Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2002, 07:34 PM   #31
DotDealers

eBay definitely works...

One of my best friend's brother owned a clock shop for about 15 years and was making a decent living for his family. Almost 2 years ago he started selling his clocks on eBay and now makes about ten times as much money a month selling them online than the shop was making.

Another friend used to work a Play It Again Sports and was a buyer for a local vintage clothing resellers shop. He quit both jobs and started auctioning vintage clothes on eBay that he finds at garage sales and stores silmilar to where he worked. Last year he cleared over $40 grand working very part-time and this year he says he is going to triple that! Not bad money!

Just thought I would pass it on...

Much Success!
Old 01-24-2002, 05:25 AM   #32
DJ_B

I knew someone who was able to get wholesale prices with sony. Basically, what he would do would be to check bestbuy.com and see what their lowest price was. A lot of the time he was able to get the product for $100+ cheaper through sony (digital camera's were his number one seller last time i spoke to him). Then in his auction, the main selling point would be how his product was so and so dollars less then bestbuy.com. He would also post a lot of notices at the local colleges for his products and sell the products locally/privately.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:25 AM   #33
Raging Affiliate
Member.

hello again suave!
ive always done well with auctions and the only time i didnt sell my product was with domain names!
you have not only ebay, but i did super good over at amazons auctions and yahoo used to have some too~

youre smart to search and see what does and doesnt sell!

here are some links for you that i found, for closeouts and stuff, hope it helps youll probably want to search for salvage goods, closeouts, etc

http://www.aaacloseoutsnetwork.com/

http://www.closeouts.digiscape.net/products.htm

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Ec...s/Wholesalers/

one word of advice, you may want to avoid any company that has catalog of their merchandise and claim it is a close out or wholesale, people like SMC. i used to be a furniture broker and know wholesale prices and their prices are actually higher than retail!

maybe youll get lucky and find someone that drop ships, meaning, you never see the product, but the company will ship directly to your customer!

Last edited by Raging Affiliate; 01-24-2002 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:49 AM   #34
cutecat

I know someone that makes $250-$400 a week selling complete runs of old cartoons on VHS tape copies. He is able to sell certain complete runs like Transformers and He-man regularly because these series have not made it to DVD yet. Since the series is like 100 episodes, he very often can easily get a starting bid of $50, sometimes he says that he has luck with the bid reaching $80 or more!
I'm thinking of getting another VCR and trying this out for myself

Last edited by cutecat; 01-25-2002 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:09 AM   #35
JP Sauve
Member.

I'm quite positive copying and selling videos is against copyright laws.

Last edited by JP Sauve; 01-25-2002 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:52 AM   #36
KentyMac

One of my students when I was a TA in college was making money hand-over-fist on eBay. Somehow he was able to buy stereo components in bulk at a low price and then resell them on eBay. For instance, he'd buy 10 stereo receivers and then sell them individually. Seems like he was making at least $50-100 per item. I have no idea who his source was and searched the net myself trying to find wholesale distributors of such items without results.

Does anyone know what it takes to become a wholesale receiver of items like stereo components or even smaller things like DVDs or CDs?

- KentyMac
Old 01-25-2002, 01:08 PM   #37
Raging Affiliate
Member.

i can tell you!

i used to be a furniture broker and this was in arizona.

all you need to buy wholesale is a resellers permit and usually a tax ID number from the IRS.

the easiest place to get a resellers permit is in Arizona. the cost was only $10.00 and you can do it by mail.

once you have that, you can go online and find all types of wholesalers and buy direct from them. in my experience, real wholesalers dont require bulk purchases usually only salvagers and surplus places require that.

it is a lot easier than you think to buy wholesale. and as a matter of fact, MOST of the wholesalers didnt even ASK me for my resellers number. ALSO you dont have to pay taxes on it either (im referring to sales tax) that is reported monthly when you do your reseller statement to the state.

the place to get the permit in arizona, where i got mine, is in Tempe. if i recall, it is the department of revenue or taxation.

you can also buy a trademark in arizona thru the secretary of state by mail for like $5-$10. not sure of the price now it is good for 5 years!

http://LaurenStephens.com
Now paying $75 per referral!
Old 01-25-2002, 01:38 PM   #38
tama

Default Reside in state

Hi Raging,

You were able to register your wholesalers license in AZ when you lived there. Can others who live out-of-state do that or do they need to live in the state they register in. (AZ sounds very inexpensive).
Old 01-25-2002, 01:41 PM   #39
tama

Default To Admin

Please move my original post to the "making money with auctions" thread. I accidentally hit "New Thread" instead of "Post Reply." Sorry.....
Old 01-25-2002, 03:36 PM   #40
Simone

After reading this topic I looked at Ebay to find products related to my old business in Italy as an importer and i can report that It's easy find products at cheap prices to sell on Ebay.
For example I found an Ebay seller that sell a total 150/200 pieces a week of 4 products at 3.99 I can find the same product at 0.20 /0.40 $ from a manufacter outside U.S. plus the shipping cost that can be around 0.10/0.30 depending of quantitity the minimum order is around 1000 pieces each product.
This is just an example to find brand products look at wholesalers in France,Germany,Spain,Hong Kong you can find some products that in U.S. sell well, but don't in Europe ,so the wholesaler can liquidate the same products you pay at high price.Some years ago I imported from France 500 pieces of a product manufactered in Japan at 5 $ when the same product was at 50$ from Hong Kong wholesalers or in Japan the country of origin and 70/80 $ in store in U.S. I sold all the 500 pieces in 3 months at 30$.

For non brand products look at Hong Kong,China,Indonesia, and Taiwan, most time you are required to buy 1000 pieces each product but if you look at products at 0.20/0.40 is not a big amount.

Thanks Suave for starting this topic, now I'm planning to move in the U.S. to start this business, I have already a company in U.S. so I already to start.
Old 01-26-2002, 04:09 AM   #41
cashaday

Hi I am from India if any body wants any products from India I can send you.

You send me the list of product what you like to sell on EBay or .... .

I will search here for lowest price and send the price list to you and if you feel itís cheaper and you can buy.

I feel some products will be cheaper in India cause $1=Rs47

Old 01-26-2002, 07:32 AM   #42
Duchz

If anyone needs any products from Austria or Germany I might do a search for you and provide you with business leads.