Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
thegauntlet

Default Building a mailinglist

I have a mailinglist that I started last June. I have about 50,000 users that have double opt'd in. I collect basic info like zipcode, email, name, country. I have done several marketing campaigns to my users who allow it, but i'd really like to drill down to the markets. Since I run a heavy metal site, my goal has always been to target the emails to the areas where concerts are. The problem is, I goto segment out Los Angeles and end up with 1200 users, and less than 300 have opt'd in to receiving 3rd party emails. What are some ideas to boost users in certain markets and what is a good way to get them to signup for the 3rd party marketing that I send out.

Some things I have done and still do are contests that work well, but I get entries so spread out acrossed the US it doesn't work. I just gave away my PS3 in hopes of getting 10,000 good emails, and ended up with just under 100 for los angeles. I have no problem with spending $ as I do have a lot riding on this, but I have already sunk over $3000 trying to boost my list in NY and LA with dismal results. I will not buy lists or anything though as they are garbage. I want people who are involved in the heavy metal world, I also want to be 100% legit with this.

Last edited by thegauntlet; 02-21-2007 at 07:40 PM.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
Del

Sounds like you need to add an easy-to-find-page (one click away from any other page on your site?) and index of lists of a bunch of bands' conserts.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
thegauntlet

My mailinglist is easy to find and signup for. My concern is getting a larger list in certain key markets like Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, etc
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Suresh

Hi there gauntlet,

Have you tried asking those people who've already signed up to refer new buyers? In other words, put them to work for you. To me it seems that those on your opt-in list are highly likely to know other people who're also interested in heavy metal. They might already be talking to others about your site, but human beings are naturally lazy :-). Give them an incentive and they'll go to work for you! So as an example, if someone on your list refers 10 buyers they get a free ticket - or two, or 50% discount or whatever makes you a healthy profit for your time and effort. You could ratchet up the benefits depending on how many people someone refers to you, you could also do this per concert, try out different promotions and see which ones get you the most attention.

I'd also post ads in heavy metal mags, clubs and fan sites/forums. Make sure you emphasize that in order to get the benefits, they have to be on your opt-in list and agree to get email from you. This might also bring in new additions to your list.

What do YOU think?
Cheers & good luck, man
Suresh
Suresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
propellor_head

I have a little knowledge to share with you. Overall , opt-in web pages are the most widley used list building strategies, offline sign-up yields the next biggest percentage of responses.What you can do is refine your current list even more by sending your clinets an email wiht various target segmenst on it and follow their click paths and segment those click paths into another DB that will further refine your data.
propellor_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
YoMaMmA
Member.

That sounds interesting
YoMaMmA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
WebGeek2point0

Default Think outside your mailing list.

If you have a Myspace, add a join this group or opt in button on your profile? Myspace is built for musicians, so it might help. Plus you can target your audience by only adding friends from LA or NY and then creating a repoir and message them individually or by posting Bulletins E.g. "Hey LA People!" etc. You see it all the time on there, and it works.

I'm not really sure what your connection with heavy metal is, but if you have artists that work for you, ie. you're a manager or record label owner. You could take four of your artists songs and create an 'artist page'. This way you can add your genre and get more targeted people finding you.

Market segmentation's a hard one to cover on the internet because a lot of people lie, and just fill in the red-dotted asterisks, but don't want their information known.

I do like your approach to not buying lists. I agree they are garbage.
WebGeek2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote