Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2002, 01:15 PM   #1
Questy

Lightbulb Comparing Content Management Systems

With any luck at all I may actually get some content posted and actually have something to show folks at my small business and technolgy web site.

The initial focus of this site is the old cliche of working smarter instead of harder. From my business experience I want to have some content on helping folks define their business intranet. The other topic that may be of interest for folks here in this forum is the use of Content Management Systems.

I have seen a few posts in this forum from time to time about Content Management Systems, but I am a bit surprised there hasn't been more. CMS's can be an effective tool for getting a site up and running in a relatively short period of time. Many years ago I was a "Poderator" for a "Pod" on Tripod back before they merged with Lycos, and actually had their own communities. I was just looking for a way to create a "playground" like the online community I used to moderate on Tripod when I stumbled upon all these of Content Management Systems.

I am personally testing and comparing some of the more common open source CMS like PHP-Nuke, PostNuke, and phpWebSite. While PostNuke has a pretty decent community, I have fould very little about these systems outside their own community of users.

As I said I am doing my own comparisons, but would be curious of anyone who has used or tested multiple CMS's. Is there anyone else out there that has actually used and compared Content Management Systems? What kind of feedback have you gotten back from your users of PHP-Nuke, PostNuke, phpWebSite? What made you choose one over the other?

For the good of the community here I will update this thread when I have my "test sites" set up.
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:51 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Welcome back again "Q"

Iv'e played with PostNuke and PHPNuke but put the site and project on the back burner as I need more support and crystal clear instructions for folks that are not php programmers and a more mature product. Ive seen some of the others used with great results and I think they all have value in their space.

I have also tried php Portals at:

http://www.phpportals.com/

This is open source + donations I think. I like this one the best because it has hooks to a mature commercial product known as vB and it seemed easier to use.

I think the definition of CMS is fairly fuzzy and hope the next thought is not to far off topic.

Then I installed LinksSQL which believe it or not can and has been used as a CMS with outstanding results.

See:

http://ojocalientespa.com/index.html for an interesting example of using LinksSQL as a "CMS"

Another way to implement it:

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 07:52 PM   #3
Questy

Talking

RE: >> I need more support and crystal clear instructions for folks that are not php programmers

That is the biggest problem I see with most of the open source CMS's, they assume quite a bit. Most of the ones I've seen are PHP based, and I broke down and bought a PHP book today.

My reason for even drifting off to PHP land is that the local "community" of geeks where I've been hanging out seems to be big on PHP. I've seen it used as an interface for many sites. I actually started out trying to find some PERL scripts to implement on some test sites that I was going to use as examples for classes I am teaching. Everytime I asked around for options and opinions about the PERL scripts I was using, someone always seem to offer a PHP script as an alternative. There's a lot about PHP I don't know, and really haven't even seen any good comparisons as far as the pro's and cons of using PHP over PERL. But I do agree the topic of CMS's as a whole does seem to be very fuzzy, and in its very early stages of development.

RE: >> LinksSQL

Thanks for the input and the links to the sites, I'll have to check them out.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:22 PM   #4
mikesgt2

Generally I hate phpnuke sites. The only one that I like off the top of my head is phpwizard.

I would look for a content managment system that is simpler.

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...nt_Management/
mikesgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 11:27 PM   #5
georgec

One system I've actually spent quite a lot of time installing and testing is http://www.pmachine.com It looks promising, and the underlining code is clean and crisp, making it easy for customization.

Depending on the popularity of your site, you may have to fine tune php and mysql to handle the extra load of such programs. This is one thing that's holding me back- running pMachine I noticed I definitely needed to do some tweaking, which I'm still an absolute beginner at, so I'm holding things off until then.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 11:20 AM   #6
Strider

I haven't tried it yet but http://geeklog.sourceforge.net/ looks interesting. I have no idea how hard it is to use and install but it's worth taking a look.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 04:22 PM   #7
Questy

Thumbs up

Strider and georgec

Thanks for the interesting additions of the list to try.

That in itself is my problem, so many possible scripts to run, how to choose. In my week long adventure, for this round, I have a PostNuke and a phpWebSite up and running. "Out of the box" I was able to get the phpWebSite up and running to my liking my quicker than PostNuke. In fact in about an evening I got the phpWebSite about to 90% of what I wanted as far as install and config. As far as the PostNuke site, after about two evenings of reading their support site, and playing around, I don't feel I'm nearly as far as with the phpWebSite.

I'll post the links to the sites here when I get them running for you to check out.

As far as the other suggestions here, once again, thanks, I will try to find the time to check them out in detail.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:00 PM   #8
Strider

If you are still interested, I was intrigued by GeekLog so I installed it and setup a site at http://www.youneedthisbook.com. It took me all of 30 minutes to install it and maybe another hour to configure it. I still have some work to do configuring all the options but so far I have been impressed with GeekLog. One thing I liked about it was it seems to have very clear and easy to follow documentation unlike so many of the others.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 12:43 AM   #9
Questy

Lightbulb

RE: >> GeekLog

This one looks interesting, shows some promise and I've heard some good things about it, so time permitting, I may kick the tires on it soon.

From my research PostNuke and phpWebSite seemed to be the most popular so I have created the two communities listed below.

The content of each of the communities is very different, and each one is being used to test a different Content Management System, so keep that in mind as you plan. In any event, feel free to join either, or both, and tell me what you think.

Smart Technology is an online community for a sharing of ideas to use technology smarter to make your life easier, and increase your productivity, without increasing your frustration.

http://smarttechnology.info/website/

I have created The NEW home of Philosophyguru, a "playground" like an online community I used to moderate on Tripod, ... a place to have some fun, share some ideas, to share thoughts on very personal issues, your beliefs, voice your thoughts online.

http://www.philosophyguru.net/postnuke/

My initial report...

phpWebSite was up and running in an evening. Just editing the Style Sheets, and using the web interface to configure it, I had it pretty functional and with the exception of adding some content, (which it still needs) I had it pretty much running to my linking and customized by the end of the second evening. (Keep in mind I am doing this in my "spare time" so I am working on this in 3 to 4 hour blocks per evening.

While the phpWebSite does not appear to be as active or as large as the "nuke" family I was able to pick up quite a bit of information from their main site, and that of one of their better skilled users.

postnuke seems to have an active community, but it did take me much longer to get it up and running. While I had phpWebSite running and customized by the end of the second evening, I spent about 2 evenings, and large chunk of the day on Saturday and Sunday learning, and configuring. While there is a larger volume of information, modules, and templates for postnuke, this actually hurt more than it helped. Of the numerous templates I downloaded, many did not work. It was only through a day of experimentation that I found a template I liked, and actually worked. From there I analyzed the code, and edited it to my color theme.

Both sites now need a dose of content, and of course need some traffic so I can see how things "flow" through the sites. Hope someone else out there can find some benefit in my experiments. I will keep you posted, and as always, look forward to all of your feedback.

Happy Thanksgiving....
Tom P. "Questy"
Old 02-16-2003, 11:47 AM   #10
Sulla

Default CMS for high traffic site

I have been looking for a good CMS also. It seems the problem many of them have like Postnuke is that they do not do well on high traffic sites. Is any one using a CMS on their high traffic site and if so which one are you using?
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:01 AM   #11
Max

I use Geeklog. Worked great so far.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 12:09 AM   #12
Pink Floyd Fan

Default My experience with GeekLog

I have previously installed several CMS's, including PHPNuke, PostNuke, phpWebSite, XOOPS, Drupal, among others. Usually in just a few minutes until I could get everything running, although none of them were really what I was looking for. Tonight, I spent the last two hours TRYING to install GeekLog. Now either I am just too tired tonight, or you really have to be a rocket scientist to achieve that feat. I can't recommend it.
Pink Floyd Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 01:14 AM   #13
jessebhunt

Wow... your digging up an old one here!

I have also recently began working on a new site using a CMS. I have tried phpnuke and postnuke. My only real requirement is that I'm able to have "short urls" (search engine friendly.) So far I have not been able to get this feature to work on postnuke or phpnuke.

I have found downloads to setup the "short urls" for both postnuke and phpnuke, but apparently the .htaccess files that come in those files won't work on my server because I keep ending up with errors.

Last edited by jessebhunt; 01-02-2004 at 01:14 AM.
jessebhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 11:59 AM   #14
bstrawse

I guess it just depends on what you want the CMS for..

We're powering ElectionBeat.com and GulfWarOnline.com with movable type, which is working great....

Bryan
bstrawse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:03 PM   #15
James

Another webmaster and I have tested some of the main ones, but neither of us have much php experience,
personally all that I really know is
PHP Code:
<?php echo "Hello World"?>
All of these CMSes are too complex to set up or to configure, and often are just for communities. I'm considering learning PHP and then spending a few years (if it takes that long) to make my own CMS which can be simple. Just a HTML template which has something like [NAV] [CONTENT] etc for where you'd want your navigation and content, then a little button on the bottom for admins.

It would be easy as paint. But hard as heck to program

I'll probbably never get around to it, but it's nice to fantisize about such a nice CMS.

PS, bstrawse, was MovableType very search engine friendly, or is that something that you had to change on it, or what?

Last edited by James; 01-02-2004 at 06:06 PM.
James is offline   Reply With Quote