Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2001, 06:34 PM   #1
Bryan

Unhappy The war against ad blockers.

With programs like adsubtract on the loose, it's becoming easier and easier for people to leech.

Heck, it's so easy for a user to block ads of a company he doesn't like. All he has to do is put the ips of the ad companies he doesn't like into his hosts.deny or ipchains/iptables.

This seems to automatically elimated all major networks, leaving only text links, or banner ads which are being served from the website's machine.

What can we do to combat this? Every day, I see less and less Engage ads being served even though the site they are on is getting more and more traffic. The IS getting to be a problem.

------------------
-Bryan
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2001, 06:56 PM   #2
gethosted

Unhappy

The good thing about adsubtract is that 90% of the users have it so that blocked%by%ad%subtract is in the referring url. The way my site is served through a script, I am thinking of making it so that if that is seen in the referrers, no webpage is served. Yes, I know I could say "this is an ad supported site", but why encourage them to make it more stealthy? Just let 'em think it's missing.

------------------
Ezcoolpages: Free 20 megs webhosting for all sites, including celeb.
Harsh Rejection: Send a clever personalized E-poem to show your true feelings.
Celeb Banner Exchange
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 03:57 AM   #3
WildComputer

Unhappy

Unless your site targets a very tech audience, I don't think most users are savvy enough to pick out ads they don't like, they will just go with the default settings for ad-subtract or whatever

If I was trying to block 'em I would redirect to a special entranece page saying:

1. This is the reasons why you want to view the site. (sales letter)
2. All content on this site is available for free, because the costs associated are covered by our sponsors
3. You have detected that they have currently blocked sponsor's ads. Give them a choice:
i. remove ad-subtract (give them instructions)
or
ii. Pay $5 (or whatever) to get a 1 day pass

The users are not the enemy, most of them don't even know they're doing something "wrong".

------------------
Sunil Tanna
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 04:04 AM   #4
intellected

Unhappy

No offense here, but don't start biting the hand that feeds you. I think we should start dealing with the fact that visitors hate banners, and adapt to that. Why?

1. The visitors who use ad blockers hate banner ads, and wouldn’t click on them anyway.
This is the most important thing to consider. If you make sneaky banners which somehow appear even though they have an ad-blocker, they will not click on them. They hate them, remember?

2. Ad-blocking visitors can buy stuff!
So, they hate banners, right? This does NOT mean that they are worthless visitors, as many here seem to think! Just because people use an ad-blocker doesn't mean that they doesn't have money to burn! Like ANYONE ELSE, they can be interested in great products and great services.

3. Eyeballs are worthless, and so is the webmaster selling them
Most of the people complaining are probably selling ads on a CPM basis, which essentially mean that they get paid for each viewing of the banner, worthless (as in ad-blocker users case) or not. These webmasters does only think from their own perspective. They are not considering the fact that this ad-blocking visitor is worthless to the banner advertiser, and the banner advertiser is just annoying to the visitor. They are exploiting both the visitors, by serving him annoying ads, and the advertiser, by serving ads to a demographic that hates them.

4. Text ads work BETTER!
Most of the ad-blocking visitors just hate the graphical-flashy-fancy-look-at-me banners – this includes 99% of ALL visitors, not just the ones that show it by using an ad-blocker. They do not abhor informative text links. [a href=http://www.sitepoint.com]Sitepoint[/url] has started using text adverts instead of graphical one, and the clickthru-rate has increased dramatically. (I don't quite remember the figure, but it was quite impressive)

So sign up at CJ and find yourself a useful demographic.
intellected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 06:02 AM   #5
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

I've never had a complaint about banners. I think it's pop ups (and their dramatic increase) that has fueled the sudden interest in ad blocking. As mentioned numerous times, surfers are able to ignore banners if they aren't of interest. As for CJ? No thanks. I'm currently looking for a replacement http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 12:51 PM   #6
JakeJeck

Unhappy

intellected,

One of the major "selling points" of AdSubtract is to "speed up your surfing!" by removing banners. It's not that the people hate banners necessarily, it's that they think they're going to surf alot faster by not having the banners load.
JakeJeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 01:00 PM   #7
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

If you have your own dedicated server you should read Senior GEEK Arie's post in: http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005567-2.html

The legal issue is rather clear cut according to my attorney. You can not alter the content and or look and feel of this BB/site without my prior written permission. And the answer is NO It's all about federal Copyright Law and I sure wish the highly respected Walt Mossberg of the WSJ would have broached this subject in his last big article on the MS windows xp smart links thing. He missed the boat and I told him so.

I'm not that worried about this issue at the present time and frankly exspect additional techniques to arrive. MS will be the one to watch as they have a huge cash cow and could fight the issue in court for years.

None of the other "companies/individuals" appear to be public with cash for a protracted legal battle. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this issue?

Another interesting twist on this issue which would work on any site with the right scripts like vBulletin is:

You creat a special user group and only this user group sees the site/BB using a custom template that has no adverts in it. Natch, you sell the rights to this user group for xxx permonth. The rest of the members/visitors see the site/bb in all it's resplendent glory which includes adverts. They can't use the advert free template. Easy to do in vB. Not sure about others.

HTH

http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant." -Horace
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 01:50 PM   #8
gethosted

Unhappy

I have developed a script addon for my site which blocks ad blockers. The problem is, distributing scripts like this is just asking for the makers of ad-subtract to get ahold of it and block it http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif.

Someone said in another thread javascript is the way to fight it. I disagree, as server side scripting cannot simply not be downloaded, unlike javascript. I think the only way to fight back is on the server level.

------------------
Ezcoolpages: Free 20 megs webhosting for all sites, including celeb.
Harsh Rejection: Send a clever personalized E-poem to show your true feelings.
Celeb Banner Exchange
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 04:55 PM   #9
adw

Unhappy

The ad blocker software has been arond for quite a long time, It shouldn't be a big problem until a big company like AOL starts distrubuting it.

Other then that, I've seen ad blockers since 1998, they don't go anywhere.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.ddservers.com" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.ddservers.com</A>
Prices start at $249 for dedicated servers. Get yours today!
adw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 11:30 PM   #10
Tetraboy

Unhappy

Ok..
&lt;web surfer mode&gt;
Banners are ok with me especially targeted banners. Popups all get on my popupkiller list. Popunders are ok as long as you keep em to about 1 per visit... Ill let those pop sometimes to support the webmaster. Flash Layer ads Any site using this I add to a restricted sites list so the scripting they're using wont work. In the end banners, buttons, skyscrapers, and cubes dont bother me. When done right popunders arent that big. Unless you do like ezboard... ( new popunder pops up for every page you check you're taskbar and have 16 popunders to close is very annoying. )
&lt;/web surfer mode&gt;
Tetraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 11:36 PM   #11
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Intellected, you forget that many of these ad blockers don't let viewers check out certain textlinks also. There have been cases in which ad blockers replace known links for their own purpose.
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote