search engines.

The site I am going to provide is service based (focused searching through a website database), so content is my week spot as of now. To monetize the site, I will have some affiliates and google adsense integrated. Obviously, if I could provide lots of content, then I could provide more theme specific affiliate and more pages for adsense for a better footprint to monetize. There are sites with hundreds of pages of content...can anyone help suggest a trusted strategy to help me with content? I have heard there are alternatives to creating all the website content yourself...I just wouldn't know where to start.

v/r
JW
Old 03-13-2006, 08:43 AM   #13
etechsupport

Yep, Quality content is the optimum technique which provide a trust worthy place for your visitors.