Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2002, 04:34 PM   #1
Lil_Red

Default Monetizing non-English traffic

How do you monetize non-English traffic as ad networks become more and more restrictive?
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:31 PM   #2
FunPortal
Member.

I know i said this in a previous similiar post. But the person or company that really figures out the niche of facilitating traffic transfers to sites based in other countries will become a dotcom millionaire (if such a thing still exists).

This issue affects every website (to a certain extent of course) and i know if i was running a web business in let's say china sending me people from my region would be worth something. But i know of no agency or site that currently does this. I guess the web still has a little more growing up to do.
FunPortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 10:40 PM   #3
Ex

Personally I think that the Internet is kinda of a global market with no boundaries, but in actual business these boundaries do exists. Even in commercial tv ads, different ads are for different countries. And different countries have different policies too(won't comment further as I'm in my company's international marketing group and facing tonnes of policies and political problems)

Until the internet can be TRULY said as a global marketplace then would internet advertising flourish.
Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 11:22 AM   #4
jnestor

Burst is currently running a couple campaigns targetted to people in Europe. The one UK campaign has been renewed at least once and there's a newer one that was recently extended. It's an encouraging trend.

Another alternative would be to try to sign up with a European ad network and direct your country specific traffic there. I've personally had no luck at this so far.

I suspect this market will come around eventually. Personally at the moment I'm not doing anything to promote specifically to overseas readers. (Actually I'm not doing a lot of promotion of any kind.) My theory is to just carry them as long as I can - taking whatever is available for them and hope the market develops. Pretty much my overall strategy at the moment.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:20 PM   #5
C. Stark

I use non-US traffic for link exchanging. Free Banner Exchanges don't seem to mind where it is coming from. Send them whatever and they send you back US traffic.
C. Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:23 PM   #6
C. Stark

Does anyone know if there is software written that will block your site from non-US traffic?
C. Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 09:06 PM   #7
FunPortal
Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by C. Stark
Does anyone know if there is software written that will block your site from non-US traffic?
Yup, it's at http://geo-ip.com
FunPortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 09:24 AM   #8
PaulT

I use affiliate programs for computer games, and I manage to sell a lot to non-English countries.

I offer people a choice of vendors and I list which countries vendor X will ship to, plus I inform the visitors of the advantages of buying from vendor X (such as they'll be able to get the game before it's released in their country).

I find this works quite well, and therefore I manage to make quite a bit of money from non-english traffic by doing this.
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote