Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2001, 12:21 PM   #31
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Guava:
But how would it reduce fraud really? You could see a list saying that site X recieved $0.80 CPM just like everyone else but in reality they got a higher CPM. I don't see any need for this with a reputable administration. If the administration wanted to cheat the member sites then they could, bottom line. But you have to have a little trust, if they are cheating it'll get out and the network will be plauged with other problems too.

But the thing is that we are trying to discuss ways to make a successful network. We can just get some administrators and put them their hoping they don't decide to cheat us off. Of course there are negatives to using the open statistics but I never proposed making the stats open to the public. It should be open to all members and members only. But I still see a problem with that too.

BTW I didn't mean just put a list of stats on a page. I wanted secure and dynamic statistics updated by the ad network software. Not a human being...
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 12:34 PM   #32
Guava

Unhappy

Perhaps you could give webmasters the option to not show their stats on that page? Or just not show their payment rate? So for some sites you'd just have a listing of pageviews and no CPM rates.

------------------
Guava
NetMongol.com Free E-Mail @YourDomain.com
Keep 100% of the Banner Space! For only $10 per month
NetMongol Affiliate Program Paying $5 per sale and then $2 per month after that
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 01:35 PM   #33
BlazeBox
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

Just to clarify some stuff from my side (since me and Kaumil launched adathon.com):

Guava - as far as Doubleclick admittance it concerned, I am pretty sure we'll manage to get in - I have a meeting with the managing director of Doubleclick Europe currently being scheduled, and while the focus will not at all be only on Europe, it is a great entrance - I am pretty confident as to that will succeed.

As to leadership I say we'll have to form a small yet very knowledgable group of folks able to lead this type of operation - based in several parts of the world. I for one, could take care of European operation coordination, while Kaumil could do Canada, and hypothetically spoken Czar could do Australia and whoever else could do Northern America, Asia, and other major net areas. I do think we need to try running as much of an open operation as possible with everyone involved who actually is a member. And be selective.

I was thinking, and maybe we could do the following as well (brainstorming here): simply work according to an IO process to member sites - so you engage ads (or whatever else) but when we have a campaign you'll simply swap things over - I don't know if that would be necessary though, since a DC deal seems possible.

Just my input - let's make this something nice, I think this can work out when we handle this the right way ...
BlazeBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 01:50 PM   #34
Outlaw

Smile

Well I only read about 1/2 of all these posts, but so far this is what I feel... Never (to my knowledge) has such a huge group of webmasters banded together to form one huge network... Doubleclick, RealMedia, 24/7, and About were all created by big companies who probably knew nothing about actual websites, maybe a few programmers here and there, graphic designers, html coders, and then the big MBA's and CEO's... These people just hired people again and again... They probably know very little by themselves... Also when they hire each extra person they have to pay them off... Now that cost A LOT of money (I mean why do you think all these companies are makign such cutbacks?) However if we all go into it we wont be looking for paychecks in graphic design, html coding and so on... Just paychecks for impressions and clicks. Sure we may have a CEO, manager, and whatever, but that'll likely be good... Say we make it into the stock market we can all share money and invest like hell... I am not sure if I am making much sense, but I feel this is a good idea, and we should go along with it...

------------------
- AI Corp.
www.animeinstinct.com
www.animetopsites.com
www.dbzhost.com
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 01:57 PM   #35
Outlaw

Unhappy

Oh didn't read for statistics.. To track statistics I suggest using Advert Pro... It is around $500 dollars, plus $150 for a plugin affiliate script... I have a domain we could use www.zonify.com if you don't want to use that Adtouch or whatever you said KP... I feel zonify is a cool name, and attracts people I mean which would you rather hear??? (ZONIFY! or... AdAthon...?) Seriously Zonify sounds better... I was actualyl gonna make zonify my own Affiliate Program, and I was probably gonna use Advert Pro or get the script custom made...

Oh.. forgot to talk about Advert pro...
Here are the features...

AdvertPRO can be easily translated to other spoken languages
Easily rotate your paid ad banners and even integrate affiliate code like AdQuantum, Flycast, BurstMedia, bCentral, and Linkexchange
Save money by moving away from expensive ad delivery services like Engage, AdForce, 24/7, and Doubleclick
Code Generator allows you to easily generate code to display your ad banners in HTML, SSI, Perl, and PHP formats
Serves banners to local and remote web sites
Rich Media and Standard ad banners can be displayed with or without SSI
Advanced Account and Banner double weighting system
Powerful reporting and real time statistics for both admin and clients
Easy to use Web-based Administration. See the Live Demo
Keyword support for integration with your search engine
Advanced anti-caching for extremely accurate impression counts
Campaign support will evenly distribute a set amount of impressions between start and stop dates
Schedule your ad banners by start and stop dates, days of week, and even hours of day
Groups and Regions allow you to group your banners together into different categories, web pages, or web sites
Supports alt text, target frame, mouseover, and mouseout parameters for banner images
Fast SQL database system currently compatible with only MySQL
Target your banners to host domains (country targeting), specific web browsers, and even different operating systems

IP tracking is supported for increased security and accurate click-through counts
No-repeat filter for showing multiple banners on the same page without showing the same banner twice
Auto-refreshing will display a different ad banner at the interval you choose for pages that your clients stay on for long periods, like chat and browser-based email pages. (Currently works only in browsers that support the <IFRAME> tag)
Default/Panic image for every region in case all of the banners in a region should expire or be disabled
Easily assign/unassign multiple banners to a region(s)
Database Maintenance wizard allows you to easily maintain your database even if you have little or no knowledge of databases and SQL! Try it out in the Live Demo
Affiliate Plugin - start your own Affiliate program with this plugin!
HyperSeek Plugin - for category and keyword targeting capability allows you to easily assign regions to your categories and display banners that match keywords from searches
Links 2.0/Links SQL - keyword targeting capability allows you to easily display banners that match keywords from searches
Standard version tested for over 7 million impressions per month*
FastCGI version tested for over 30 million impressions per month*

The URL is www.advertpro.com
Also it says it can only do 30 million impressions a month with the FastCGI version, I think we are all looking at well over 250 million a month, we could buy it and just run 4-5 at a time on 4-5 different servers, I am willing to donate one server, and I can give 250 gigs of bandwidth a month... Yikes... A lot but I am willing to do it.
Old 06-03-2001, 02:01 PM   #36
Guava

Unhappy

Sounds very promising for landing a DC deal. With that kind of backing this venture would be much more likely to succeed. Just look at companies like Banner-Mania who really don't do anything but resell DoubleClick and they seem to still be going alright, so if you took that concept and added the knowledge of some of these GeekVillage members then we might be seeing the making of a new player in the ad market.

------------------
Guava
Old 06-03-2001, 02:03 PM   #37
BlazeBox

Unhappy

Couldn't agree more outlaw. Also, don't forget there is just one group capable of fully understanding advertising with a publisher and advertiser focus. And those are not the yuppy salespersons big online ad agencies have, that's us ...
Old 06-03-2001, 02:09 PM   #38
BlazeBox

Unhappy

Outlaw,

We already own an AdvertPRO copy, btw - so no worries about that.
And the name is subject of later matter really - let's stick to adathon for now simply to not stir up things already http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Old 06-03-2001, 02:17 PM   #39
Outlaw

Cool

That's great that we already own a copy of Adverrt Pro... Uhh just make sure it is not warez... it wont look good if we become a big company and own a warez copy of Advert Pro... if ya know what I mean...

------------------
- AI Corp.
www.animeinstinct.com
www.animetopsites.com
www.dbzhost.com
Old 06-03-2001, 02:20 PM   #40
cybmike

Unhappy

Will you accept celeb sites http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mike
cybmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 02:29 PM   #41
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy

Outlaw --
Nah, we don't do warez. We own our stuff, legally.

cybmike --
I think we'll be accepting everything, as long as its QUALITY and you have a high volume of traffic. We'll soon have the requirements for becoming a member of the adathon group. (not a network, lets call it something different)

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Snooply.com - We Snoop. You Find.
KP of Snooply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 02:34 PM   #42
Sulla

Unhappy

Well I for one think it sounds great. Now I just need to get my views up so I can get in http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 02:52 PM   #43
Lil_Red

Unhappy

While everyone has been going on how great this idea is, who is going to talk to a lawyer, come up with a legally binding contract for everyone, etc. Nothing against Kamil but since you apparently will be receiving the money what guarantee is there that you will pay the publishers?

On another note, I sell 10 million impressions for $10,000, why should I share the impressions with the group? Doing this causes me to lose money. Where is the benefit to me?

Sorry the whole idea does not sound like it will be advantageous to any but the most desperate publishers. I wish you luck with it though.

------------------
Webmaster
http://server.com
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 03:01 PM   #44
Guava

Unhappy

I think the selling of ads should be done by the network (or "group" whatever). The only benefit to pointing your advertiser to the network is if they want to buy 10 million impressions for a webmaster site and you've only got 5 million... well then you're gonna point them to the network for the other 5 million. Other than something like that then I say the network should seek out and find the advertisers for you network/group.

------------------
Guava
Old 06-03-2001, 03:10 PM   #45
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy

Lil_Red --
Finally, someone that isn't praising the idea :P Oh, its Kaumil btw http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

A lawyer? I have a few contacts http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif If I do receive the money, it will be all recorded. Every publisher will see what is happening. Unlike other networks where we don't see how much impressions were bought, you will in this group. We aren't going to hide anything. I'd rather pay than ruin my reputation. I still have Snooply.com, FreewareWorld.com which are widely known.

If you sold 10 million impressions @ $1.00CPM, why would you let the whole network have piece of the pie? Because it gives other webmasters a chance and give them dollars to survive. Would you want to see the net with no good sites? How would you benefit from it? Simple. Others are out there looking for advertisers aswell, and when they do, someone may come across a 20 million impression deal @ 2.00 and you're benefiting from it that way. Plus we'd have more of a chance getting into DoubleClick with the high volume of branding and traffic and more of a chance to land better and bigger campaign deals.

Guava --
We might have to do it by the "group". Do it by sections of the world. We can always give the publisher who brings the campaign to the group of sites a percentage.

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Snooply.com - We Snoop. You Find.
KP of Snooply is offline   Reply With Quote