Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Domain Names
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2002, 10:02 PM   #1
1lit

Question Problems transferring domain names away from GoDaddy?

I've been doing quite a bit of research on GoDaddy and virtually every webmaster forum has a couple of postings about people who've had major difficulties in transferring their domain names away from this register. People have complained about GoDaddy putting obstacles in their way, not answering emails or picking up the phone etc. (I just tried ringing them and put the phone down after waiting in their queing system for 20 minutes.)

I'm not sure if these problems are common or not - as GoDaddy seem to be one of the most popular registrars in this forum.

Has anybody tried to transfer a domain name AWAY from GoDaddy? What has your experience been?

It's becoming a real hassle keeping a tab on all my domain names and renewing them every couple of years. Therefore I'm tempted to use GoDaddy's low rate to renew some of my domain names for ten years - only $6.95 a year.

If I have hassles with GoDaddy in that period, do you think I should have no problems transferring to another registrar?

Do GoDaddy still charge for transfers away from them?

Been using Namecheap.com by now, with no problems, but I'd like to spread my risk by using another registrar as well (incidentally what would happen to our domain names in the unlikely case that a registrar like Namecheap or GoDaddy went bust?)

Quite a few questions there! Thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to offer
1lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 10:47 PM   #2
sdarken

I don't use GoDaddy so I can't really comment on that except to say that I read about people having problems some time ago (they also had a transfer fee) but I haven't heard so many complaints recently so things must have improved.

I use 000domains.com which is part of the OpenSRS group which (I am led to believe) means that if 000domains ever went out of business I could use one of the other companies in the OpenSRS program to maintain my domain. For some reason, the fact that they are not the cheapest ($13.50/yr) gives me reason to believe that they will be around for a long time.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 11:02 PM   #3
Jan

Administrator

Send a PM to member thewitt of www.myostrich.net he is very helpful in matters such as this. I am speaking from experience here, as he was very patient when I wanted to transfer a domain and had absolutely no idea where to start.

I was so impressed with his patience that I ended up transferring the domain to myostrich

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 12:07 AM   #4
Scuba

I am using them.
I never had to transfer a domain away from them, but every time I contacted tech support they answerd in one buisness day and never gave me problmes. (NetSol did).
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:37 AM   #5
OC

GoDaddy recently implemented a paperless ownership transfer procedure and eliminated the fee.

Still, I'd recommend any OpenSRS (000domains.com, weblaunching.net) or eNom reseller.
OC is offline   Reply With Quote