Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Domain Names
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
anakha6
Member.

Default Choosing your domain name

Some advice on choosing your domain name:

Pick a Domain Name that Reflects Your Web Site

Above all else, your domain name should reflect what your web site is all about. If you have a company name that isnít particularly well known itís probably a bad idea to use that name as your domain name.

Pick a Domain Name that Contains Your Web Site's Keywords

Another consideration of great importance are your keywords. Try to pick a domain name that contains your most relevant keyword phrase because some Search Engines place relevancy on them.

Pick the Best Domain Extension

Another consideration of importance is the domain name extension. Although there are many new domain extensions available, dotcom is still the best choice. When typing in a web address, Internet users automatically want to type in a .com extension, since this is the extension that has been embedded into our brains from the start.

Pick a Domain Name that will be Easily Remembered

With millions of web sites accessible on the Internet, it is also very important to pick a domain name that will be easily remembered.

Donít use Dashes and Underscores in Your Domain Name

Although many people do it, don't make the same mistake I made when I first started out. Donít use dashes, underscores or any other characters within your domain name that may cause confusion. This may lead people to go to the site with the same address as yours but no dash. This means not only will you lose traffic, if the site is similar you are transferring it to your competitors.

Donít use Abbreviations within Your Domain Name

Although well-known companies, such as IBM, can get away with using abbreviations within their domain name, most companies can't. As a rule, try to donít use abbreviations or anything that will be difficult for your visitors to remember. Not only will this cause confusion, but it can also cause your potential visitors to make spelling mistakes when trying to type in your web address.

Donít use Numbers in Your Domain Name

Although you may be tempted to do so, donít use numbers within your domain name. Including a number within your domain name can cause problems. When you tell someone your web address, you will continually have to tell them it's a number and not the word, otherwise people may go to the site which has typed the number rather than put the number itself, loosing you traffic.

Donít use Long Domain Names

Itís not a good idea as people wonít remember it.
anakha6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
kellogg9
Member.

Great advice..one thing i want to say...keywords in your domain seem to only work for Yahoo/Microsoft search engines more than it does Google...Google seems to give more precedence to other things...for example search for computer and dell is tops.
kellogg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
lunaticfrog

Smile

great idea and thanks for sharing !
and one thing I want to mention is the age of domain name.
Many has been argued that the age of a domain has little or no impact of getting PR. Well, to some degree it is true to say so. Age of the domain names is not going to help boost you PR but your TrustRank and helping them getting out of the claimed Sand Box. Especially if the site has stable content (do not means same content, but mean related content) all this years. As mentioned, it is possible finding low or zero PR sites which are several years old but the main point nowadays is having top rankings instead of that green bar anyway. If Google fights spammy sites, age can be a thing to keep in mind.
lunaticfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
geekstory

thanks, nice info , keep on sharing
geekstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Avoid double constanants if possible. It confuses the eye (IE. lesssunshine.com ... freeeels.com).
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Will

Choosing a domain name is where all the challenges start
Nice share.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
winsonong

I always target my primary keyword in my domain name. That helps on SEO. !
My opinion avoid to use "-" in your domain name.
winsonong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
danviettravel

Thanks for your post!
It is really useful!
I have just bought 2 domains with "-"! What a pity!
danviettravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
HoustonFurniture
Member.

<a href="http://www.danishinspirations.com/modern-contemporary-furniture-store-dallas">Modern Furniture Dallas</a>
HoustonFurniture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
Umbrella

I think number in domain name is ok as long the content is unique you can see this case at suite101, they 101 make their site name stronger as "website that give solution,now what say you
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #11
taxi-cab

I use keywords for my domains this give rise to the site in the serps and I build backlinks using various anchor text around the keyword rich domain name - it works for me on 5 sites.
taxi-cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
jack dotson

Yes, really spend some time thinking about your long term goals for the domain you want. I made the mistake of just getting an idea and going and getting a domain with that idea as the domain name. Well, it was super targeted, but now I am faced with the challenge of making my subdomains transition from one super targeted niche to some more vague niches. I should probably get a new domain name with more opportunity and then super target my subs. This works well for my other sites.
jack dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
audierules

Smile

One can try choosing a domain name extension. The most common of these is a .com but .net,. org, .info or .tv are also helpful if you are targeting at some particular niche.

Note that a.com is usually the most expensive to purchase being around the $10 per year mark. It all depends on your objective of having the domain.
audierules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
breadnbutter

If you are an in-person business/company: use a domain that you can SAY easy.

If you are an online business/company that requires people to type the domain a lot: use a domain that you can TYPE easy.

If you are an internet marketer who relies on google searches only: use a domain that has SPECIFIC KEYWORDS. Easy!
breadnbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #15
zhaoyan

good advice, and i have chosen my domain name just in that way.
zhaoyan is offline   Reply With Quote