Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
dcdalton

Default a question about ? and &'s (dynamic sites)

OK, you folks have helped me out a ton in my other post & the links and articles here have REALLY opened my eyes about my site rakings & what to do for my customers rankings. In the google forum I asked about Java servlet generated pages & the general conclusion was I am good. But now after reading quite a bit I see that the SEs dont like ? and & in the URLS...here's where I am truely stuck & could use some "intelligent advice". 99% of the pages on my site and my customers are generated via one program & in the links to all of these pages are the variables I am sending so I know what page to serv up.

Is what Ive been reading correct...are the SEs going to ignore all the links with ? and & ???? This would explain the horrible rankings for my site (along with a bunch of other goodies I have discovered in my reading) and the fact that none of my content has ever been indexed....just my main page & its gibberish.

Im started a total overhaul this weekend...soup to nuts & want to start off on the right foot. Ive alo looked at XQASP Java Servlet 2.2, 2.3 (http://xde.net/xq/sku.JavaXQaspV1/qx/index.htm) as a possible solution to my problem but before I shell out the cash I really need to get some definate answers on this problem & welcome all comments from you folks.

Once again thanks for all the great info..

DC Dalton
SCJP
www.dcddesigns.com
Old 05-15-2003, 03:19 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Howdy

A few thoughts:

1. Run this string/search in Google and save it:

You can see that this answers your question and your urls are fine as per your question. THis result is all the pages G has indexed. Natch, they could be on page 1 million for a given term search.

2. Your back links:

Google 42, AllTheWeb 48, AltaVista 6, AOL 0, MSN 8, HotBot 11 and Lycos 52 links.

However we have only scratched the surface on a very complex issue. My thoughts for you (some of which you obviously already know) and other thoughts for the benifit of others.

RE: http://www.dcddesigns.com/

Goal: Improve your rankings while maintiaining a clean UI and a nice design.

Optimizing a site for G and other SE is a delicate balance between usability and design + what works best with SE which today starts with G. Saying it another way, you can get tons of unqiues from G but if they don't convert because your UI and design are not good then your going to have problems. YOUR design a great

- Have a long term outlook
- ALL your title tags must start with your keywords. Get those puppies on the left hand side like this:

Keyword - Keyword at FunkyDuck. c o m

- Choose about 5 or 10 keywords for your space and build your pages/site around these keywords. Any SEO pro and even me (gasp) use http://www.wordtracker.com

- Submit to dmoz.org (The open directory project)

- Trade links with similar sites. Creat a seperate page for this which branches from your home and includes descriptions.

- Remove those links in the upper right corner of your home page unless they are linking back to you and stick them on your links/resources page

- I thought I saw a .swf splash page but in any case a spash page in Flash should be an interior page where you demonstrate your talents and not the first page they see.

-Keyword density. Others may do this differently and they can beat me up later

Assumption: target keywords: orange widgets

Use in the title tag on the left
Use once at the top of the page inside the copy, again in the middle, and finally at the bottom with 300 words of copy. Make one of them at the top a <h1> bold

-Try and make your site links keyword rich

- Use the title="Return To Our Home Page" inside your href links to improve usability and a slight boost

- Study your competition in Google. Continue to study them.

- Get yourself a stats program that can tell you which SE they used and the exact term which was used for this unique.

- G loves content. The more the better. This is hard to do for many sites. A page a day or at least a few new pages every week.

- Keep planing before your start the redesign. Iv'e got a similar issue on the other part of GV (not the forums) and I'm still planning.

<wew>

HTH

Other geeks thoughts please ?

Last edited by Steve_S; 05-15-2003 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:55 AM   #3
Timo

Hi,

Nice looking site. urls with ?'s are definitely ok in google

you need a robots txt
add a site map

While I am no SEO I do seem to have a knack for getting top listings in google so you can take the following how you wish

I took a look at one of your pages (logo design) for keyword density etc., and it needs a bit of work. Your Page title, url and copy isn't using the same phrase, and the copy on the page is a bit tenative making you wordy.

If I was targeting the phrase logo designs:

Page Title: DCDDesigns: Logo Designs
URL http://www.dcddesigns.com/servlet/Pa...me=logodesigns
Article Title: Logo Designs

Get rid of phrases like "we feel" and "we try". It's great for increasing keyword/phrase density, and makes you sound more confident in your abilities.

Quote:
We try to keep our logo designs simple yet powerful enough to convey the company's image
Get rid of the "we try to keep". 4 less keywords on the page and sounds more positive. If someone is paying you, I am sure they are expecting you to do more than try

Change to: Our logo designs are simple yet powerful....

Quote:
As you will probably notice we like color, we feel it grabs the customer's attention.
get rid of "as you will probably notice" (wordy)
try and work in the phrase "logo designs", (keyword phrase)
get rid of "feel" and replace it with a more positive objective term like "our experience" or "research"

Quote:
By the way these are great example of pop up windows
Get rid of that. Nothing to do with logos and it is diluting keywords/phrases.

Hope this helped

Tim

Last edited by Timo; 05-16-2003 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
Steve_S

WOW Great stuff Tim.

A few other issues. Some of which are a bit of a nit pick kinda things but given the time involved we should throw them into the pot. Natch, you can pass this stuff onto your clients and hopefully raise your rates at the same time

RE: http://www.dcddesigns.com

- Your "mark/logo" in the top left corner should link back to your home page and the alt tag should tell the visitor what it does and include a few keywords. Note: all images should have decriptive alt tags. I see most of yours do but wanted to make sure.

- Create a custom error page (not the default) and include your site map on this error page.

- Change to this at the bottom: Copyright 2001-2003. All rights reserved.

- Create a "Privacy" policy page and link. Since you are US based this should also include a COPPA statement. See mine for a rough idea

Good luck
Old 05-16-2003, 04:17 PM   #5
dcdalton

Wow you folks have REALLY opened my eyes & helped me see things that I never even gave a second glance to before. Im spending the next 2 days just re-doing this site RIGHT & then am going to start the new design. This site is WAY old & was thrown together in bits & pieces when I had time, now that I want it to be more of a primary business thing its going to be right OR ELSE.

Thanks for the compliment Tim, I liked the design when I first did it but to be honest Im SO bored with it....I really want to spiff up the graphics & really push it over the top (without messing up the marketability)....its just a touch drab looking. I do a lot of entertainment sites & those people want clitz & glamour so my "plain jane" approach tends to turn them off..

Ill be around, thats for sure..... I REALLY appreciate the input & like the open mindedness of this BB & the willingness to help....always glad to "return the favor" when possible..

Last edited by dcdalton; 05-16-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:41 PM   #6
Timo

I was wondering about the role the /servlet/ played in your search engine rankings in google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search

look where you rank

Just wondering if you have to use servlets for your main entry pages? I would think that domain.com/logodesigns.jsp would rank higher than domain.com/servlet/PageServer?pageName=logodesigns.

Tim
Old 05-17-2003, 01:46 PM   #7
dcdalton

Im actually redoing it now so that the main entry page is html (yuck!) but if it helps Im willing to try it...

Wow that is an amazing ranking....how the heck did that happen?!?!?

I really am suprized at the indexing I have gotten considering how bad the layout & code really was. I get very little traffic (something I intend to fix) but when I do get traffic 90% of the time it comes from search engines.

Last edited by dcdalton; 05-17-2003 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:25 PM   #8
Steve_S

Interesting. Let's get really GEEKY

Please note: I'm in the middle of an article on this subject so some of the data in this post is a one time only exception to illustrate how wordtracker works. I respectfully hope folks understand as this stuff costs money and I will probably get a nasty email from a SEO Pro for giving away secrets I can understande this as choosing and building a site for the most popular keywords is the "holy grail" of SEO.

Both of those terms show zero hits in wordtracker:

To appear here, your keyword needs at least three
appearances in the last 347 million searches.

As opposed to these results which are sorted:

Keyword Count Predict Dig
web design 5888 5421
web site design 1761 1621
web page design 1419 1306
web design software 604 556
free web design 561 516
design web page 521 480
free web page design 372 342
web design uk 312 287
web site design uk 312 287
free web design software 267 246
web designs 262 241
web design tips 260 239
web page design software 244 225
affordable web design 241 222
http design group - web page des 221 203
web design london 218 201
uk web design 211 194
web design company 202 186

Next: From what I understand their is a slight...repeate slight advantage in placing everything in the top level of your domain like domain. c om/keyword.htm

However, for most of us thats not feasable from an organization standpoint and their is no significant benifit, so we do this:

domain.c o m/keyword_keyword/keyword_keyword.htm or .php etc

HTH
Old 05-17-2003, 02:35 PM   #9
dcdalton

What I am trying to do in the new version is to make the page name reflect the keywords that page represents...now that I know servlets are OK (thank heaven) I have gone to this format (or should I say I am going) http://www.dcddesigns.com/servlet/Pa...eb_Site_Design, then the title tags of the pages will be Web_Site_Design by DCD Designs 4(my titles are generated by using the name of the text file I am reading for content so in this case the text file will be called Web_Site_Design.txt.

My only concern is, of course the _ 's - Cant have spaces in the file names on a Linux box running Java. Any comments?

Boy I thought I had a nice quiet weekend coming until you guys got my brain buzzing!

Last edited by dcdalton; 05-17-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #10
Steve_S

Lightbulb

IMHO their is no difference between:

keyword-keyword.html and keyword_keyword.html

The same holds true for the directory name so if you can replace /servlets/ with /keyword_keyword/

Title tags should have spaces between keywords

Study your competition at:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/

Chuckle: I already got a nice email telling me that this SEO stuff isn't worth money and their is no way to quantify the value ----chuckle.

Response for the emailer: Run a search in overture for "web design"

The top spot is paying $2.89 per click and the number 10 spot is paying 90 cents per click. Do the math for your rankings and you can see that in 6 months all this work could be worth thousands of dollars in targeted free traffic

HTH

Old 05-17-2003, 03:12 PM   #11
dcdalton

Some people just dont get it. I teach programming at a NY area IT school & I see these types every day....you know the "roll your eyes" "why would I ever want to do that" type people.... I just snicker becuase some day reality will slap them right in the face!

As far as the /servets/ ....cant do that, that triggers the servlet engine into knowing its a servlet request coming in, not a standard html page. I could remap all of the servlets to names but really dont have the time for that right now!
Old 05-17-2003, 03:24 PM   #12
Steve_S

hahahah..........so true The emailer thanked us

Iv'e never done a symbolic link but this might work for you and permit you to change /servlet/ to /keyword_keyword/

I found this page:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...tml?tw=backend

HTH
Old 05-17-2003, 03:31 PM   #13
dcdalton

Actually the ability to do that is built right into the servlet engine, called a "servlet alias" but on this particular engine (Jakarta Tomcat) it is such a pain in the butt to set up its not even funny. Im getting a dedicated box next month (gonna start doing hosting) then I can play with these goodies without having to bother the hosting company...... one little bit at a time, but there is definately a method to my madness!
Old 05-19-2003, 09:48 PM   #14
dcdalton

Well I got SOME of it done this weekend , including a new streamlined coding & links that all reflect the keywords....also go the bad links out & those ones on the right out, since they didnt link back to me..... See what you think www.dcddesigns.com

BTW, Im dying to know how you find the backlinks you posted above !
Quote:
2. Your back links:
Google 42, AllTheWeb 48, AltaVista 6, AOL 0, MSN 8, HotBot 11 and Lycos 52 links.
I also did some submitting but dmoz was having some "techinical" issues... I could have showrn I submitted to them but there was nothing there so I "tried again" ... I do know how important they are!

Last edited by dcdalton; 05-19-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:17 AM   #15
Timo

Hi,

I looked at the logo designs page again and I can see the changes you have made. Much better! I think you are going to have to fit in "logo designs" a few more times in the page to improve your keyword density. You won't know for sure until the next update though.

Try and find your current rankings in Google and compare to your next update. Start a log to track changes in rankings.

Just looked at your meta tags and you need to slim them down to target the page. While many SE's do have problems with the ?'s, that can change any day so you might as well be ready for it.

Quote:
<META NAME='Keywords' CONTENT='Web Site Design, Dynamic web pages, Logo Design, Custom Graphics, Web Site Management, Web Site Promotion Tools, Webmaster, HTML, D-HTML, XML, Java, JavaScripts, Visual Basic Applications, Sql, Oracle, CSS, HTML Tutorials, HTML Tips & Tricks, Photoshop Tutorials, Programming, Perl, Flash 5, Web Site Navigation, Web Site Load Time, Browser Wars'>
Consider removing nearly everything but logos, logo designs and related terms. No need for XML, Java, JavaScripts, Visual Basic Applications, Sql, Oracle etc...

DMOZ has had its problems of late. Don't worry, just keep trying to get in If you continue to have problems, e-mail the editor of your cat. Make sure to explain your problem, and include your site name, url, and desired description.

BTW you have a (sp) on http://www.dcddesigns.com/servlet/Pa...aster_Services

Content Changes-Updates Contact us with your requirements for a plan that is taylored to your needs.

hope this helps,

Tim

Last edited by Timo; 05-20-2003 at 06:19 AM.