Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
steven_v
Member.

Arrow Am I ****med?

I bough some popunder traffic on ebay from a person.He said the traffic delivered won't take my site's bandwidth,they save a copy of my site,use cache.I checked my stat total served 3600 impressions,but my counter only count about 60 hits per day.I think maybe I was ****med
steven_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
MikematJordan

Exclamation Probably

You have to be careful purchasing that type of traffic.
1. you bought it on ebay
2. you have no true way of finding out if the impressions were served.
3.The impressions could have been served on some completely irrelevant site that doesnt not attract many visitors.
If you have a programming site and the impressions were served on "Uncle Joes Wrestling Homepage" you probably would not get many hits anyway.

My opinion is he might have served the impressions but they did not result in anything. Next time you should contact a marketing company that can highly target the speed and placement of the pops. You also might want to try marketing to a small amount of opt-in email records.
MikematJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Jay | Canep Media

No offense, but buying traffic off ebay seems like a very stupid thing to do.
If I`m looking for buying traffic, I`d go to a company that has a good reputation, and get my traffic from them. I`d never even consider buying traffic off ebay. How can you even be sure those impressions were served? Faking them without any complicated tracking software (for the impressions) isn`t hard at all..
Jay | Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
fusionhosting

there's software programs specificly made to fake and deliver traffic like that using proxy servers, false headers, and more... I would never buy traffic like that.

I'd chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on.
fusionhosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
dognose

this post got me wondering.. does anybody here sell there extra banner inventory on eBay? Are there any real sites doing that?
dognose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
MikematJordan

No real marketing company or website would sell left over inventory on ebay. Any company who has left over inventory would most likely run some type of cpa program. To give you an example of garbage on ebay look at this link. http://cgi.ebay.com/425-Million-Emai...QQcmdZViewItem . 425 million email adresses for $5.00. There most likely not permission based or valid.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
MikematJordan

sorry that link doesnt work....but im sure you guys get the point
Old 09-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
Rivux
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Quote:
Originally posted by MikematJordan
No real marketing company or website would sell left over inventory on ebay.
That is an inaccurate statement, well unless I don't run a real company, which is always a possibility I guess. But Ive had success both selling and buying ad space on ebay on both conventional websites and banner exchanges(e-bannerx in particular).

Yes there are some frauds out there and its important to do your homework and make sure that the traffic is legit but to discount the entire ad inventory on ebay as a **** is a bit much. Though if you want to keep preaching that I don't have a problem with it because it just means more opportunities for me, the fewer people bidding the better it is.
Rivux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #9
MikematJordan

Sorry If I have offended but I buy advertising space for a living and would never purchase any advertising space off of ebay.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
thegauntlet

a lot of them **** you from the wording and tell you they send hits which aren't real people. They claim the hits they send helps increase your alexa/google rank. I highly doubt it and would avoid.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #11
steven_v
Member.

He said the hits are send through their publisher sites with full page popunder.They use cache which save a copy of my site and then display to the people.It won't take my site's bandwidths.Is there really such an technolygy?
steven_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:43 AM   #12
Jay | Canep Media

Unhappy

Sorry man, but just face it, you got ****med.

About the program that deliberately delivers fake traffic, one very good one is called the iFaker...
Their site hasn`t been working for a while now but I think there was a place where you could actually order it to put it on your site..

I won`t say anymore though because I don`t know how legal / illegal it is.

Best thing is just get them from a legit company, here are some:
www.Submitpro.us
www.BuyHits.net
www.Blazingtraffic.com
www.BuyHitsCheap.com
www.webtrafficzone.net
www.advertyz.com
And, my favorite (worst / lowest paying for publishers but cheapest and best for advertisers) www.Paypopup.com

Hope I could help you out!
Don`t worry bout the 3,600 hits, for pop unders thats not much at all..
I`d still give him a negative rating on ebay and ask for your money back though.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:24 PM   #13
Adpepper

I think there are a bunch more reputable companies than the list just presented. Though I've only heard of a couple of them I can say that anytime you go to a website and they have a quote "10,000 visitors for only $12.99", its a safe bet to stay away. I'm sure some are reputable and can get good traffic, however, in my media buying experience (3 years) they are not.

Paypopup.com I have done business with and I can say that they are indeed a real and reputable company and own their own traffic. If you really want traffic on a tier 1 site like ebay always go to the big agencies/networks like....Advertising.com/24/7 Real Media / etc.

Did you prepay?
Adpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #14
Adpepper

forgot to mention....I've never heard of ebay selling pop traffic.
Adpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:48 PM   #15
Jay | Canep Media

Arrow Woah!

I think we got off on the wrong foot here, I was just noting down some of the sites I`ve had bookmarked which I know as a matter of fact are legit, because I`ve done business with them myself.

Obviously I know there are many, many, many more than just those.

*update* Currently
0.8655 CPM with AIMclicks, 15,500+ impressions today,
$0.43 total with paypopup, 2,300 impressions today.

I actually find it quite amusing, that paypopup is my main ads, and that default are set the aimclicks. At least they updated my account again today!