Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 10:41 PM   #61
Ex

Question

Hmm...it seems that gaining popularity seems to be of an agenda here regarding your site which if you're then you're very successful.

I don't believe a site will get 1 million page views within a week even before launching. You might have done it, but i think its near impossible. If you really successful manage to get 1 million page views within a week, I have a suggestion for you.

If I were you, I would rather write an e-book on how I manage to get 1 million page views in a week with details on advertising budget and etc information. Sell this e-book for $15.95 and introduce an affiliate program that earns people 30% of the sales. Even after the 30% and minus the whatever merchant charges and so...you'll still get around $6-8 per book profit.

And there are a lot of people out there who buy these, and if channeled through the correct marketer, your sale could go exponential!!!!. Why bother with advertising when you can sell your own product even for more profit????

------------------
Ex
Anime Genesis dot Com - Anime Entertainment Channel
Old 03-06-2001, 10:58 PM   #62
Ted S

Exclamation

Ben - a little reality check for you.

Pint #1- A law firm that gets $28 cpm is not a gaming site... bloomberg is not a gaming site. You are comparing a marker that (statistically) has young users with little money, limited access to credit cards and does not purchase anything based on ads except games. The companies you mentioned have upper/middle class incomes with mid-aged surfers and high click through.

That leaves you with about 1 category of target banners - games. Most gaming companies dont buy banners because they hardly need them, magazines and media along with a few tv/ store placed ads sell their games a few hundred million times over.

That leaves you with Run of the network banners for an untargeted, statistically low click/lower purchase sites. Mostly, sites that buy ron campaigns are banner driven themselves and are not paying more than a few dollar cpm (which after your ad network takes its portion amounts to under $2).

Point #2 - You may very well have received a million hits so far, I dont know and frankly I dont care. But doubleclick does... they will ask you for raw logs IF they look at you. Additionally, they do not care how many hits you INVISION getting, they only look at what you CURREBNTLY have. Like you said, double click has 4 (and perhaps more) high level gaming sites. But they already have problems filling those sites inventories so chances are they wont be taking any more, especially a site with only 3/4 million hits.

While the traffic you envision having is a good number of users, it is nothing insane./ The demographics aren't that good, the user base isnt impressive. But like you said, you plan to push and that means you may very well get alot. I dont foresee you making much money with normal banners BUT if you push as hard as you say, you can make it with sales, affiliate programs or perhaps some other method of revenue. I think your best bet it to be creative & inventive... dont do what's been done... do something new.

With that siad, good luck & goodnight, I'm too stick to stay up any longer...

Ted
Old 03-06-2001, 11:36 PM   #63
SSacobie

Unhappy

GameShark.com, GamePro.com, and eZone are the only gaming sites in Doubleclick.

The now defunct Gamers.com is not a member of Doubleclick. It simply licenses their DART technology. If you want to pay Doubleclick to license the technology, they'll have no problem letting you do so, but that's not the same thing as them selling your ads.

Bloomberg isn't getting $75CPM. They may request that, but they're lucky to be getting 1/3 that amount.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:00 AM   #64
Ben91
Member.

Unhappy

does putting 3 banners per page sound too much ...
1 banner from L90 , on top , 1 banner from ad-bla on bottom , and right beneath that, a banner from burstmedia under it.

the 2 banners on bottom would be pushed down , way down under the entire page, so they dont mess up the general look of the page

that would guarantee all 3 , different ads, and guarantee a minium of roughly 2$CPM rate

thats excluding 1 pop up which is 5$CPM rate on exit..
that sounds "acceptable to me"
Old 03-07-2001, 12:08 AM   #65
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Most ad agencies have placement regulations within their terms and conditions that prohibit sites from using their banners on the same page as those from completing networks, or in a below-the-scroll position.

In the case of Burst!, they only allow a below-the-scroll Burst! banner when their rich-media code is used above-the-scroll. This means that the setup that you propose would be in breach of their terms.

I imagine that L90 would also be opposed to the idea of having two competing banners on the same page.

And who are Ad-Bla? Do you mean Bla-Bla?

For a bottom banner, I would recommend you sell your own (eBay, OneMediaPlace), or go with something along the lines of iClick, CJ or Websponsors. Even in this case, you may have to check with the ad network who is providing your top banner in order to ensure that you are complying with their terms.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Old 03-07-2001, 12:20 AM   #66
Ben91
Member.

Unhappy

advertising.com said they would offer us an effective 70cents cpm rate, they said they dont change their rates.

meaning this is a steady 70 cents rate.

3 banners of advertising.com / page
if we get 3 diff ads thast good
2$+CPm rate

however, i want to know one thing about when u pick a small banner like 160X20 or somethin , do u still get 70cents cpm rate on small button banners?

rather than the large ones 460X120 or whatever it is?
Old 03-07-2001, 12:35 AM   #67
jkcity

Unhappy

Its optimistic of you to get 70 cents a cpm from advertsing.com.
Old 03-07-2001, 01:18 AM   #68
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Ben, Advertising.com are quite good and may be able to provide close to that rate, but it is not guaranteed. The majority of their sales are still done on a CPC basis, but they do offer some large CPM campaigns in addition to this.

Their smaller sizes, though, won't make you nearly as much as the full-sized banners. I was running their 120x60 buttons for months, and rarely made anything over $0.15CPM on average.

Burst! can offer you similar rates to Advertising.com, but only supports 2 banners/page and rarely provides campaigns for the below-the-scroll banners.

You should also apply to Engage Consumer Media. Engage continues to pay some of the best rates in the CPM industry, while allowing you to send your defaults to Burst, Advertising.com or another ad network.

------------------
Czar
iOnline Network
Old 03-07-2001, 08:23 AM   #69
Ben91
Member.

Unhappy

Engage media isn't taking in any new publishers this year, they might re-open next year they said.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:29 AM   #70
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Wow! I knew things were tough over at Engage, but making a decision in March not to accept new publishers until next year is a dramatic sign of their outlook.

I'm pleased, though, that they made the decision to close off their ranks to aim for medium-term growth, rather than terminating members en masse for short-term relief.

------------------
Czar
iOnline Network
Old 03-07-2001, 10:37 AM   #71
Ben91
Member.

Unhappy

engage will file for bankruptcy very soon. They are going down in flames. i suggest everyone starts looking for another ad agency
Old 03-07-2001, 11:04 AM   #72
Czar

Webmaster

Exclamation

Admittedly, Engage is in really bad shape now, and may shut down if their plans for the next few quarters don't pan out - but this isn't going to happen soon (in Internet time).

Engage still has enough cash on hand to keep them alive for another quarter or two, in which time they hope to become profitable. If they fail to do so, though, CMGI is expected to inject a final $50 million round into the firm to support it if profitability is reachable.

You may read more about this topic, here:
http://gethighforums.com/Forum10/HTML/001100.html

Of greater concern should be 24/7 Media. They indicated that they are clearly in trouble last week when they announced that they would be delaying the release of their earnings report while they attempt to negotiate a deal to improve their cash position. In addition, the firm recently announced that they are actively seeking a buyer from the traditional ad world to bail them out of their financial misery:
http://www.webmaster-forums.com/show...threadid=13579

------------------
Czar
iOnline Network
Old 03-07-2001, 11:15 AM   #73
Johan Malmberg

Smile

It has really been iteresting reading this thread. I opened my page www.liscreensavers.com a week ago and recieve 30000-40000 pageviews/day. But I donīt think I can make any big money with banner advertising. I am considering joining affiliate programs. Ben, I hope you manage to reach your $2-$3 CPM.

------------------

Johan Malmberg
http://www.liscreensavers.com
http://www.liutilities.com
Old 03-07-2001, 11:23 AM   #74
Ben91
Member.

Unhappy

what affiliate program
whats the best way to make cash without banner cpm rates and pops ups and emails and clicks offcourse since no one makes **** with clicks
Old 03-07-2001, 11:41 AM   #75
cyrex
Member.

Unhappy

I have one questions: How do you manage to get so many people to come to your site? I would imagine you are not a major site with a good ad budget but rather a hard working webmaster with low or no ad budget.

Also another question for all for you is: How many impressions do you all think high quality shopping site needs in order to get in to doubleclick, and how much per cpm can a shopping portal expect to get?

Quote:
Originally posted by Johan Malmberg:
It has really been iteresting reading this thread. I opened my page www.liscreensavers.com a week ago and recieve 30000-40000 pageviews/day. But I donīt think I can make any big money with banner advertising. I am considering joining affiliate programs. Ben, I hope you manage to reach your $2-$3 CPM.

Closed Thread