Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Website For Sale - Purchase - Barter - Trade
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #16
DragonHawk

Sorry if I sounded sceptical, just that a lot of people are out there ****ming these days. Anyway, I'll bid $1850.
DragonHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #17
creabiz

I will go $1900
creabiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #18
GSE-Media

Dragonhawk:

No problem, I do understand that it's a large investment and I can't blame anybody for wanting to be sure about it. Please check your private messages here at geekvillage if you haven't, because I have previously sent you log in information for stats and sponsors. Or, if you'd like, email me at webmaster@foxxweb.com and I will resend.

trabaho:

Last summer traffic was up at all my sites, as I was working full time on them + had an additional part timer working for me. The 3rd party stats program I use (addfreestats) doesn't show referrer information for last year, and I don't recall exactly if it was just traffic up in general or from a specific source. I do cross promote my sites (more than I should), so if my larger sites increase I usually get extra on all my others as a bonus.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I honestly just wasn't paying that close attention to mindfake at the time. Obviously, now that I have nobody working for me and I have to have a part time job myself, I realize that I probably should have paid a bit more attention
GSE-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #19
Czar

Webmaster

I'll happily bid $1950.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #20
GSE-Media

Thanks everyone for your interest, bidding is now over, I'm just waiting to hear from the winner, Creabiz...

If I don't hear from him by end of day Sat. I will contact one of the previous bidders.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:44 PM   #21
creabiz

Just let me know how to pay. I will email you.
creabiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #22
GSE-Media

Site sold!

Thanks everyone for your interest.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:51 PM   #23
Czar

Webmaster

Congratulations warlock667!

I know that this site generated a great deal of interest both before and after the closing bell and I regret that the trading window was cut so short in this case.

Nevertheless, it's always fantastic to see a genuine, established, quality site for sale on this BB and to see how much more attention these attract than those who post cookie-cutter sites or properties full of copyrighted material in the mistaken notion that doing so will be their ticket to riches.

If you do have any other similarly strong web properties that you might consider selling in the future, we do wholeheartedly invite you to do so through Geek/Talk.

Again, congratulations on a swift and successful sale.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 06-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #24
strive

do you not think that possibly many of the optical illusion images may be the property of others, and therefore constitute copyrighted materials?

I am not saying this as a negtaive, as I believe many online images, videos etc should and are often classed as being in the public domain. I am only against saleable products being ripped off, such as mp3s, feature films etc.
strive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #25
Czar

Webmaster

Great question, Strive.

It is for this reason that we not only expect, but demand sellers to post details regarding the copyright status of the work contained on a site. On most sites, the delineation is clear and the sale of sites that are clearly trying to sell content illegally are frequently shut down on this board by Team Geek or our members.

We take the issue of copyright very seriously as a community, particularly in regards to discussions about monetizing or selling sites that contain unlicensed material, as you've probably seen in recent threads such as:
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=27808
and
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=26911

In this particular case, there are some grey areas. Some of the illusion images were created by the site seller, while others were sourced from a variety of areas. Presumably, some of these would have been circulating since the 1800s or before, in which case copyrights would likely have lapsed, while some of the more recent works may - in fact - be in breach.

I can't speak for the successful buyer, but if I had bid a little earlier and won the auction, I would have set about verifying ownership and copyright status immediately, with a view to remove or license those illusions that were in doubt. I hope that the buyer will do the same, and similarly hope that most of the material used is these days free from copyright to make this process less arduous and expensive.

Again, great question. Please feel free to observe the comments that we make as a community when people are caught trying to palm off someone else's photographs, videos, templates, audio or software as their own. You'll find, I'm sure, that our position gels closely with your own.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #26
strive

Thanks very much for the thorough explanation. I read up on the other threads you suggested, and feel I've gained a much clearer understanding of how copyright issues are viewed around here.

I think my own views differs slightly in that I don't think sites such as ebaumsworld are doing alot of harm. Such sites are probably breaking copyright laws, but I have no issue with sites displaying funny videos, pictures, optical illusions etc as long as they are not ripping off someones product that would've otherwise been sold (such as an entire DVD or an mp3 single).
strive is offline   Reply With Quote