Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money from Online Audio, Video and Web 2.0 Applications
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #1
fire

Default So what if I want to create a Youtube.com?

Hi there,

well, I am brand new to this site, but I am a member of many...
I have a question for all you pollished veterans of the web...

What kind of costs are involved in making a Video-on-demand website?

Basically I want to give my users the ability to upload videos to a gallery on my website, and have others view and download these videos concurrently... sorta like youtube.

Now, I am not aiming at such a large audience of users like youtube does, I am aiming at a very particular niche - the dance community.

However I have no idea about the costs of providing such a service.

I already have a website up, but video is what I want to unleash.

If you have any knowledge of what typical bandwidth would cost, hosting suggestions, etc for this sort of setup, please let me know

I havent estimated how many users would be actively vieiwing / uploading video - but lets say, for examples sake - that each user would have an average of possibly 10 videos each uploaded, and guests visiting my website may be viewing an average of 10 videos each visit.

Does anyone know how much a service like this would costs?
How and where could I host such a beast?
Would I need my own dedicated server?
DO you have experience in developing or working on a project like this?

Anyhelp / suggestions / links would be HUGELY appreciated

Thanks alot

Cheers

Fire
fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:39 AM   #2
Jan

Administrator

Just a suggestion, why not grab one of those super cheap shared hosts that offer a terrabyte of bandwidth for $7.99 a month, as a test to gauge the possible bandwidth requirements for a week or two. At that price, it isn't much to lose if they look like closing you down, but you will have a fair idea if you need a VPS or dedicated server after a few days. Even if you don't need that much bandwidth after testing, then go for a more realistic host that actually give what they promise. The super cheap ones don't
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 AM   #3
fire

Default hmmm

hmm, interesting idea..

just wondering though, how many concurrent users they allow...also - im pretty sure Ill need flash com server...

any suggestions to one of these terebyte hosts?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:31 AM   #4
Jan

Administrator

Just a few cheapos I can think of off the top of my head are dreamhost.com, globat.com, imhosted.com

Even good old godaddy is hooked on overselling, they should have stuck to domains only

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosti...?se=%2B&ci=260

Disclaimer, I in no way recommend these hosts, and would advise anyone considering them for a "permanent" solution, to not use them at all. This was just a suggestion for the OP to test his/her possible bandwidth usage without outlaying the cost of a dedicated server if not needed.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
Eriky
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Be careful with that. I'm a webhost myself and don't oversell. But I would definately send an invoice if someone goes far beyond "fair use". I don't know how these hosts operate, but keep it in mind.
Eriky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:32 AM   #6
xbtpub

Lack of great ideas!!!
xbtpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:45 AM   #7
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbtpub
Lack of great ideas!!!
So present one...

Fire, while you'll definitely need a dedicated server or two to properly sustain a service of this type even more a niche audience (we recently launched one for the surfing video market and it quickly grew to strain a large VPS account, with only a moderate audience), Jan's suggestion is worth a try while you're just dipping your toes in the water.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to put Site5 and MediaTemple to the test, too. Both used to be quality leaders in the web hosting market, but both then dove into the overselling trend in a big way, which has yielded mixed results.

MediaTemple is still thought to be one of the better hosts out there, although their grid server experiment has attracted its fair share of criticism. They now offer massive transfer and gigantic storage on very cheap shared hosting accounts. It would be worth checking their terms in detail, as suggested by Eriky, but if these companies continue to offer terabytes of transfer for a couple of dollars, they have to realise that sometimes - just sometimes - customers will actually take them up on the offer.

Once you've chosen your hosting provider, you'll have to think about what software solution you will use to manage the site (unless you're a developer yourself). The acclaimed Joomla content management system supports a powerful video management plugin (AllVideos Plugin) at the moment, which might be a good spot to start:
http://extensions.joomla.org/compone...812/Itemid,35/

Best of luck carving that niche of yours...

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #8
fire

awesome! Thanks for your help guyz, i have since been a little diverted onto a new project - these days Ive been working in SecondLife.com a cool metaverse I am sure youve heard of...

they actually have the capability to stream quicktime into their servers... and thus into the game... do you know of any cheap quick time streaming servers too?

cheers - and THANKS again for your input!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
akis

Default New YouTube is already done. Checkit

Hi,

As I see Youtube combatible is already done for many categories at http://www.youtubemovies.net with possibility to embed, copy url, playlists, etc..
They have also possibilit to host streaming media on their server.
Check it
akis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #10
n1a2n3r4

Any recommendations for software to run the thing?

I see Czar's recommendation, but suspect that is open source. I have considered phpmotion, clip-share, plumi but my understanding is they all, and so I suspect the joomla one too, use something called ffmpeg which has software patent issues in some countries. I am in Canada and suspect I may therefore have these issues.

I am willing to pay a relatively small amount for software that has correctly licensed whatever is required to make sure these issues don't stop me in my tracks somewhere down the line.

Last edited by n1a2n3r4; 06-11-2008 at 12:14 AM.
n1a2n3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #11
Czar

Webmaster

Out of interest, why don't you want to use an open source solution? A few more options have popped up in the years since I made the post above, but many are partially or completely open source.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 06-11-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
n1a2n3r4

Open source is fine with me as long as I can use it for commercial purposes. My research for video upload, conversion and playback solutions keeps turning up ones that either use ffmpeg or I suspect use ffmpeg. I am hesitant to use them due to comments I have seen around the internet similar to these: http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/legal.html
Somewhere I read that most open source solutions have similar issues. I have noted at least one non-open source solution that also uses ffmpeg.

I just don't want to build a plan around using one, without knowing how many licensing claims are likely to arise and for how much money.

So, my preference would be something for which the developers have already acquired the relevant licenses. I pay them, they pay the potential litigators, everybody happy.

Last edited by n1a2n3r4; 06-11-2008 at 05:31 AM.
n1a2n3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Czar

Webmaster

Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation and the heads-up about ffmpeg.

We use the Rayzz script on one of our sites - http://www.rayzz.net/. I think they still use ffmpeg, but given that it's one of the more expensive and popular solutions on the market, hopefully they've covered any appropriate license fees.

That said, I'm not sure that they have so it would be worth asking the question.

Kind regards,

Old 12-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #14
rachit14nov

dearthat wud be too much hardwork to gather the whole database. and there are already so many sources of videos like youtube.
rachit14nov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #15
prizzey

Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I just don't want to build a plan around using one, without knowing how many licensing claims are likely to arise and for how much money.
prizzey is offline   Reply With Quote