Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2003, 02:36 PM   #16
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Your back links may be obtained from:

http://www.marketleap.com/publinkpop/

Or, see my sig for another script which does this but on occassions gives funky results from Google.

Tip: When you get around to creating your links page and swapping/trading links, be very specific in what each partner gets if you can. The best way is to use a title link that is keyword rich and then a short description which is also keyword rich. This is sometimes refered to as your "anchor text"

Tip: I presume and hope you have chosen your keywords for your new design and SEO tweaks. Please be very very very carefull on how you use them and insure that it's an exact match. My other post in this thread listed some keywords by ranking so you might consider using:

web site design

Which is not the same as: Website Design

Google gives a lot of weight to your title tag and keyword density as the other geeks have mentioned.

If you are concerned about folks bookmarking your site and branding with your company name inlieu of this keyword rich title tags then consider a little JS sliver of bookmark me in JS for the real humans and not the bots.

Please don't get discouraged and take your time. If this stuff were easy and any Jane or Bob could do it then we wouldn't have a thriving SEO industry

I'm confident that once you complete this and see the improved results in a few months your clients will get a valuable service from you and your rates will increase

HTH
Old 05-22-2003, 12:33 AM   #17
dcdalton

Well I just spent the day redoing all of the keywords for the site to make sure of exact matches I pulled them right from the page copy. I have to tell you though Im really depressed with the results from that marketleap site's tools. I did key word checks on my major ones like web site design & have NO ranking anywhere on the freaking web....man talk about starting at the bottom of the barrel! OUCH!

I still have to get a site map & links page up, but did get a custom error page up...... Im really kind of curious about the links though. Everyone say links that relate to what you are doing, I take that as my competition so how the heck is that supposed to work. Or should I be linking to other sites that do tutorials & such?

I also see Googles pages are going nutzo with changes, my god one day I checked a clients site with the trick you showed me & it only had 1.5 pages of indexes....2 hours later there were 15 pages! Yikes.

I was also wondering something that might be a stupid question but Ill ask anyways...if Google is dancing once a month & it lasts for a week or so when the heck does it actually stabilize, for a week a month? If thats the case than it really is influx all the time to me & next to nothing is guaranteed.

Thanks again all.... learning a LOT here....I owe you all a big one
Old 05-22-2003, 06:38 AM   #18
Timo

Quote:
Im really kind of curious about the links though. Everyone say links that relate to what you are doing, I take that as my competition so how the heck is that supposed to work. Or should I be linking to other sites that do tutorials & such?
Every web designer has his or her own personal style. So do potential clients. When a client goes to a webdesigners site, they either like what they see and add to their shortlist, or move on.

So look at exchanging links a different way. There are hundreds if not thousands of sites you could exchange links with, so concentrate on traffic that is more likey to convert into sales. I would think that someone visiting you via a link from a webdesign company is more likely interested in purchasing services than someone from a tutorial site. If you want to get into a tutorial site to increase your exposure, offer some articles with the provision they provide a link back to your site.

Quote:
if Google is dancing once a month & it lasts for a week or so when the heck does it actually stabilize, for a week a month? If thats the case than it really is influx all the time to me & next to nothing is guaranteed.
Welcome to google

I believe google is testing a new algo with an older database, so there have been some dramatic shifts.

Google listings stabilize for about 3 to 4 weeks, then they go through the dance again. Yes it is in flux and nothing is guaranteed which is both a blessing and curse. It allows you to see the effects of your SEO much faster, get new pages listed faster etc. and great for the surfer who gets to see more up to date information.

The bummer is we all end up crossing our fingers every month as we watch google do her "jig", praying nothing bad happens to our listings.

Last edited by Timo; 05-22-2003 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:08 AM   #19
dcdalton

WELL folks I gotta tell you ALL how great this has been & for those unbelievers out there I say HOEY.

My traffic has doubled this week (which isnt saying much but it doubled) On several of the combos of keywords I have hit top 20
(try google website + designs + navigation) Im first page OH MY GOD ... I got my first ever "from a search engine" client in today (havent snagged it but a quote at least) ... all of my business to this point has always been word of mouth.

So it's started & YES folks I give credit where it is due... this BBS & the great folks who have helped out I am truly impressed & I still have a lot of your ideas to add to the site (no time this second) .... once again I tip my hat & say thanks a million....Im forever at your service
Old 05-31-2003, 08:21 AM   #20
Timo

Quote:
My traffic has doubled this week
That's great news! Glad we could be of help.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:02 PM   #21
Steve_S

Outstanding and congrats Please let us know when you have tweaked more of the site so we can all help.

<begin_tiisue>

Congrats to all in this thread. It's exactly what I was striving for and I could not be any happier. We have had a few others in the G forum which also reinforce our collective mission of quality and never quantity.

This thread is above and beyond many other Communities of which most are my competitors. I'm sorry to pound my chest a little, but the collective knowledge of a Community is such a powerfull force.

All Communities have pluses and minuses but anyone reading this thread will certainly be able to learn and monitor a site as we all continue to tweak for better SERPs.

<end_tissue>

Old 11-01-2003, 01:18 AM   #22
Nintendo

if you have trouble geting any URLs indexed that have the ? and & in them, do mod_rewrite. Google will think there static URLs and crawl them as if they are static URLs.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:31 PM   #23
jclarkkent2003

Quote:
IMHO their is no difference between:

keyword-keyword.html and keyword_keyword.html

The same holds true for the directory name so if you can replace /servlets/ with /keyword_keyword/

Title tags should have spaces between keywords
Question: Do the folder path and file name matter in search engine rankings? How much? Is there a formula out there on how google weighs all of the indiv. characteristics?

Say there's a link to index.php?keyword=anotherkeyword&lastkeyword

keyword = php variable
anotherkeyword = folder name
lastkeyword = file name

Will this be ranked higher than something like, index.php?notakeyword=filename

filename NOT being a keyword this time

Another Excellent question I keep forgetting to ask, does the url string length matter at all? Does google prefer shorter as opposed to longer strings (folder paths and file names)?

What about domains? I know domains play a major role in one's rankings, and games.c o m is worth a whole lot, but what about something like 0games.c o m, will google look as closely on it? what about zgames. c o m or anything like 007games. co m ?

Quote:
if you have trouble geting any URLs indexed that have the ? and & in them, do mod_rewrite. Google will think there static URLs and crawl them as if they are static URLs.
How does one' do a mod rewrite?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:53 PM   #24
Jack

Quote:
Question: Do the folder path and file name matter in search engine rankings? How much? Is there a formula out there on how google weighs all of the indiv. characteristics?
There is no publically known formula as Google and other engines do not want everyone to know exactly how they rate sites. We do have general knowledge of how much each part counts though.

In terms of everything 'in the address bar' including file names, paths, and domain name keywords, yes it does help some. However, it is not incredibly important. I expect it to actually be of less importance in the future as anyone can design a site that spams keywords in the domain/file names.

Quote:
Say there's a link to index.php?keyword=anotherkeyword&lastkeyword

keyword = php variable
anotherkeyword = folder name
lastkeyword = file name

Will this be ranked higher than something like, index.php?notakeyword=filename

filename NOT being a keyword this time
Anything past the ? in a URL does not count as a keyword to Google. You can tell this by looking at results Google shows. It will not bold anything after the ?.

Quote:
Another Excellent question I keep forgetting to ask, does the url string length matter at all? Does google prefer shorter as opposed to longer strings (folder paths and file names)?
I've never read any good article on this so I can't tell you for sure. However, I always design my sites to have as short URL strings as possible as I worry about this being a factor.

Quote:
What about domains? I know domains play a major role in one's rankings, and games.c o m is worth a whole lot, but what about something like 0games.c o m, will google look as closely on it? what about zgames. c o m or anything like 007games. co m ?
No, domains do not play a major role IMO. They provide a small boost, but they are in no way necessary. Also, to receive any benefit from keywords in domains, there must be a dash between them. For example, 007games.com will receive no boost for the keyword games. 007-games.com would though. However, once again, the domain's value in my opinion has been overstated in the community.

The thing not as many people realize about domains though is that if you name your site after your primary keywords, it is much more likely to get someone to link to you with the keywords within the link text. Keywords in the link text are huge in determining your Google ranking.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:29 PM   #25
jclarkkent2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack
There is no publically known formula as Google and other engines do not want everyone to know exactly how they rate sites. We do have general knowledge of how much each part counts though.

In terms of everything 'in the address bar' including file names, paths, and domain name keywords, yes it does help some. However, it is not incredibly important. I expect it to actually be of less importance in the future as anyone can design a site that spams keywords in the domain/file names.

Anything past the ? in a URL does not count as a keyword to Google. You can tell this by looking at results Google shows. It will not bold anything after the ?.

I've never read any good article on this so I can't tell you for sure. However, I always design my sites to have as short URL strings as possible as I worry about this being a factor.

No, domains do not play a major role IMO. They provide a small boost, but they are in no way necessary. Also, to receive any benefit from keywords in domains, there must be a dash between them. For example, 007games.com will receive no boost for the keyword games. 007-games.com would though. However, once again, the domain's value in my opinion has been overstated in the community.

The thing not as many people realize about domains though is that if you name your site after your primary keywords, it is much more likely to get someone to link to you with the keywords within the link text. Keywords in the link text are huge in determining your Google ranking.
So keywords in link text on other sites is the MAIN determinate?

What else plays MAJOR, and what are the MINOR roles? I need to benifit from ALL the major and even ALL the minor if i'm ever going to get a top ranking for the keywords "arcade games"

so if i put a - in between my words in the domain name it will rank higher? so 007arcadegames won't pick up when arcade games is searched? ever?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:36 AM   #26
Jack

Quote:
So keywords in link text on other sites is the MAIN determinate?
One of the biggest. It also takes into account keyword text links pointing to pages on your site too though.

Quote:
What else plays MAJOR, and what are the MINOR roles? I need to benifit from ALL the major and even ALL the minor if i'm ever going to get a top ranking for the keywords "arcade games"
Major Roles:

Text within links pointing to your pages
Text within your title tag
Text within H tags (as in H1, etc)
Text within bold tags
The major keywords used on pages that linked to your site
Text within no tags on your site (body of the site)

Minor Roles (stuff you can ignore):

Text within your domain name
Text within the file path or file name
Text within your meta keywords or meta description (of no importance for some engines)

Quote:
so if i put a - in between my words in the domain name it will rank higher? so 007arcadegames won't pick up when arcade games is searched? ever?
I stated in the my other post that I believe keywords within the domain name are highly overrated. I definitely do not think it is needed nor a reason to change your domain name. You are correct, 007arcadegames does not count for arcade games. It would have to be 007-arcade-games.com to count for arcade games.