Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Domain Names
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
Alex|Canep Media
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default Which domain is better?

My partner adn I have spent many hours thinking hard about a name to use with an ad network we will be launching in the coming months. We narrowed it down to two domains:

MediaAdsDirect.com and Canep.com

Media Ads Direct holds meaning in the name whereas Canep holds originality.

When looking at other ad networks there are some that use both methods. FastClick/ValueClick use meaning, whereas ViziMedia and Casale use originality.

We would like your opinions, which name sounds more professional? Which name is easier to remember? Which name stands out more?
Alex|Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
billgulch

Of those two, my opinion would be go with Canep. If you were sitting on a decent 2-word .com, I may lean that way, but 3 words can get jumbled or lost when passing along via word of mouth. I could see people calling it DirectMediaAds, or MediaAds, etc.

Good luck!
billgulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Larwee

GeekGuide

I agree with billgulch. Of those two, I would select Canep. It could be easier to remember and not present as much potential confusion.

Some of the issues billgulch raised are covered in a little more detail in the article linked in this thread http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31398
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
skodie

Canep is good but at the same time google likes to have keywords in the domain name... you have to have pretty good SEO to overcome that
skodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Alex|Canep Media

Thanks guys, unanimous suggestions always make choosing a lot easier. We have endeed decided to go with Canep Media as our company name.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
Jan

Administrator

Just curious, why did you come up with canep as a choice? Does it have some special meaning to you?
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:24 AM   #7
Alex|Canep Media

To tell you the truth after a long time of thinking up a brandable name that was catchy and easy to remember Jay and I gave up. I found a random letter generator and started running them through a domain database, untill I narrowed it down to a few that were pronouncable, short, and catchy.

We decided on Canep because it fit all of the criteria, and the .com was available .

We got canep.com and canepmedia.com. We arent worried too much about SEO at this time, we are focusing more on the actual development of the ad server and getting a smooth BETA test launched. Somewhere down the line we will definately invest in SEO but I don't believe that SEO is as big of a factor in advertising for high tech insutries as it is for low tech industries. For example if your looking to purchase envelopes your probably going to go to google and find a company that can sell you envelopes and that will be the end of it. If your looking to join an ad network, your will scout forums for reviews, and go to directories for their reviews, you woudlent just signup based on finding the website. Granted it is still important to get good traffic from search engines but in high tech industries where the target audience is internet savvy "geeks" search engines don't play as big of a role.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

This is a bit off-topic, but Casale isn't just a random, creative word. Casale Media was named after the network's founder (and long-time Geek/Talk member), Andrew Casale.

Best of luck with Canep. I'm a strong believer that effective customer service, strong sales performance and innovative feature sets are more important than a memorable name. If you hit those three on the head, the brand will gain traction. If not, the network will flounder - regardless of whether or not it has a cool and quirky name.

After all, what's in a name?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #9
Alex|Canep Media

Thanks Czar I didn't know that, and I completely agree with you. As long as the service and support are good our name wont be an issue. Theres loads of huge companies with bad names and nobody seems to mind as long as they do what they do well.