Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Domain Names
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
ApplePro

Default Most secure domain registrar?

What registrar is most secure? I have one of my domains stolen and I want to protect other domain as soon as possible. Thanks for any advices.
ApplePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
Larwee

GeekGuide

I would suggest GoDaddy http://www.godaddy.com But there are many that are secure.

Last edited by Larwee; 09-27-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
ApplePro

I was with them (it's reseller of WorldTarget as I understand) and domain was stolen... I'd like to pay for more secure. Is there any really secure registrars (maybe with additional secure services)?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
Larwee

GeekGuide

GoDaddy is NOT a reseller, unless I misunderstood what you said. There are however some resellers who use GoDaddy.

All domains are automatically locked with GoDaddy. There are some others who also have this policy.

Here are some previous links on locking domains that could be of interest to you.

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=25908

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=26557
Old 09-27-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Very few registrars will guard against the problem that you encountered. Even if you were with GoDaddy, and an intruder had access to your email account (as you suggested in another thread), he would have access to your customer number and email address. He would then simple have to process a lost password request to access your account, after which time the domain could be unlocked with the click of a button and transferred away almost immediately.

What I'm suggesting here is that the weak link in your unfortunate situation did not reside with the registrar, but with your local PC and with the machine you had hosted with EV1Servers. If you lock these down through the use of effective firewalls and regular virus/intrusion scanning, your previous situation should not be repeated.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Larwee

GeekGuide

ApplePro, as it is in so many cases, Czar is right.

I read every post that is made at Geek/Talk, just as Czar does and the details of your previous problems weren't fresh in my mind since I didn't participate in it as Czar did and I only remembered portions of it. I was thinking of the question you asked to start this thread rather than your previous problem.

After taking a close look at it, I agree with Czar it has nothing to do with your registrar.

Just to clear up things on the registrar you mentioned, it is owned by a man in Beverly Hills, California. He is a reseller through Wild West Domains which is owned by GoDaddy.

But, as stated by Czar this had nothing to do with your registrar and would have happened no matter who your registrar was.

Last edited by Larwee; 09-27-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #7
etechsupport

I think godaddy and eNom both are most secured and reliable too.
etechsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #8
ApplePro

I've chose NetworkSolutions (are they resellers?). They wrote they have extra layer of protection from domain hijackers.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #9
Czar

Webmaster

ApplePro, NetworkSolutions are far from being resellers. In fact, they used to control the entire market for .com domains as government-appointed monopolists.

That said, it doesn't matter how well they protect against domain hijacking. Your domain was not hijacked in a traditional sense. As noted above, there isn't a registrar in the world who could likely have stopped your domain from being stolen given that you claimed this occurred as a result of a rogue party having complete and total access to your authoritative email account.

Please expend your efforts in securing a managed server with a good firewall and properly patched software. Please also download your emails locally and have these deleted from the server upon download completion. Moving to the most expensive registrar won't help you if you continue to host on the unmanaged EV1 box that you claim was repeatedly accessed by this rogue party, particularly if you're not familiar with the intricacies of managing a server yourself.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #10
ApplePro

Thanks for advices. I'm moving all my web sites to new web hosting (I'm searching for UK and US hosting now). But most important question, I think, is what web hosting are total secure with emails (specail email hosting). I've asked this question (about emails) on this forum, could you help me?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:42 AM   #11
dannybedor

IMHO, you can't expect to 100 percent secure if you don't own your server or datacenter itself.

Choose the one that has good proven reputation worldwide. With hundred or thousand clients on hand, they won't bother to hijack your domain or email.
dannybedor is offline   Reply With Quote