Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 08:57 PM   #61
JJJay

I'm also a member of fineclicks.com and I got the email, is there anybody who is not a member of fineclicks.com out there who received this email.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:58 PM   #62
cool
Member.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Don't you have anything better to do than sit at home and investigate who sent you an e-mail by checking whois records, e-mail records, affiliate records, software design records, etc.? Jeez, a company wanted publishers so they sent out a mass e-mail to publishers. Big F'N deal! I wish I got these e-mails more!
Old 11-19-2001, 09:20 PM   #63
Chet

Cool:

I don't know who you think you are but it IS a big deal. Yes, a company wanted publishers..but getting it by leaching off the work of other is not right and I am just making sure that my affiliates privacy is protected as I promised them...which I am now 100% positive it is now.

There is no way any merchant can get all affiliates email addresses and mass email them. All of you that are members of FineClicks and got that email was just a coincidence. I got it too and I am a member of a few other networks...doesn't mean they are the ones that have the guilty merchant.

I mean hey, I get spammed many times per day. Doesn't mean an ad network that I use has merchants that are doing it though.

Last edited by Chet; 11-19-2001 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:21 PM   #64
clay
Member.

not sure if it helps, but I didn't get the email, and i'm not a member of fineclicks. If i get the email i will be sure to let you know. If i get it, then the source would have to be somewhere other than FC.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:40 PM   #65
Chet

Quote:
Originally posted by clay
not sure if it helps, but I didn't get the email, and i'm not a member of fineclicks. If i get the email i will be sure to let you know. If i get it, then the source would have to be somewhere other than FC.
No, that doesn't help...
You are saying just because if you don't get it that means the source is coming from FineClicks? Incorrect...

Last edited by Chet; 11-19-2001 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:51 PM   #66
Jan

Administrator

There are at least two posts of people who received who are NOT with fineclicks. Xargon is one, Jack another.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:22 PM   #67
thefanzone

I am not with fineclicks, and I did get the email today. I got it on an email account that I don't use anymore, though. It is not the one that I signed up here with either...
Old 11-19-2001, 10:59 PM   #68
clay
Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chet

No, that doesn't help...
You are saying just because if you don't get it that means the source is coming from FineClicks? Incorrect...

No, that's not what i meant or said. If i do get it, then it would be a FACT they didn't get my email from FineClicks. If I don't get it, it doesn't mean the source is coming from FineClicks. I never meant for it to sound that way, and i'm sorry if it did. I was mainly posting for statistical reasons.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:29 PM   #69
WildComputer

Default Enough

Moderator Comment:

Enough!

I have just reviewed this entire topic. This thread is getting out of hand

1. To reiterate a comment by Czar, the spam or spamlist did NOT originate from, nor is associated in anyway with, geekvillage.

2. The spam is clearly did NOT orginate from, nor is associated in anyway with FineClicks. We already have members who received the spam who have never been a member of FineClicks.

Please no more unfounded or unwarranted allegations against either of the above or anybody else. This thread will only continue, if it stays on the topic of the forum -- making money on the Internet and any relevance of this company to that specific topic.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation

Personal, General, Comment

It's up to you to decide on any company that you come across, but many people don't consider it wise to do business with spammers.

If you have a spam problem with any company, I suggest you report them: http://www.spamcop.net/

Last edited by WildComputer; 11-19-2001 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:19 AM   #70
Ariakas

Yes people, spam does exist on the internet. Get used to it...
Old 11-20-2001, 12:33 AM   #71
Supermoo

Just thought I'd add that I got it a while ago aswell. Didn't think much of it, but anyway... I'm a member of hundreds of Affiliate Programs (including SI, FineClicks, OverSee etc.) and the email I received did have the same address as what I use for all those programs, and on all my websites.

<rant>

Without wishing to dispute WildComputer's knoledge or ability in any way, all the moderators do I great job here, I just find it a little harsh that you can dismiss both BlazeBox's and Drastic's claims.

All computer systems can have holes, The sooner the right people find them, the sooner they can be fixed.

</rant>

Okay, I'm done now.... hope I don't offend anyone that's not my intention. I just want to fix this problem like any other Geek would.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:58 AM   #72
LastActionHero

Quote:
Originally posted by Chet

LastActionHero:
Still have the info for your stats that showed you that someone was accessing your site through FineClicks? I would like to see that if you can get me that info (you can email it to me if you want). The referring url and other info should help out alot...but then again, all merchants can review websites that applied to their offer from their login area.
Unfortunately I don't have the logs, my host rotates logs on a daily basis. I remembered that someone accessed my site using a fineclicks referral when I saw this thread.

Maybe all of this is just a big coincidence. Have people on any other forums got this spam mail?
Old 11-20-2001, 01:10 AM   #73
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by LastActionHero

Maybe all of this is just a big coincidence. Have people on any other forums got this spam mail?
They have, yes, and it's becoming increasingly clear those behind this have scalped info from a variety of sources - with the most common being publicly-available information on the sites in question. One poster on another forum noted that the sender referred to a specific poem on the publisher's site when making the cut-n-pasted pitch.

It's quite likely that an AdBonus rep has visited Geek/Talk and jumped to each site listed in our sigs, which explains the high hit ratio in this community. He's also obviously surfed to other properties through links present on those sites or on a search directory or two (one of the sites through which I was approached has never been listed here or in the membership ranks of any popular affiliate programs).

This from GetHigh:
http://gethighforums.com/Forum10/HTML/001530.html

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV

Last edited by Czar; 11-20-2001 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:15 AM   #74
Supermoo

Hmmm... that gets me thinking down the 'web spyder' track... would a spammer bother going deep into people's websites to find their emails?!?!
Old 11-20-2001, 01:27 AM   #75
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Supermoo
Hmmm... that gets me thinking down the 'web spyder' track... would a spammer bother going deep into people's websites to find their emails?!?!
That was my initial thought, and it's still highly likely that that was the source of th first few rounds of contact.

I'd like to think that the person responsible then noted the negative response that he'd generated here, and revised his contact process (which explains why later receipts of this email - such as the few noted on GetHigh) appear to be more personal and provide evidence that the human sender has actually visited the site in question before making the pitch.

It would still be a bad idea associating oneself with a company that has little understanding of which business practices are considered ethical online, and which are widely frowned upon, but the change in his/her methodology seems to be a positive sign.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Closed Thread