Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2003, 09:03 PM   #61
1lit

I have just read the article below and think the pop-up/under will finally be dead when the new version of Internet Explorer comes out

"New IE may burst pop-up bubble"

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-511...tml?tag=adnews

"Many people use Google's Toolbar to block out the unwanted ads. The company has said that "millions" of people have downloaded its toolbar with pop-up blocking features. Google and other search providers such as Yahoo are eager to let people block pop-ups because they will benefit from the shift in advertising dollars to contextual ads."

Last edited by 1lit; 11-26-2003 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:25 AM   #62
James

Popups, Popunders, and all of those nice little words with "Pop" in them will not die any time soon. I'm convinced of that much.

Less webmasters using them just creates higher rates that advertisers are willing to spend. It will be a less used medium, sure. But will not be silenced.

There's always a way around everything. And this is no exception IMHO.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:46 PM   #63
jclarkkent2003

Quote:
Originally posted by tntcheats
Popups, Popunders, and all of those nice little words with "Pop" in them will not die any time soon. I'm convinced of that much.

Less webmasters using them just creates higher rates that advertisers are willing to spend. It will be a less used medium, sure. But will not be silenced.

There's always a way around everything. And this is no exception IMHO.
tntcheats, I really REALLY hope so!

Do you know of a way to make popups get around the popup blockers?

I would like to know BOTH of how to's, one on HOW-TO: If user is using popupblocker, go to noads.html and ask them politely to turn it off, and the other one HOW-TO: If user is using popup blocker, they open anyways,

I read somewhere that someone knew how to get around popup blockers already, something about putting popup scripts in an hidden iframe or a small iframe on the page? Does this really work and do people like Robert from SI approve of that? It seems sorta like attempting to cheat, by hidding the true referrer, but it's just trying to be honest.

Someone mentioned in this thread earlier about they are afraid for fastclicks once popup blockers become bigger? lol, I feel really baddly for companies like SI , YESUP, Oversee, etc...

These companies have SEVERAL branches, but in each of them you see they each own like 4-8 different smaller popup companies. This means their MAIN PROFIT and SALES are from POPUPS and POPUNDERS~!

OMG, IMHO if Microsoft really does install a free popup blocker DEFAULT into the next IE, my websites will completely fall apart, my domain name renewals ALONE (63 X 8.95 a year = 563.85) plus I buy more domains each week, will kill me then add the cost of the server (300 mo.) and all it's mantience time and stuff ...
I'm scared just to think about it... (

I hope Robert is working on a plan for WHEN, not if Microsoft puts a popup blocker in IE. They wouldn't have mentioned it or brought it up if they weren't really thinking about doing it seriously.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:24 PM   #64
gophergas

I'm betting that if IE does start blocking pops -- and to a lesser level, if Google's toolbar starts eating into profits -- webmasters across the globe are going to start retaliating by setting up their websites so that users are required to turn off the blocker in order to see the site properly. People will eventually get tired of turning their blockers off and on -- and will ultimately just leave them turned off.

Yeah, it'll eat into profits to some extent, but even if pops do disappear entirely, webmasters will find some way to make up for lost revenue. I suspect we're also going to start seeing a LOT more interstitials on websites.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:12 AM   #65
brian 2468

Running on Mac OSX and using the excellent browser pop-ups are non existant. Changing the way folks come to my site by stating you have turn OFF your pop-ups blocker would be a sad move by any webmasters...
Old 02-18-2004, 09:01 AM   #66
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

brian,

You obviously run your site as a hobby, which is pefectly fine.

But for the webmaster running their website as a business there is absolutely nothing "sad" about altering their content for persons who refuse to view the advertising that pays to keep the site running.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:38 PM   #67
James

It's like telling someone to "stay tuned" when you're going to a commercial on TV. No one minds, and some people might actually do it.

As for solutions to keep the popups online: just give the threats a nice warning. Webmasters get very mad when they loose alot of income, as do all of us, and the thing is that there are alot more annoying things than popups.

They don't want to test how annoying we can get--believe me.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:34 PM   #68
iamlost456

Lightbulb Possible Solution?

I agree that pop up blockers could hurt webamster profit, especially if you run a website as a bussiness. One possible solution I think you could do is to offer your website visiotrs to download the alexa toolbar that blocks popups!

Your pry thinking im crazy, but this toolbar puts your amazon refferal id with the links placed on the search results page when the users search with it. The bar also includes a link to amazon with you id builtin and a link to your website. So if people are going to use these bars, you might as well cash in on the people using them by offering your own!
Old 03-23-2004, 05:21 PM   #69
simhome
Member.

Quote:

Do you know of a way to make popups get around the popup blockers?

I guess even there is a way to get around the popup blockers, visitor would not like to visit that site.

Besides advertisers and visitors are going for PPC, since advertisers love that, and not annoying for visitors.
Such as Google adsense and YesUp Clicksor.com

So this would be harder for popup to stay alive as they are using CPM.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:52 AM   #70
w3exit

Quote:
Originally posted by simhome
I guess even there is a way to get around the popup blockers, visitor would not like to visit that site.

Besides advertisers and visitors are going for PPC, since advertisers love that, and not annoying for visitors.
Such as Google adsense and YesUp Clicksor.com

So this would be harder for popup to stay alive as they are using CPM.
The solution proposed by sashman (adoutput.com) seems good ... definitely got around the google blocker.

I wonder if anyone has already implemented it on a network wide basis?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #71
simhome
Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by w3exit
The solution proposed by sashman (adoutput.com) seems good ... definitely got around the google blocker.

Paypopup was using it, and is still using it.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:34 PM   #72
Sashman

Quote:
It's only been tested by one provider so far and the results were decent. Impressions and CTR were both higher (which validated our own tests), while ROI is still being evaluated. We've had interest from providers who would like to implement it, however some exciting things are in the works that may put that off for a few weeks.

In fairness, I'd like to point out that one publisher using fastclick noticed a decrease in CTR. We have a good 8 or more showing CTR gains, so it's possible it was a fluke .. or perhaps there is another variable eluding us.

Quote:
Paypopup was using it, and is still using it.
Paypopup is using one of my earlier free versions. It will give ~5% increase in impressions. The new one has that method build in as well, in addition to two others; when combined should net a 15% improvement on impressions. If the popup is standard (fixed) and set to display as a layer or force popped, we're seeing a 20%+ increase in impressions.

Last edited by Sashman; 03-25-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:29 AM   #73
w3exit

Thanks for the update sashman. Do keep me in the loop on the development ... I'm keen to know how it can work on a network wide basis
Old 03-26-2004, 10:54 AM   #74
Sashman

Quote:
Thanks for the update sashman. Do keep me in the loop on the development ... I'm keen to know how it can work on a network wide basis
Sure. Btw, are you all ever going to send me your advertiser rate card?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:11 AM   #75
w3exit

LOL I'll personally look into that .. must have slipped thru the loop. Sent you a PM.